Gluten Free Recipes

Page 2 / 46
herika, Sep 8, 1:50am
melford every gluten free diet is restrictive in that gluten intolerant people cant have anything with gluten in it. But what I was trying to say was there is plenty we can eat. I only recently found out that the Regular So Good So milk is gluten free and I tried it and its great but as for the other soy milks that have barley in, I will continue to tell people that simply because some people, esp the ones new to the GF diet just dont know. Some Coeliacs are able to (or do anyway) eat things some gluten intolerant people cant, I know that, but I will keep mentioning what I do and pointing out certain things, not for you or people who do know, but for people who dont know. Lots of people have been very grateful for this knowledge and have told me so, but if the info isnt of any use to you then thats ok. I just like to inform people then they can make their own choices :)

darlingmole, Sep 8, 1:53am
i asked a lady at the supermarket (who was selling gluten free food) what was so good about being gluten free. Apparently it "bungs" up the bowels ... so if you want to lose weight I guess we should eat more gluten free foods eh?

herika, Sep 8, 4:08am
the lady at the supermarket obviously doesnt know much. For some people who already suffer constipation, the gluten free diet makes it worse, so its not good for those people !

herika, Sep 8, 4:15am
ooops should also say that if those people are Coeliacs and they have to be on a GF diet they would need to eat plenty of fruit and veges etc to help them deal with the constipation :)

herika, Sep 9, 4:08am
Im gluten intolerant, cows milk intolerant, cant have vege gums (a lot of Coeliacs are ok with these), anything classed as a gum such as tapioca, seaweed etc (a lot of Coeliacs can have these). So Coeliacs who are only gluten intolerant can eat more than people who are gluten intolerant and also have other food intolerances. (Hope Ive explained this right) :)

mmecholet, Sep 9, 4:38am
herika, have you heard of the specific carbohydrate diet? (www dot pecanbread dot com) A doctor I worked for was helping some of his (Autism) patients implement that diet and they were getting amazing results. I just mentioned it because I remember almost everyone being unable to tolerate gluten, dairy (at least initially) and a host of other things, including gums which indicated it was more than gluten they needed to avoid. They use honey instead of sugar, and only any carbohydrate that is able to be broken down in the top portion of the digestive tract.

herika, Sep 9, 6:45pm
hi mmecholet thanks for that. I have looked at the SCD diet before and one thing they stipulate is people who have a problem with corn, buckwheat, rice and soy benefit from the diet as these are not allowed on it. While I cant have buckwheat and have to be careful with corn, Im fine with rice and soy. Also the recipes use a lot of expensive nut butters and often have an ingredient or something in I wouldnt have (not saying what or why so I dont get accused of being pedantic or extreme). So although it could help a lot of people I will stick to the diet I have worked out for myself. Thank you for mentioning it though, Im always open to hearing about or learning anything new :)

cathnjim, Sep 9, 7:03pm
scd The specific carbohydrate diet is quite interesting, but quite restrictive. the site I have put below says it is for anybody with bowel disorders, even coeliacs. At the home page, it has a legal/illegal list you can click onto and a list of foods that are allowed etc. http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle. info/beginners_guide/begi
nners.htm

mmecholet, Sep 10, 12:50am
I know this is going further off topic (ie not gluten free recipes! ) but re the SCD - I have a 5 y. o unable to eat dairy (cows milk products anyway) and I'm really keen to try and make some SCD yogurt to see if the 24 hour fermentation process makes the proteins OK for him to digest. The SCD for autistic children often starts out very restrictive but as bowel healing takes place and the resultant processing of accumulated heavy metals, restoration of bacteria in the gut etc. they often expand to be able to eat quite a wide variety... . though not gluten or unfermented dairy usually. It's good you're fine with rice Herika - we eat a LOT of that around here :))

gingerlime, Sep 10, 3:31am
For the G/F Jaffas who are interested PnS Mt Albert is now stocking all three Massel powdered GF stock, chicken, beef and veg. It will be on the shelves by Friday. One of their grocery managers is in charge of ordering in most of the GF foods (they have quite a large section that is getting more varied and bigger each time I go in), and he is very helpful and pleasant to deal with. He is also looking at the possibility of getting Tamari Soy Sauce in. (Wheat free, Non fermented). Unfortunately I threw out my empty bottle. Does anyone have one in the cupboard that they can give me the relevant info, maker, distributor, ingredients, etc so that I can pass them on to him please?

herika, Sep 10, 4:28am
just incase you are interested gingerlime Braggs All Purpose Seasoning is a sauce soy. All it is is soybeans - non-GMO and purified water only. It not fermented has no alcohol, preservatives, additives, colouring agents or chemicals. Its tastes just like ordinary soy sauce. The NZ distributor is Ceres Enterprises, 3 Connor Place Mt Wellington, Auckland. I bought it at my local health shop :)

melford, Sep 10, 5:03am
Tamari is imported by "Enso International Ltd 8 Stanley Street Christchurch. It is called San J Organic Tamari (Wheat free soy sauce). I bought mine from New World on their deli section. Ingredients water, organic soybeans, salt, organic alcohol.

gingerlime, Sep 10, 11:09pm
Thanks melford and Herika I've passed the info on, so hopefully we'll have it available at my favourite Supermarket soon. They actually have SPECIALS in the G/F Section! ! !

gingerlime, Sep 12, 1:53am
bump -ity bump

melford, Sep 15, 7:00am
Roast Vegetabel Frittata 6 eggs and 1/3rd cup cream or GF So Good LIte Milk, 1 tsp GF chicken stock powder Salt and pepper Whisk these together In a large roasting dish which has been lined with baking paper, out 3 cm chunks peeled orange kumera, 2 courgettes in 3 cm round, chunks of pumpkin, 2 quartered red onions, 2 field mushrooms quartered, and 1 red capsicum (chopped into chunks) Spray vegetables with olive oil and sprinkle with rock salt bake at 220C for 30 minutes. Now spread vegetables over the base of an 8 cup capacity square dish, pour egg mixture over, reduce oven to 190 and bake for 30 minutes until the centre is cooked. Serve hot or cold

jenna68, Sep 19, 9:08pm
bump :o)

2halls, Sep 19, 9:54pm
I made up this recipe on Thursday, in an attempt to get a cake that cuts really well (isn't crumbly). I'm really happy with it, add more sugar if you like a sweeter cake. It's also very low fat. Here it is ... In a large bowl, put 3 very finely diced apples and stir through 4 heaped tablespoons of brown sugar. Add 1 and 1/2 teaspoons of mixed spice, 1 and 1/2 cups raisins and mix again. Add 3 beaten eggs and mix well. Now sprinkle over 1/2 cup of custard powder and pour over 1 cup of soy milk (normal cows milk would be fine), mix well. Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda, 1 teaspoon of baking powder and 2 cups of buckwheat flour . Mix until combined. Put into a lined 25cm x 25cm baking tin. Bake at 180 for about 40 mins.

2halls, Sep 19, 10:04pm
Gluten free almond and raisin biscuits ... (adapted from an AWW recipe that had gluten in it)... In a large bowl beat together 1/2 cup of sugar, 3 eggs and 1 teaspoon of almond essence until very pale and thick. Then add 2 cups of each of the following - coconut, puffed rice (I use brown puffed rice but ricies would be fine), raisins and ground almonds. Mix until well combined. Place large tablespoons on a lined tray. Squeeze together a bit with your fingers, lightly flatten with a fork. Bake at 180 for approximately 12 minutes, or until looking nicely golden. Remove from the tray with a fish slice and allow to cool on a rack. These make very chewy biscuits. Do not worry when you put them on the tray, they look like they won't work, but have faith, they are delicious :-)

mmecholet, Sep 20, 1:41am
#44. That looks excellent. I'm going to try your recipe and will post a review :)) Watch this thread. . hehe. The biscuits look great too, I make something very similar with honey in place of sugar. I almost always use 3 eggs in baking recipes and often use ground almonds - great way to get extra protein in (in my case important for dairy intolerant growing and active kids! ). Thanks for sharing, I really look forward to trying that cake :)))

earthangel4, Sep 20, 1:52am
2halls May I ask, brown puffed rice, is that a breakfast cereal and does it contain any sugar

mmecholet, Sep 20, 2:02am
I can answer we get wholegrain puffed rice from commonsense organics. Only contains brown rice.

earthangel4, Sep 20, 2:10am
mmecholet Thanks so much, will look here in greymouth for it

2halls, Sep 20, 4:54am
Hi earthangel, yes, it's just plain puffed rice as mmecholet says. If you can't get it in Greymouth, it's readily available here in supermarkets in CHCH. Did you try making the rice pilaf ? ? Look forward to hearing if anybody tries the apple cake. :-)

herika, Oct 19, 6:42pm
The second half of this statement is your opinion and incorrect according to the Coeliac Society.
... . The COELIAC SOCIETY OF NZ states that: "A breadcrumb won't hurt someone with Coeliac disease'... . MYTH. Even very small amounts of gluten can be toxic to people with coeliac disease. Taking sensible steps to avoid cross contamination with gluten is therefore important... . . This is not my opinion, it is a statement from the COELIAC SOCIETY OF NZ's website. Im sorry if your opinion differs from theirs but I think people need to know the truth and Im just trying to help and educate people. Of course even if they know they shouldnt eat something and they do, then thats entirely up to them. :)

herika, Oct 19, 6:54pm
If anyone would like more information google "gluten syndrome", there are 223, 000 links referring to this topic (a neurological disease? ), (choose to tick the New Zealand box) also www.glutensensitivity.net is another good NZ site and has the latest information from Doctor Rodney Ford (that I have been quoting) in it. :)