Baking for a death in the family

Page 2 / 2
duckmoon, Mar 17, 9:50am
when my dad died, mum's neighbour came over and paid her respects; she brought a six rolls of toilet paper, and a bag of coffee

moggie57, Mar 17, 10:16am
chesse rolls....

debblesnz, Mar 17, 7:03pm
casseroles.

muffty, Mar 17, 9:05pm
Good idea. Just to add to the others above , apple or apricot slice maybe . Or chocolate slice. Cookies that can keep over a few days although they will probably get eaten before that happens.

elliehen, Mar 17, 10:15pm
And you don't have to bake it or cook it, if you're not a keen cook.You can buy it and give it with as many loving thoughts as those who slave over the hot stove.

elliehen, Mar 18, 5:39am
It happens.Nowadays it's recommended that the address given in a death notice for messages of condolence is that of the Funeral Director, as opposed to the street address of the bereaved.

dorothy_vdh, Mar 18, 6:56am
rather than baking what about. tea,coffee milk, toilet paper,tissues fruit

ethans, Mar 18, 8:12am
I would make something they could freeze.cook some rice & cool it and bag it. Then do a mince/sausage dish and do the same. Then can can eat it when they want it.cheers

sclaredy_cat, Mar 18, 8:19am
I think that's an awesome idea - when I had my last baby I had a friend come around and take my shopping list off the fridge - it was one of the most memorable presents for me then and I think it would be appreciated with a bereavement too. Or even just a couple of loaves of bread, a bottle of milk and the paper. i always tend to do quiches and lasagnes too, they can always throw them in the freezer and reheat when they can't face cooking.

akd100, Mar 18, 8:56am
I always do a quiche and a lasagne.But talking to a friend who lost her mum, she said the best thing she received was a basket with, tissues, washing powder, toilet paper, throat lozenges, coffee and tea, lip balm, and I can't remember the rest lolShe said they had so much food.Oh and the person that went and did the grocery shopping for them.

moggie57, Mar 18, 10:16am
chesse rolls.

tarshlove, Mar 19, 1:20am
I lost my brother in Jan suddenly. He was only 29 and left behind a son who will be 2 next moth and a partner. His partner wasn't eating so I cooked some mac and cheeses with bacon and tomato. Some lasagna and some other mince and pasta meals all of them were given to her frozen. Apparently my nephew loves them he's never eaten as much of another food as he does my food. My brothers partner said that they were such a great idea its so helpful to just grad one out and microwave them. Just make sure whatever your going to freeze is quite moist :o)

sclaredy_cat, Mar 19, 8:19am
I think that's an awesome idea - when I had my last baby I had a friend come around and take my shopping list off the fridge - it was one of the most memorable presents for me then and I think it would be appreciated with a bereavement too. Or even just a couple of loaves of bread, a bottle of milk and the paper. i always tend to do quiches and lasagnes too, they can always throw them in the freezer and reheat when they can't face cooking.

tarshlove, Mar 20, 1:20am
I lost my brother in Jan suddenly. He was only 29 and left behind a son who will be 2 next moth and a partner. His partner wasn't eating so I cooked some mac and cheeses with bacon and tomato. Some lasagna and some other mince and pasta meals all of them were given to her frozen. Apparently my nephew loves them he's never eaten as much of another food as he does my food. My brothers partner said that they were such a great idea its so helpful to just grad one out and microwave them. Just make sure whatever your going to freeze is quite moist :o)

noelee, Mar 26, 10:10am
Fabulous ideas every one when my father died about 30 yrs ago now I decided thatwe needed all this catering stuff and started to buy them when they were on special things like an urn x 2, large oven dishes, bowls big and small, utensils, plattersfrom the $2 dollar shop picked up heaps of bargains there, paper plates&cups, serviettes supermarket specials, large teapots,a pie warmer oh and on a whim a multi kai cooker, the list sort of grew. It certainly came inhandy when my brother and then my mother passed away friends and neighbours who have lost a loved one because they have been so good to us and am so glad I can give back in some small way using the urn for endless cups of tea and coffee.