Simple, Easy, Fast

Page 1 / 2
accroul, Mar 13, 8:14am
Need ideas for main meals that a 7yo can cook (with some help). She made scrambled eggs on toast for dinner tonight... we need other ideas that can be pulled off fairly easily & speedily.
I have nachos on my list, but little else atm.

jessie981, Mar 13, 8:24am
Quiche - Self Crusting

3 eggs
100gr melted butter or margarine
1/4c flour
1c milk
100gr diced meat
3 chopped spring onions
1c tasty grated cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 160. Grease a large pie dish. Place eggs, butter or margarine, flour & milk in a bowl & beat well.
Stir in other ingredeints & pour into pie dish.
Bake 1 hour until set & golden brown

geldof, Mar 13, 8:47am
meatballs or meatlaof.
wear gloves and mix by hand.

fried rice, if you precook the rice.

elliehen, Mar 13, 8:57am
Frittata.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 13, 8:38pm
How about a stirfry, Accroul?

beaker59, Mar 13, 8:50pm
As someone who has raised 6 kids through 7 yrs old think safely so dishes which require allot of stirring over the heat may be an issue as basically you must be there the whole time. Jesse's or Ellie's ideas are excellent because they are baked to add to that could I suggest Pizza Kids love it and they can get creative with the toppings also you have a dough to make which is delightfully messy which 7 yr olds love :)

buzzy110, Mar 13, 9:56pm
The easiest, but by no means obvious, dish would have to be roast chicken. Here is how I'd teach my youngster to do it:

1. slice a lemon into rings, lay them out on a board and salt them. Push your hand between the skin and flesh of the chicken breast, working down the thigh and leg. Push slices of lemon into the gaps created. Put excess lemon into the cavity with extra salt. It is usual to tie the legs together but it is not necessary.
2. Put the chicken into an oven bag, onto a baking dish and into an oven heated to 180C. Bake for 1:20.
3. I know you are low carb so for baked veg I'd have my youngster peel as many pickling onions as required for the people eating. Wash and slice into chunks red pepper and courgettes. You can cut up some buttercup into chunks and young person can peel them using a potato peeler. Put veg into a bowl and rub in olive oil and sea salt. Put into the baking dish the chicken is cooking in when that procedure is finished.

4. Beans are very easy for young people to handle as they only require a small knife. So wash, top, tail and slice green beans and put them in a pot with a little bit of water and blanch them for a few minutes. Transfer them to a small covered baking dish or use tinfoil to cover, pour in some oil and coat. Add a few cherry tomatoes and ripped basil plus salt. Cover and add to the oven.

Any dirty dishes can now be washed and put away. The table can be set and at the end of 1:20 the meal can be served.

I make no apologies for the fact that this is a meal rather than what is normally perceived as something simple, but it is a very simple meal. Once she has mastered that, you can add a simple mushroom sauce.

One other thing you could look at is sausages in all their various ways of cooking them. My mother taught me to boil them in a little bit of water first and then serve them with chutney/relish/piccalilli, etc and mashed spuds. We always had silverbeet and I used to have to pick, wash and cut that up as well but I don't think children these days are so good with knives. I would get a good hiding if I cut myself and no sympathy or first aid, so I learnt really fast how to handle a knife. Lol.

buzzy110, Mar 13, 9:57pm
This was also my first thought but you would have to be vigilant and be hyper instructive at first as your child will probably have to stand on a stool. If you have a cooker that can be set up lower then it is a great way to teach your child healthy cooking.

bedazzledjewels, Mar 13, 10:22pm
You could use an electric frypan though.

elliehen, Mar 13, 10:44pm

accroul, Mar 14, 12:15am
Sadly, 'stirfry' is a dirty word with my kids - both would rather eat broccoli that has been boiled to a mush than eat stirfry. Anything with made with tomato falls in the same basket for my ds (but we're working on that one!)

accroul, Mar 14, 12:17am
Yes elliehen - too hard, I wanted someone else to do the work for me!

accroul, Mar 14, 12:20am
Thanks for the quiche idea, jessie981 - never thought of quiche!

buzzy110, Mar 14, 12:29am
I know exactly how your daughter feels. For some reason, as a youngster, I hated cooked tomato. Pity, because my mother used to preserve about 50 jars a year and I wouldn't touch one single bite. Now, of course, I love the stuff.

woolfemme, Mar 14, 4:33am
potato bake,you can use those tinned sauces and add ham and cheese

kinna54, Mar 14, 5:01am
Corn fritters, mac cheese bake, stuffed potatoes, bacon & egg pie, shepherds pie (you may need to help with the mince thickening) pancakes.

kinna54, Mar 14, 5:05am
I love cooking with the kids, a dear friend who is 10 and a granddaughter 3, it can be challenging but as long as well supervised can be very rewarding. The 3 yr old knows the rules re the oven and anything hot but has a ball, even down to wearing the big apron from head to toe. A favourite for Sunday night tea is pizza bread, they choose their own fillings.

accroul, Mar 14, 8:14am
Need ideas for main meals that a 7yo can cook (with some help). She made scrambled eggs on toast for dinner tonight. we need other ideas that can be pulled off fairly easily & speedily.
I have nachos on my list, but little else atm.

jessie981, Mar 14, 8:24am
Quiche - Self Crusting

3 eggs
100gr melted butter or margarine
1/4c flour
1c milk
100gr diced meat
3 chopped spring onions
1c tasty grated cheese
Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 160. Grease a large pie dish. Place eggs, butter or margarine, flour & milk in a bowl & beat well.
Stir in other ingredeints & pour into pie dish.
Bake 1 hour until set & golden brown

Corn fritters
Place1 x drained can of Sweet corn kernals into a bowl,

add
1 cup of flour,
1 tsp Baking powder,
1 Egg
and a pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper.

then add milk to the right consistency.
Quote toadfish (1547 )3:59 pm, Sun 13 Mar

bedazzledjewels, Mar 14, 8:38pm
How about a stirfry, Accroul!

beaker59, Mar 14, 8:50pm
As someone who has raised 6 kids through 7 yrs old think safely so dishes which require allot of stirring over the heat may be an issue as basically you must be there the whole time. Jesse's or Ellie's ideas are excellent because they are baked to add to that could I suggest Pizza Kids love it and they can get creative with the toppings also you have a dough to make which is delightfully messy which 7 yr olds love :)

buzzy110, Mar 14, 9:56pm
The easiest, but by no means obvious, dish would have to be roast chicken. Here is how I'd teach my youngster to do it:

1. slice a lemon into rings, lay them out on a board and salt them. Push your hand between the skin and flesh of the chicken breast, working down the thigh and leg. Push slices of lemon into the gaps created. Put excess lemon into the cavity with extra salt. It is usual to tie the legs together but it is not necessary.
2. Put the chicken into an oven bag, onto a baking dish and into an oven heated to 180C. Bake for 1:20.
3. I know you are low carb so for baked veg I'd have my youngster peel as many pickling onions as required for the people eating. Wash and slice into chunks red pepper and courgettes. You can cut up some buttercup into chunks and young person can peel them using a potato peeler. Put veg into a bowl and rub in olive oil and sea salt. Put into the baking dish the chicken is cooking in when that procedure is finished.

4. Beans are very easy for young people to handle as they only require a small knife. So wash, top, tail and slice green beans and put them in a pot with a little bit of water and blanch them for a few minutes. Transfer them to a small covered baking dish or use tinfoil to cover, pour in some oil and coat. Add a few cherry tomatoes and ripped basil plus salt. Cover and add to the oven.

Any dirty dishes can now be washed and put away. The table can be set and at the end of 1:20 the meal can be served.

I make no apologies for the fact that this is a meal rather than what is normally perceived as something simple, but it is a very simple meal. Once she has mastered that, you can add a simple mushroom sauce.

One other thing you could look at is sausages in all their various ways of cooking them. My mother taught me to boil them in a little bit of water first and then serve them with chutney/relish/piccalilli, etc and mashed spuds. We always had silverbeet and I used to have to pick, wash and cut that up as well but I don't think children these days are so good with knives. I would get a good hiding if I cut myself and no sympathy or first aid, so I learnt really fast how to handle a knife. Lol.

elliehen, Mar 14, 10:44pm

accroul, Mar 15, 12:15am
Sadly, 'stirfry' is a dirty word with my kids - both would rather eat broccoli that has been boiled to a mush than eat stirfry. Anything with made with tomato falls in the same basket for my ds (but we're working on that one!)

buzzy110, Mar 15, 12:29am
I know exactly how your daughter feels. For some reason, as a youngster, I hated cooked tomato. Pity, because my mother used to preserve about 50 jars a year and I wouldn't touch one single bite. Now, of course, I love the stuff.