Red Capsicum relish

birdie211, Mar 11, 7:37am
Ok, now ive made my tomato relish and is was a sucess, thanks to those that told me how to sterilse the jars.Has anyone got a awesome recipe for red capsicum relish, did the search thingy but got a bit confused.Thanks, this is fun watching my wee jars get full.Also if anyone from southland (winton) and remembers the red capiscum relish that the magnolia tree use to make, it was awesome and I want it like that lol

kiwibubbles, Mar 11, 7:47am
i think Annabel Langbein has a nice recipe for that................

dreamers, Mar 11, 8:31am

jimminette, Mar 11, 8:49am
I have The mos awsome book - NZ Womans Weekly Test Kitchen - Favourite Preserves by Tui Flower.It has a Red capsicum rellish in it and its really nice.I make it with green or a mixture of colours and always comes out nice.
Just make the mustard pickle from it and really easy and yum too

jimminette, Mar 11, 8:53am
Green Pepper Relish.1 Kg (about 12) large green peppers, 2 Tbsp salt, 1½ cups sugar, 2½ cups vinegar.
Remove and discard the seeds from the peppers.Chop peppers finely and kput in a non-metallic bowl.Sprinkle with the salt, cover and let stand for 12 hours.
Drain peppers and rinse with cold water.Leave to stand in a sieve or colander to drain thoroughly.
Put the sugar, vinegar and kpeppers into a saucepan.boil gently until mixture thickens and peppers go clear.(This will take 35-45 mins)
Pack and Seal.Makes 3 x 350 ml jars.

NB:dO NOT BE TEMPTED TO MINCE PEPPERS, AS THIS SPOILS TEXTURE.

birdie211, Mar 11, 9:34am
sorry had visitors arrive, will look through now and get relish making yum, will let you all know how it goes

birdie211, Mar 11, 9:44am
now that looks like a winner, will try that one first me thinks, then Ill try the garlic one on the other link, I think, I can see this is going to be an expensive habit.

jills3, Mar 11, 8:58pm
I have been making capsicum relish, I just use the same recipe as Tomato relish in Edmonds book.Its so tasty, but then anything is better than the supermarket relish.

purplegoanna, Mar 11, 9:43pm
i do the same but make up the recipe with half toms and half capsicum comes out REALLY nice....(p.s i wizz mine into a proper sauce)

jills3, Mar 11, 9:52pm
I have been buying big bags with about 8 caps. all colours for $1.00 abag, so thought this would be a cheap relish, and when its cheap in winter
whenmaking stews I can hurtle afew dspn fulls into the stew.I just chop up the caps, I sure love cheese & crackers with relish.

birdie211, Mar 17, 6:28am
well, everyone at work just loves my relishes, to a point that they have all given me there jars from home lol, also got given 3 kgs of gerkins that I have just bottled, now cooking pineapple and cucumber relish, smells divine.Anyone else have any ideas, loving this.Would love to make a jam, does anyone have an easy peasy first time reciepe for that please.

This is fun...

jag5, Mar 17, 6:31am
I made Red Pepper Sauce (looks gorgeous in the bottles) and tastes very yummy.....Red Pepper Relish, and also Pickled Peppers which are very yummy too.

birdie211, Mar 29, 4:55am
yummy, do you have the recipe for the relish please.Im making the red pepper and apricot relish now, but there was no apricots so have put nectorines in instead, hope if works, smells so yum though..Managed to get some wee jars from an op shop for 50c each, just need more I think.

jag5, Mar 29, 8:14am
Really easy and delicious too...

Red Pepper Relish

2 onions
1 KG red peppers
2 tblspns salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup cider vinegar

Put peppers and onions into processor, put into pot sprinkle with salt, stand for 2hrs add vinegar & sugar simmer for 45mins, stir occasionally until slightly thickens Makes 3 jars, enjoy