Char grilling capsicum

kiwijo, Mar 1, 8:27pm
When I watch "My Kitchen Rules", they char-grill capsicum directly on the element.I have a ceramic hob, so don't think it would work for me.Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could char-grill capsicum for my dinner party tonight without an exposed element!

twindizzy, Mar 1, 8:33pm
BBQ!

kiwijo, Mar 1, 8:37pm
Hmmmm . no BBQ here either.

r-mvz, Mar 1, 8:47pm
Gas ring, portable stove. Hold over flame with a fork or skewer.

kiwijo, Mar 1, 9:06pm
No gas ring either . just have an electric ceramic hob and the oven.

kiwijo, Mar 1, 9:06pm
Would toasting it under the grill work!

davidt4, Mar 1, 9:23pm
You can partly blacken capsicums using a cast iron ridged grill pan - cut the capsicums into quarters and place skin down when the pan is very hot, press down until blackened.It's a nuisance to do but it works.If I were you I'd choose another recipe.

r-mvz, Mar 1, 10:00pm
Yes that will work.

frances1266, Mar 1, 10:08pm
I put a capsicum on a small tray in my toaster oven on grill and turn it over 4 times until blackened, put it in a small bowl with a plate on top and when cool take the skin off.I would do this and microwave for a very short time if using whole.Keep the juices in the bowl and drizzle over for extra flavour.

kiwijo, Mar 2, 6:42pm
In the end, I did all the veggies (except the capsicum) as roasties, then half an hour before I was ready to serve the veggies, I tossed in the capsicum, chopped into big chunks, and turned the oven up a bit . they charred up really nicely :-)I served them with balsamic vinegar sprinkled over the top and they were SUPERB!

lythande1, Mar 2, 6:46pm
Yes they do. Beats me why. If you want to soften it and remove the skin, then roast it.no idea why the craze for picking bits of black out of the capsicums.

kiwijo, Mar 2, 9:09pm
I left the charred skin on . was nice and the guests came back for seconds, so they must have enjoyed it too :-D

sarahb5, Mar 2, 10:30pm
If I'm using mine cold I take the skins off but if I'm doing a big pan of roasted veggies served hot I leave it on.It's easiest to get the skins off if you put the blackened capsicum in a plastic bag while it's still hot and then peel it off once it's cooled.