Wtf.$6 for a capsicum

Page 1 / 2
iman007, Aug 15, 5:06am
went and got a few things from new world! peer st monday night, held out a $10 note expecting change as i got some chicken$6 and onion and mushrooms and a pepper.$14.10, i paid and do what i normally do throw receipt into bin on leaving.Got to thinking that night when making my chicken sate, seemed a bit dear for what i got.Went back yesterday and all colour peppers 5.99 each.It blew me away.Anyhow i was in halswell getting a few things today and they have them at $4 each. Man that seems exorbitant to me.
Or am i being a moaner!

griffo4, Aug 15, 5:08am
No they have been so dear for so long l have stopped buying them in protest

shop-a-holic, Aug 15, 5:11am
Daylight robbery.

Had a craving the other day for my roasted red pepper and chorizo soup; but I baulked at $3.99 per capsicum. I'm moaning with you.

eastie3, Aug 15, 5:42am
They're out of season.

sarahb5, Aug 15, 5:58am
$3.99 this week at Countdown but green beans are $19.98 a kilo!

52many, Aug 15, 5:59am
I feel your pain.I paid something like $13.00 for 4 tomatoes last week and never noticed until I got the receipt out and looked at it. I nearly died! Looks at hubby and thinks about greenhouse plans.

karenz, Aug 15, 6:20am
What about zuccinis, they up up to $18 a kilo, I know they are out of season but these ones come from Australia and it is winter over there too.

tigeraptor2001, Aug 15, 6:31am
buy frozen

kay141, Aug 15, 7:18am
Why would you want to buy out of season imported vegetables! As for the zucchinis, the come from the winterless north of Australia.

245sam, Aug 15, 7:49am
Exactly - I very well remember the days when fresh capsicums, courgettes/zucchinis, lettuce, tomatoes.all those 'summer' vegetables were absolutely and totally unavailable anywhere during our winter.They're still out of season here in N.Z. but ARE (as you know) available - why/how!because they're imported into our wintry country from countries with warmer weather consequently we have a choice i.e. eat economically and enjoy our own N.Z. grown 'winter' vegetables and look forward to those lovely N.Z. grown summer vegetables becoming an economical option during our warmer months or alternatively pay high prices for the out-of season imported produce.:-))

Edited to add.I'm here in Christchurch too, Halswell actually, and I have seen those expensive imported vegetables but all I do is raise my eyebrows and move on to our 'in season' less expensive options.:-))

dolphinlu, Aug 15, 8:13am
Reaward fresh had them the other day for 3.99 red, yellow, orange and 1.99 for green

mss2006, Aug 15, 8:34am
Buy a jar of char-grilled red peppers for $6.Get about three large ones in the jar, de-seeded and de-skinned, find them with the jars of olives etc.Good taste and quality.

griffo4, Aug 15, 8:38am
they have been expensive round here even when in season which is annoying

nzrose7, Aug 15, 8:43am
$10 kg tomatoes, $4 capsicums and cucumbers.On the plus side, broccoli $1.50, cauli $2, pumpkins $2, onions $1.kg.

donbr, Aug 15, 8:44am
When capsicums are out of season (and very expensive) I buy the roasted red peppers in a jar. Heaps cheaper and keep for longer in the fridge.

toadfish, Aug 15, 8:49am
I do the same with tomatoes, refuse to buy them at the high price and buy a jar of sundried for about $6. will look at capsicums now as well.

ridgeline, Aug 15, 8:54am
We grow capsicums during the right season, cut into both squares and strips and free flow in the deep freeze for meals in the off season. Works well straight from deep freeze to wok or casserole dish. If we have grown enough we purchase when the prices are at the lowest.

Do same with tomatoes - cut into quarters

iman007, Aug 16, 1:33am
not the same as fresh crunchy grilled peppers with chicken sate

mattdylan, Aug 16, 4:31am
Is it just me wondering what 'sate' is!

iman007, Aug 16, 4:36am
satay! perchance !
a recipe i have spells it sate but with a wee mark above 1 of the letters!

245sam, Aug 16, 4:47am
From Wikipedia:
"Satay or sate, is a dish of marinated, skewered and grilled meat, served with a sauce.[1] Satay may consist of diced or sliced chicken, goat, mutton, beef, pork, fish, other meats, or tofu; the more authentic version uses skewers from the midrib of the coconut palm frond, although bamboo skewers are often used. These are grilled or barbecued over a wood or charcoal fire, then served with various spicy seasonings.
Satay originated in Java, Indonesia.[2] Satay is available almost anywhere in Indonesia, where it has become a national dish.[3] It is also popular in many other Southeast Asian countries, including Malaysia, Singapore, Brunei, and Thailand, as well as in the Netherlands, as Indonesia is a former Dutch colony.
Satay is a very popular delicacy in Indonesia; Indonesia's diverse ethnic groups' culinary arts (see Indonesian cuisine) have produced a wide variety of satays. In Indonesia, satay can be obtained from a travelling satay vendor, from a street-side tent-restaurant, in an upper-class restaurant, or during traditional celebration feasts. In Malaysia, satay is a popular dish—especially during celebrations—and can be found throughout the country.
Close analogues are yakitori from Japan, shish kebab from Turkey, shashlik from Caucasus, chuanr from China, and sosatie from South Africa. It is listed at number 14 on World's 50 most delicious foods readers' poll complied by CNN Go in 2011.[4]":-))

iman007, Aug 16, 4:50am
thanks sam, my satay is to die for, pretty close as it gets a mate told me the other day.

245sam, Aug 16, 5:02am
iman007, you're most welcome - I noticed the different spelling but your spelling was not by any means the first time that I have seen satay/sate spelt that way so I understood exactly what you were meaning.:-))

hill-top, Aug 16, 5:05am
Maybe you should buy veges that are in season and stop complaining !

sossie1, Aug 16, 5:07am
the reason caps are that expensive, is because people are buying them.

I remember when no-one wanted lamb shanks, or really cheap cuts of meat. Now they are the same priceor sometimes more than the "better" stuff