What do bakerys put in their meat pies

Page 1 / 2
vintagekitty, Mar 11, 12:17am
to make the mince gluggy, if you know what I mean

also do they use fake potato and pipe it on?

lilyfield, Mar 11, 12:20am
cornflour for the gravy- or worse-bistro. And def. instant mashed potato. Its not fake- just dried.

vintagekitty, Mar 11, 12:22am
ahh, like the packet instant potato???

retired, Mar 11, 12:37am
To make your mince really tasty put a packet or two of Oxtail Soup in it.

vintagekitty, Mar 11, 12:38am
Ive read that before, thanks for the tip:)

cookessentials, Mar 11, 12:45am
Thickeners...and that would depend on what they use.

vintagekitty, Mar 11, 12:45am
I love thickeners and msg, it tastes sooo good!

maysept, Mar 11, 1:22am
A bit of advice given to me years ago- never, ever open up a cheap pie and look inside. Shortly after being told that I did- and haven't eaten once since.

beaker59, Mar 11, 1:47am
Was it lips, ears and bums by chance, well someone has to eat them EH!

lx4000, Mar 11, 2:01am
also heart, kidney and livers they use as meat to make up the meat percentage!

beaker59, Mar 11, 2:12am
Yum I've got my slow cooker bubbling away on chuck steak and ox kidney now lots of onions and tomatoes and half a bottle of shirah should be nice for dinner tonight I might even bake some pies with it for the kids they loooove pies.

Who ate all the pies?

elliehen, Mar 11, 2:49am
My boys used to find tube-like bits and say...snouts and rectums.

karenz, Mar 11, 3:05am
It wouldn't be a commercial pie without the tube like bits, them and the bits of gristle.

kinna54, Mar 11, 8:43am
commercial pie makers use a substance called blackjack, a tar like goo that was often sold in commercial quantities. I can best describe it as a black cornflour type thickener. Gross!! Asian bakeries tend to use arrowroot a lot, which gives all the meat a gloss, and is often quite sweet.Yuk to either.Only commercial pies I really like are jesters! drool....
PS Instant potato is used. Hate that too, but it is more edible if made with milk and loads of butter.
If I'm going to make pie meat mix I like a good ol oxo cube, and sometimes add part of a maggi sachet like the rich beef goulash one.

nfh1, Mar 11, 7:55pm
Oh my - and people still buy them - yuck!

dorothy_vdh, Mar 11, 8:02pm
at the bakery where I work(not an asian bakery either), I use clearam for thickening meat pies.Chicken pies have home made bechamel sauce
Instand potato is used, but it is made with milk and butter.
Our pies are delicious

vintagekitty, Mar 12, 12:17am
to make the mince gluggy, if you know what I mean

also do they use fake potato and pipe it on!

vintagekitty, Mar 12, 12:22am
ahh, like the packet instant potato!

cookessentials, Mar 12, 12:45am
Thickeners.and that would depend on what they use.

maysept, Mar 12, 1:22am
A bit of advice given to me years ago- never, ever open up a cheap pie and look inside. Shortly after being told that I did- and haven't eaten once since.

beaker59, Mar 12, 2:12am
Yum I've got my slow cooker bubbling away on chuck steak and ox kidney now lots of onions and tomatoes and half a bottle of shirah should be nice for dinner tonight I might even bake some pies with it for the kids they loooove pies.

Who ate all the pies!

herself, Mar 12, 2:37am
Arrowroot has NO real flavour.It is a wonderful thickener for the gluten free folk!Check out this sitehttp://www.foodsubs.com/ThickenStarch.html
The sweetness on the breads etc that Asian bakeries sell is from the sweet glaze they put on top of the baked items.

elliehen, Mar 12, 2:49am
My boys used to find tube-like bits and say.snouts and rectums.

karenz, Mar 12, 3:05am
It wouldn't be a commercial pie without the tube like bits, them and the bits of gristle.

pr1ncesswst, Mar 12, 3:48am
In the bakeries i have baked in we used black jack as a colouring agent for the meat, didn't find it helped thicken anything at all.Thickening was a mix of flour and starch.Chicken pies same as above done with a veloute`.Instant potato just like KFC lol.