Cooking Raw Ham

shop-a-holic, Mar 10, 2:21am
Hi everyone
I know that cooking a ham with the Waterbath and Tin Foil Tent method is rather successful, but I'm considering using an oven bag instead.

Has anyone used an oven bag for their Ham?

fey, Mar 10, 2:25am
Just to check - raw ham?or a ham that is cured but you want to put in the oven.
And yes, I have used an oven bag.It worked fine but of course it is drying.

shop-a-holic, Mar 10, 2:30am
Yes, it is a raw ham. ie: not cooked yet, but I have been brining it for 4 days.

fey, Mar 10, 2:35am
Ah, I see.I suppose, seeing that you wouldn't normally add liquid to an oven bag, it would depend how much you want the ham to dry out as to whether you use this method.The times I have used it were for a cured ham that I wanted a crispy fat crust on fairly quickly.
Having said that, I have never added liquid to an ovenbag to see if it works.

shop-a-holic, Mar 10, 2:36am
Thinking about adding a can of Guinness :-)

fey, Mar 10, 2:41am
oooohhh, interesting - like a glaze or just as liquid?I can see it working as a glaze as the sugars would help it caramelize without being too sickly sweet.As a liquid - I might have to think about it....anything with alcohol can evaporate faster leaving less liquid.I wanna know how it turns out.How long are you planning to cook it for?

shop-a-holic, Mar 11, 2:21am
Hi everyone
I know that cooking a ham with the Waterbath and Tin Foil Tent method is rather successful, but I'm considering using an oven bag instead.

Has anyone used an oven bag for their Ham!

fey, Mar 11, 2:25am
Just to check - raw ham!or a ham that is cured but you want to put in the oven.
And yes, I have used an oven bag.It worked fine but of course it is drying.

fey, Mar 11, 2:35am
Ah, I see.I suppose, seeing that you wouldn't normally add liquid to an oven bag, it would depend how much you want the ham to dry out as to whether you use this method.The times I have used it were for a cured ham that I wanted a crispy fat crust on fairly quickly.
Having said that, I have never added liquid to an ovenbag to see if it works.

fey, Mar 11, 2:41am
oooohhh, interesting - like a glaze or just as liquid!I can see it working as a glaze as the sugars would help it caramelize without being too sickly sweet.As a liquid - I might have to think about it.anything with alcohol can evaporate faster leaving less liquid.I wanna know how it turns out.How long are you planning to cook it for!