Pickling help please

herika, Mar 8, 9:36pm
I pickled some small cucumbers, some sliced cucumber, some small red onions and some peppers but the lid didnt seal properly and I want to make sure Im doing it right before I do any more.
I used the overflow method and was sure I had tightened the screw top tight enough.Im wondering if I took too long getting the jar packed and the liquid poured in and it sealed and thats why it didnt work.
Any other tips or hints would be good, thanks

antoniab, Mar 8, 10:16pm
Are you using preserving lids? If so keep them in the boiling/hot water until the moment you put them on - if its still not sealed when the jar has cooled I just leave the screw top ring on but always use these jars first :)

annie.nz, Mar 8, 11:15pm
If you've pickled with a normal 10% acid vinegar and sugar brought to the boil and no added water, then they shouldn't need sealing, the vinegar acts as a preservative, and the sugar helps a bit.

I usually put seals on mine, just because that's the only lids I have, but didn't really bother for the first 20 years or so of my preserving career.

herika, Mar 8, 11:43pm
hi antoniab,
Yes Im using Agee jars and the lid seals and screw bands.
I may have taken the lids out of the boiling water too soon, that could be the problem.
I put the jar in a saucepan with water and brought it to the boil, took it out and re tightened the screw band and it worked this time.Thanks for your help.

herika, Mar 8, 11:45pm
hi annie,
Im not sure if the solution is 10% vinegar or not but I used a basic recipe.
Thats interesting that you didnt use lids for all that time.Thanks for your reply.

annie.nz, Mar 9, 2:40am
I used a couple of old fashioned pickling jars - crockery, with a crockery lid, so not airtight.

juliewn, Mar 9, 12:11pm
Hi Herika.. :-) .. I hope you're well..

It may be that a tiny/small fibre of one of the veges was on the rim of the jar when the seal was placed on it - this can stop the jar from sealing..

To ensure this doesn't happen, fill the jar just to the top with the vinegar mix, then run your finger tip around the rim of the jar so any fibres of the veges are not on the surface. Sometimes you can see if a piece is on the rim.. Then place your seal on, then the screw-band and tighten.

A way to check if it will seal, is to then have your ear close to the jar, press the centre of the seal so it goes down as far as it will go - listen to see if you can hear a slight whoosh (for want of a better word!) as air is released - which means that air is able to get through. If this happens, take the screw band and seal off again, refill the jar if needed, and repeat, using a new, sterilised seal. If no whoosh sound happens, your jar would usually seal well.

As Annie has posted, I always pickled without seals and screw-bands until the last 8 -10 years - now, because I think the pickles and chutney's etc.. stay fresher tasting, and don't dehydrate at all, I use the pop-top jars that pickles and jams, etc.. are sold in.. check that the underside of the lids aren't marked or have any of the surface damaged. Discard any like this. Heat the lids in boiling water in the same way as you do with the Perfit seals and use the overflow method and check the jar rim as above.

These types of jars are usually sold at Opp shops or similar - often for 10c to 20c each - check the inside of the lids to ensure they're mark free as above.

Enjoy your pickles..

antoniab, Mar 9, 10:16pm
Are you using preserving lids! If so keep them in the boiling/hot water until the moment you put them on - if its still not sealed when the jar has cooled I just leave the screw top ring on but always use these jars first :)

annie.nz, Mar 9, 11:15pm
If you've pickled with a normal 10% acid vinegar and sugar brought to the boil and no added water, then they shouldn't need sealing, the vinegar acts as a preservative, and the sugar helps a bit.

I usually put seals on mine, just because that's the only lids I have, but didn't really bother for the first 20 years or so of my preserving career.

juliewn, Mar 10, 12:11pm
Hi Herika. :-) . I hope you're well.

It may be that a tiny/small fibre of one of the veges was on the rim of the jar when the seal was placed on it - this can stop the jar from sealing.

To ensure this doesn't happen, fill the jar just to the top with the vinegar mix, then run your finger tip around the rim of the jar so any fibres of the veges are not on the surface. Sometimes you can see if a piece is on the rim. Then place your seal on, then the screw-band and tighten.

A way to check if it will seal, is to then have your ear close to the jar, press the centre of the seal so it goes down as far as it will go - listen to see if you can hear a slight whoosh (for want of a better word!) as air is released - which means that air is able to get through. If this happens, take the screw band and seal off again, refill the jar if needed, and repeat, using a new, sterilised seal. If no whoosh sound happens, your jar would usually seal well.

As Annie has posted, I always pickled without seals and screw-bands until the last 8 -10 years - now, because I think the pickles and chutney's etc. stay fresher tasting, and don't dehydrate at all, I use the pop-top jars that pickles and jams, etc. are sold in. check that the underside of the lids aren't marked or have any of the surface damaged. Discard any like this. Heat the lids in boiling water in the same way as you do with the Perfit seals and use the overflow method and check the jar rim as above.

These types of jars are usually sold at Opp shops or similar - often for 10c to 20c each - check the inside of the lids to ensure they're mark free as above.

Enjoy your pickles.