Slow Cooker Query....

Page 1 / 2
kiwiactrss, Mar 7, 1:24am
Can someone who knows more about these than me pleae assist.I am looking at buying my first slow cooker for Winter.There is only hubby and I, and am just looking at it for soups, casseroles etc.Would be it be better to buy a 6.5 l or 3.5 l (I think those were the sizes).I noticed the 6.5 had an auto function whereas the smaller one didn't (these are on special at Farmers).But was wondering if the 6.5 would be too big just for two people.... (sorry for the rambling message just not really sure what to do)

pericles, Mar 7, 1:26am
get the biggest, and oval shape

nfh1, Mar 7, 1:28am
I have a 6.5 and there are just the two of us.I am pleased I got the larger one, I have put in chickens and pieces of meat which would never have fit into the smaller one.I often do enough to have one meal and then freeze the rest.

I have never wished I had not got the large one, but think I would have regretted buying the smaller one.

pp11, Mar 7, 2:41am
Hi, I have the large 6.5 one. To get the best out of it you have to fill it up at least half full with the raw ingredients otherwise I have found it over does the food and it's mush.

You will have way too much but perfect for freezing. I buy the tinfoil containers with lids and freeze the extras. Very convenient.

Or you could convert the leftovers into a different meal the next day ie left over casserole into a pie. Leftover meat into wraps, quiches, risottos, the options are endless.

I would thoroughly recommend one :)

kay141, Mar 7, 2:43am
I ahve both and there is only me. I bought the smaller round one and then discovered I couldn't get pieces of meat e.g. corned beef in it so bought a bigger oval one. I use both, sometimes even at the same time, and freeze the surplus. I love having heat and eat meals in the freezer.

kiwiactrss, Mar 7, 3:24am
awesome thanks everyone - knew this was the place to come for good sensible advice.righto off to buy the 6.5 l oval one tomorrow..

calista, Mar 7, 9:47am
Kiwiactriss you can also make Christmas pudding in the bigger one.I have a 6.5 litre one and there's only me.I'd like to try the smaller size to make bread though.

kiwiactrss, Mar 7, 10:51pm
oh really Calista?WOW - I have had lots of my friends tell me that they buy them and use them heaps and then forget about them all together - too much hassle they say - but I think they sound great.Can i ask one thing though?Say I am off to work and want to put on a casserole for dinner that would start cooking at say midday is it safe to put the meat etc in first thing in the morning as I leave home at 7.30?

kiwitrish, Mar 7, 11:01pm
Just turn the casserole on before you go to work.It will be fine and your home will have a wonderful aroma when you get home.

kiwiactrss, Mar 7, 11:07pm
thanks I was just worried about having stuff out of the fridge that long I guess

pheebs1, Mar 7, 11:24pm
cold days its heaven to come home to. plus once its cooked i can feed kids and keep it on warm so hubby can have when he gets home. if you put on in morning do it on low and if lunchtime then i put on high. makes great puddings also,. spongy self saucing puds are great i put on when kids are home from school or just before and by dinner time its ready. there are some awesome threads for slow cookers andyou can buy the ready meals sachets to start you off. the lamb shanks are always good! have fun

kiwiactrss, Mar 8, 1:24am
Can someone who knows more about these than me pleae assist.I am looking at buying my first slow cooker for Winter.There is only hubby and I, and am just looking at it for soups, casseroles etc.Would be it be better to buy a 6.5 l or 3.5 l (I think those were the sizes).I noticed the 6.5 had an auto function whereas the smaller one didn't (these are on special at Farmers).But was wondering if the 6.5 would be too big just for two people. (sorry for the rambling message just not really sure what to do)

pp11, Mar 8, 2:41am
Hi, I have the large 6.5 one. To get the best out of it you have to fill it up at least half full with the raw ingredients otherwise I have found it over does the food and it's mush.

You will have way too much but perfect for freezing. I buy the tinfoil containers with lids and freeze the extras. Very convenient.

Or you could convert the leftovers into a different meal the next day ie left over casserole into a pie. Leftover meat into wraps, quiches, risottos, the options are endless.

I would thoroughly recommend one :)

kay141, Mar 8, 2:43am
I ahve both and there is only me. I bought the smaller round one and then discovered I couldn't get pieces of meat e.g. corned beef in it so bought a bigger oval one. I use both, sometimes even at the same time, and freeze the surplus. I love having heat and eat meals in the freezer.

kiwiactrss, Mar 8, 3:24am
awesome thanks everyone - knew this was the place to come for good sensible advice.righto off to buy the 6.5 l oval one tomorrow.

calista, Mar 8, 9:47am
Kiwiactriss you can also make Christmas pudding in the bigger one.I have a 6.5 litre one and there's only me.I'd like to try the smaller size to make bread though.

kiwiactrss, Mar 8, 10:51pm
oh really Calista!WOW - I have had lots of my friends tell me that they buy them and use them heaps and then forget about them all together - too much hassle they say - but I think they sound great.Can i ask one thing though!Say I am off to work and want to put on a casserole for dinner that would start cooking at say midday is it safe to put the meat etc in first thing in the morning as I leave home at 7.30!

ffloss, Mar 11, 3:57am
We have the large one and there is only the two of us. I make large quantities and put it in containers in the freezer. It's great to just go and get one out for tea.
The big one is the one to get Have fun.

calista, Mar 11, 9:23am
Kiwiactriss you may have to do a trial run on a day you're home if you are uncertaln, but if you put a casserole in and turn the cooker on low before you go to work it should be cooked when you come home.

I usually prepare everything the night before and put it in the fridge IN ANOTHER DISH then tip it into the cp inthe morning.I don't put the bowl of the cp into the fridge because the instructions for mine said it might crack with a very cold bowl - however i know people who do that and have no trouble - they do vary.

eternity04, Mar 12, 2:58am
I have had problems with my vegies not cooking properly in mine, but I went to Allyson Goftons book launch of her book "Slow" and she told me to brown up the vegies first. I do this by putting a bit of marg or butter into a pan, adding the vegies (potatoes, carrots etc) and seasoning. Then I put it into a warm inner (have hot water sitting in it until you are ready to use it) then I put in the meat and whatever sauce I am using. The big 6.5ltr one is the best to get because you can put all sorts of cuts of meat into it. My parents got the smaller one for my sister and whenever we brought her meat for her I had to measure it to make sure it would fit in. Not a good look in a supermarket, measuring the meat with a piece of string lol. Best of Luck with your slow cooker, best present I was given by my partner and kids.

Jan...

sherralynne, Mar 12, 3:20am
One of our slow cooker "bibles" is Joan Bishop's recipe book, which has cooking times for both slow cookers and crockpots.There's a new edition (2010) in the bookshops and is well worth investing in.We have a small (3.5 litre) slow cooker and an "original" Sunbeam (it's over 20 years old now) crockpot and there are just two of us.Enjoy your slow cooker, they are a terrific appliance.

ffloss, Mar 12, 3:57am
We have the large one and there is only the two of us. I make large quantities and put it in containers in the freezer. It's great to just go and get one out for tea.
The big one is the one to get Have fun.

macandrosie, Mar 12, 8:41am
Just to be a pain I have a 3.5 litre round one & a 6 litre oval one! Both have their uses. The biggest hassle is finding cupboards to store them when not in use. I use the smaller one for casseroles, mince etc & the bigger one- if I'm in a real hurry I will take a frozen chicken out of the freezer, cut off the wrapper & put it straight into the large oval cooker(no water). Turn on high & within about 7-8 hours the chicken is cooked to perfection! Great! I love mine & I would have to say even though there is only 3 of us at home these days I find the oval one more versatile. Have bought my kids them for their flats. I think you need to sart a casserole in the morning, better & slow & long than starting at midday.

calista, Mar 12, 9:23am
Kiwiactriss you may have to do a trial run on a day you're home if you are uncertaln, but if you put a casserole in and turn the cooker on low before you go to work it should be cooked when you come home.

I usually prepare everything the night before and put it in the fridge IN ANOTHER DISH then tip it into the cp inthe morning.I don't put the bowl of the cp into the fridge because the instructions for mine said it might crack with a very cold bowl - however i know people who do that and have no trouble - they do vary.

eternity04, Mar 13, 2:58am
I have had problems with my vegies not cooking properly in mine, but I went to Allyson Goftons book launch of her book "Slow" and she told me to brown up the vegies first. I do this by putting a bit of marg or butter into a pan, adding the vegies (potatoes, carrots etc) and seasoning. Then I put it into a warm inner (have hot water sitting in it until you are ready to use it) then I put in the meat and whatever sauce I am using. The big 6.5ltr one is the best to get because you can put all sorts of cuts of meat into it. My parents got the smaller one for my sister and whenever we brought her meat for her I had to measure it to make sure it would fit in. Not a good look in a supermarket, measuring the meat with a piece of string lol. Best of Luck with your slow cooker, best present I was given by my partner and kids.

Jan.