Im wanting to make my own Worcestershire Sauce

Page 2 / 4
pickles7, Mar 6, 11:44pm
I am off to make this up now,just been to town to get the treacle.

pickles7, Mar 7, 1:26am
Do they still sell it?...elliehen... It used to cost the same as buying the D.Y.C. white vinegar. I too, looked into making my own white vinegar years back.

pickles7, Mar 7, 1:51am
This one was put up by Cookessentials... seems a bit more cost effective :}
and can be made fresh when needed... Still like Lea and Perrins tho..

Quotefisher (573 )12:08 am, Mon 7 Mar #18

It has turned out to be very insipid, Not bad, but definitely needing a ,"pickles" tweak.
Fine if you want to rustle up a bland sauce, lacking in heat.
I have at least made... cooks... recipe..
Positive criticism, is all good.
It sure is a great place to start, making sauce. I will say to anyone trying the recipe, on adding more spices, go easy, it is not a lot of sauce, not much to come and go on. I won't put up, what more I had to add.
I challenge you fisher, make up this recipe, as its printed, and come back

I am up to trying the other recipe as well but may be, not today.

pickles7, Mar 7, 8:01pm
what can I say.... fisher you and many others like to put down the work of others, I never post a recipe that I personally have not made, and am happy with, mine, or someone else's, without saying I have not tried, the said recipe.
Why not try being a little more productive....try the recipe you put down, of someone else's, be fare, you wouldn't have posted that, one....

pickles7, May 31, 8:22am
Well done....robman7....I made this today. It is a bit on the sweet side, nice and spicy though. I may make up a bulk lot of sauce using this recipe, omiting the treacle in two out of six times the recipe. It takes no more power to make six times the recipe, than just one lot.

pickles7, Jun 1, 6:55am
I gave a bottle of this sauce away today. The person I gave it too is raving about it. I got 4 X 330 mil bottles of sauce from the recipe.

wayne472, Jun 1, 7:12am
Pickles7,the Mace is getting hard to get now.Greggs and other spice company's do distribute it now.But all is not lost you can still buy it at the Bin Inn type stores.
For those that dont know about Mace,it is one of the most flavour enhancing spices that can be used.Very nice in sauces, white sauces and soups etc.
Here have A read @ -----
http://www.bulkpeppercorns.com/mace_spice

pickles7, Jun 1, 8:31am
I try to always have mace in my pantry, nutmeg is very much sweeter and has its own place in the pantry. I think my last lot of mace came from the supermarket, last year, ....wayne472.... I would have thought it was a Gregg's product. I got it when I saw it. I was out of it a while as it is not that available.
Just watch out for it. Quite probably I bought it just before putting that sauce recipe, together.

wayne472, Jun 2, 8:26am
I phoned Greggs about Mace,they told me that they have withdrawn it as it was A slow seller! It was they that told me to go to the Binn Inn type stores! I got some from there at Greymouth, it is not expensive at all! The other loose bulk type spices and food that they had was unbelievable,it was well worth the visit,I got all sorts of yummy stuff!

pickles7, Jun 2, 10:58am
People often just use nutmeg in place of mace, I would say this myself if A person is only wanting to use it once . I prefer to use mace myself, and know I will use it all. I like the Indian spices. I may have got mine in one of those stores. I found heaps of Tamarind the other day, in an Indian spice shop. The problem is I need to put aside an afternoon to go shopping in the store I saw it in .lol

midget8, Jun 5, 5:09am
Lea and Perrins Worcestshire Sauce is NOT the same as the English original-since the Aussies started making it they added bloody WATER.If you have a vintage bottle check out the ingredients.The colour is different,it's brown,not BLACK,and after the homemade brew we use,which we call garlic sauce,LEA AND PERRINS tastes disgusting.

pickles7, Jun 5, 5:41am
Sure is ....midget8....insipid rubbish.
We like our sauce HOT. The last two recipe's I made from in this thread were indeed too sweet, that last one was by far the nicest.I may be tempted to do as I said, but on saying that, my husband is saying to stick to my original recipe. We actually both prefer the Tamarind sauce. There is a bit of "magic" about Tamarind. I feel that "magic" just writing about it. lol. I just don't understand, why some people are still cutting off "shark fins". Lick, smell, or eat Tamerind, folks.

pickles7, Jul 19, 6:14am
mmmm I have another order for some of this sauce. I am near out of it myself so I have a good excuse now to make more.

tehenga288, Jul 20, 7:34am
Mmmm brings back memories of mum making this for neighbours and family - very popular. She had anchovy and mushroom sauce in hers.

pickles7, Jul 20, 9:35pm
Cool, have you made the same recipe as your mum used to make !.
The next lot I am going to make will be huge. I need to use up the peach wine vinegar I made.

http://makingvinegar.blogspot.co.nz/

pickles7, Sep 17, 4:22am
bumping, for someone wanting to make a hot sauce.

mickeymoos, Oct 10, 7:51am
Well thought that i would add that i have just bottled a batch of the sauce that robman7 put on here & it is nice a bit sweet but still nice , I am going to try pickles7 recipe next

robman7, Oct 10, 8:20am
This was a Digby Laws recipe, it has a nice flavor and seems to improve with age, if it's a little bit sweet I would just reduce the amount of treacle and adjust to your taste.

mickeymoos, Oct 10, 6:58pm
Thanks robman i think that it will age well i think that next time i make it i will make a bigger batch , I gave my mother a bottle & she loves it & she is a hard person to please worchestershire sauce wise ,

pickles7, Oct 10, 9:00pm
Hot stuff !.mickeymoos.robman7 .sauce hits the spot. I would have reduced the treacle, if I was to make this again. I probably will, as I now have 23 liters of lager vinegar to use this year.
My Husband prefers the Tamarind sauce, "save the sharks". lol. I just love "hot" sauce.

rainrain1, Oct 10, 10:15pm
Then there's the Bulls Hit Black Sauce from CRT.Bulls are full of it

mickeymoos, Oct 11, 4:56am
I love hot sauce as well , next i want to make a hp type sauce & cant wait for plum season as i love plum sauce to cook pork fingers in ( yummy )

rainrain1, Oct 11, 5:18am
My grandfather had a factory in ChCh that used to make Worcestershire sauce.Isn't that cool now!

pickles7, Oct 12, 9:03pm
WOW.rainrain1.I suppose he took the recipe, down with him.

muri62, Oct 12, 9:39pm
this recipe is from the Digby Law book of Pickle and Chutney cookbook.much sort after
5 cups of malt vinegar
1 kg of treacle
2 teasp salt
3cm piece of green ginger, finely chopped
4 cloves garlic. finely chopped
2 tblsp ground cloves
1 teasp of cayenne pepper

combine all ingreds in a saucepan. bring to boil and cook gently, uncovered, for 20mins. cover and let stand overnight. Next day, strain and bottle. ready for immediate use, but shake before using.