500 grams of fresh ginger ,
110 grams of tamarind puree ,
1 near rotten banana ,
500 grams of molasses ,
25 grams of gr. black pepper ,
3 tsp cayenne pepper ,
1 kg brown sugar ,
225 grams of sea salt.
Simmer for three hours , strain through a sieve , then hang the pulp in a cotton cloth to extract all the sauce....watch for fruit flies....
Bottle , cork , and store in a cool place.

Quotepickles7 (468 )2:24 pm, Sat 6 Mar #5

astoooon, Mar 6, 3:55am
I now wish I didn't know what was in it.

elliehen, Mar 6, 4:07am
The near-rotten banana?That's the only banana to make a banana cake with ;)

fisher, Mar 6, 4:23am
Nothing ...tastes like Lea and Perrins....worth the money spent...
Do you really want to go thru that process and spend all the money on that lot and then add the banana.. ..Phew..??

pickles7, Mar 6, 4:27am
lol,
1 banana wasn't enough, to make a cake.

greerg, Mar 6, 4:31am
I thought anchovies were important?I'm with Fisher, can't go past Lea and Perrins and like him I do make quite a variety of sauces.

pickles7, Mar 6, 4:33am
what a give away.
Have you tasted Lea and Perrins recently??
You don't have 9 wine bottles of Worcestershire sauce then do you.
It is very much worth while making this recipe.
I am proud to say this recipe won't taste the same, it tastes more like Lea and Perrins, used to taste like...Darned good.

fisher, Mar 6, 4:40am
Nup ...not convinced.... Lea and Perrins is still the same.... thanks..maybe your taste buds have gone array especially since you would add a banana..???
9 wine bottles... yeessus..and all with banana...why would I want 9 bottles of it...???work out the costs of your ingredients you have listed plus the time and power expended and I'll stick to Lea and Perrins tried and trusted straight off the shelf... thanks...

pickles7, Mar 6, 4:53am
lol, I had to look at the banana again, 1 banana.
You are denying yourself....fisher....

pickles7, Mar 6, 5:07am
Here is another similar sauce recipe ...scottdaddy....just as good as each other but in there own, flavours. A smaller recipe.

"Tamarind sauce"

2 liters of malt vinegar ,
110 grams of tamarind pulp ,
1 Tbsp of sea salt ,
1 cup of brown sugar ,
700 grams onions ,
10 grams of whole pickling spice ,
1/4 tsp mace ,
2 whole chili peppers ,
1 tsp each whole black pepper corns and
1 tsp curry powder.
Simmer all together for 1 hour, strain,
bottle ,
cork and mature...
Has a Citrus flavour.[ tamarind]
This did turn out very well.
I could very well be tempted to make this again.
Both my Husband, and lover, enjoy this sauce.

scottdaddy, Mar 6, 5:22am
im just wanting to make it to save some $$$ may cost a bit to buy it at first but in the long run will save $$$ and by xmas will be a great prezzy for the family

pickles7, Mar 6, 5:55am
how much is a bottle of the sauce now?
Binn Inn sells bulk vinegar. I make my own, costs me 50 cents a litre, less if I score a bottle of home brew. My husband made a lot of beer he didn't like, It made darned good vinegar. lol.
Yes the out lay can get up there. but in the long run you do get the quantity. You could use the above recipe and omit the tamarind, add 2 lemons skin and all.

roseann48, Mar 6, 8:01am
I have used the Edmonds one for years but use 4 litres vinegar rather than 4.5

pickles7, Mar 6, 8:17am
D.Y.C. vinegar is not nice at all now.I noticed a bottle of vinegar I was looking at th other day, was made up using spirit vinegar, caramel colouring, and something else. Spirit vinegar was always a cleaning grade of vinegar.

kuaka, Mar 6, 9:34am
Well the bottle of Lea & Perrins in my pantry is Australian made and definitely not as good as the original Made in England L&P (which is how we always used to refer to it in the UK much to the amazement of a Hamilton barmaid one day when I asked for a tomato juice with a dash of L&P - yes I almost got Lemon & Paeroa in it).

robman7, Mar 6, 10:05am
This is nice and easy.
5 cupsmalt vinegar, 1kg treacle,2 teaspoons salt, 3cm piece green ginger finely chopped,4 cloves garlic finely chopped , 2 tablespoons ground cloves,1 teaspoon cayenne pepper.Combine all ingredients in a saucepan, bring to the boil and cook gently uncovered for 20 minutes. Cover and let it stand overnight. Next day strain and bottle, ready for use immediately but shake bottle before using.

fisher, Mar 6, 11:08am
HOMEMADE WORCESTERSHIRE SAUCE
3 cups brown vinegar
½ cup each of treacle and plum jam
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
¼ tsp each of cayenne pepper, chilli powder and ground cloves
1 tsp ground allspice

Combine all the ingredients in a large saucepan. Stir over heat until the mixture boils. Simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Strain the mixture into hot sterilised jars and seal when cold.
Makes about 2 cups. :-))

This one was put up by Cookessentials...seems a bit more cost effective :}
and can be made fresh when needed...Still like Lea and Perrins tho..

elliehen, Mar 6, 11:18am
This looks as though it might taste like that English sauce HP...is it still on the shelves for ex-pat Brits?

fisher, Mar 6, 11:36am
I come across it every so often...never been a fan... Have seen it on cafe tables??

pickles7, Mar 6, 7:17pm
Not my taste buds then ah. thanks for that. nor is the HP sauce the same. something I should work on as my Husband has great memories of that sauce and good taste buds.

purplegoanna, Mar 6, 8:14pm
In 1835, Lord Marcus Sandys, an ex-governor of Bengal, approached chemists John Lea and William Perrins, whose prospering business in Broad Street, Worcester, handled pharmaceutical’s and toiletries as well as groceries. He asked them to make up a sauce from a recipe which he brought back from India. While his lordship was apparently satisfied with the results, Messrs Lea and Perrins considered it to be an “unpalatable, red-hot fire-water” and consigned the quantity they had made to the cellars. During the stocktake/spring clean the following year, they came across the barrel and decided to taste it before discarding it. To their amazement, the mixture had mellowed into an aromatic, piquant and appetising liquid, They hastily purchased the recipe from Lord Sandys and, in 1838, the Anglo-Indian Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce was launched commercially.

elliehen, Mar 6, 10:00pm
purplegoanna, interesting that sauces and pharmaceuticals are connected.Our local chemist used to sell "glacial acetic acid" for making homemade tomato sauce.

elliehen, Mar 6, 10:02pm
nfh1 (Not From Here #1) will know - the expert on things British ;)

pickles7, Mar 6, 11:33pm
I have a different account of how the launch, of Lea & Perrins sauce, eventuate.