Ideas for salads that can be made at least a day

Page 2 / 2
otterhound, Mar 23, 6:01am
Corn and Rice Salad - everyone loves it=)
Heat 1 Tblsp oil in a large saucepan, add 4 sliced spring onions, 1 small red capsicum (chopped).Cook 2 - 3 mins until softAdd 3 tspn curry powder, cook 1 min.Add 3 cups cooked rice and 2 cups corn kernels, stir to combine and heat through.Stir in 1/2 cup cashew nuts and 1/2 cup french dressing.Great hot or cold.=).

ashanti, Mar 23, 9:13pm
forgot- I also added one red onion

ashanti, Mar 24, 1:36am
Thanks Otterhound, that cord salad sounds nice!

ashanti, Mar 24, 11:17pm
thanks Otterhound, made it today and it is really tasty, I added some Cumin seeds too.

bev00, Mar 24, 1:13pm
salad days

toadfish, Mar 24, 5:59pm
Toadfishes Brown Rice Salad

1 cup brown rice
1 3/4 cup water
1/4 cup soya sauce (light if available)
1/2 onion finely chopped

Cook the rice in the water & when cooked & still hot add the soya sauce and finely chopped onions let cool (a couple of hours preferably overnight)

Add the following ~
1 red pepper chopped
2 Spring Onions
1/2 cup roasted peanuts chopped ( I leave them whole)
1/2 cup each of roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds and sultanas.

Dressing:
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon rind
1 clove garlic crushed
1 tsp fresh ginger
1 tsp honey or Sugar

Mix and pour over salad. Mix well.
I have the dressing in a jar, the nuts etc in a bag and the rice in the fridge and just mix together last minute.

Or when I took it for a friends wedding I made it up the day before and placed it in 3 of the largest size snaplock bags and put in her chiller, then we just put it in serving bowls when needed. kept it fresher than trying to seal a bowl.

elliehen, Mar 24, 8:31pm
Thanks for posting the original, toadfish, because your recipe was starting to mutate with each repeated posting by others ;)

rarogal, Mar 24, 10:42pm
I make a nice salad with risoni, basil pesto, red onion, halved cherry tomatoes, finely diced cucumber, capsicum and sliced olives.Add a little olive oil or more pesto next day to moisten if necessary.

rarogal, Mar 24, 10:42pm
And toadfish's rice salad is superb!

gerry64, Mar 25, 12:03am
google seven layer salad - can guarantee this can be made two days ahead - wrapped with glad wrap and is just as crunchy as the day it is made - use ice berg lettuce

bev00, Mar 25, 10:28am
still warm enough to live on salads

ruby19, Mar 25, 7:21pm
Roast pumpkin salad.
You could make this a head of time, only add a portion of the dressing when made, and add a little more when ready to set up and top with the pumpkin seeds just before serving so they retain their crunch.

500 g pumpkin, peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 clove garlic, crushed
salt and pepper
1 roasted red pepper sliced
250 g feta cubed
1 red onion chopped
1/2 cup basil leaves finely shredded
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds toasted
DRESSING
1 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon liquid honey
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
salt and pepper

Method
Preheat oven to 200 C.
Place the pumpkin in a roasting dish and drizzle with the oil, cinnamon, garlic, and pepper, then roast in a for about 20 25 minutes until cooked,( try to keep it still firm but cooked.) If you haven`t already roasted the pepper pop into the oven at the same time. Cool. Place the cooked pumpkin into a salad bowl and toss through the other ingredients then add the dressing.
To make the dressing mix all ingredients in a screw top jar and shake to combine.

You can add less of the pumpkin seeds as liked, my partner is not such a fan of them. And I find perhaps the dressing makes quite a large amount just add what again is liked. I usually add to make and then adjust when serving as sometimes the pumpkin absorbs some of the dressing. It aways can be used on other dishes. Have used the cumin and garlic flavoured feta in this recipe and that works well too.