This may be a silly question ;)

caro25, Feb 21, 6:09am
But could some one explain rice to me, whats the difference between medium and long grain and why is it that you use medium instead of long grain for rice pudding. i was asked today and all i could say was my mum said so lol, many thanks in advance to all you treasured cooks out there :)

dorothy_vdh, Feb 21, 6:20am
not sure but I think medium absorbs more moisture,but I'm sure the experts out there will know

greerg, Feb 21, 6:23am
Long grain rice has a long and slender kernel four to five times longer than its width. After cooking, the grains stay separate and fluffy.Good choice as a side dish or a bed for sauces - or dishes made with sauces.
Medium grain rice has a shorter and wider kernel two to three times longer than its width. After cooking, the grains are moister and tenderer than long grain rice and have more of a tendency to cling together. It is a good choice for paellas and risottos.
Short grain rice has a short, plump and almost round kernel. After cooking, the grains are soft and stick together anditis used for rice pudding and moulded salads.
Basmati rice can be white or brown and has more fiber and a stronger flavor than other long grain rice. It has a nutty taste.After cooking it swells only lengthwise, resulting in long slender grains that are dry, separate and fluffy.Good for Indian and Middle Eastern dishes.

cookessentials, Feb 21, 6:24am
Basically the difference is between the amount of starch. Short grain rice is the one used for rice pudding.

caro25, Feb 21, 6:29am
many thanks for that i have looked in 3 supermarkets now and cant find short grain rice so i have been using medium

dalbyj, Feb 21, 8:20am
short grain rice is sometimes also called sushi rice

petal1955, Feb 21, 8:48am
Aborio rice make fabulous rice pudding.........
Creamy Rice Pudding

It's a Jo Seager one.

8 heaped tablespoons aborio rice
1/4 cup water
300ml milk
300ml cream (or you can use all milk)
Large knob butter
2 tblspns vanilla essence
4 tbspns castor sugar.
METHOD:
Place rice, water, milk and cream in saucepan. Bring to the boil, then turn down to a very gentle simmer. Stir every so often for 20 mins, until the rice has swelled up and thickened. Rice should be soft, but have a little bite to it. Stir in the butter, vanilla and sugar and stir until disolved. Pour into a dish and place under gentle grill for four to five mins until a brown skin develops. Serve with cream. Serves 4.

36michelle, Feb 21, 8:57am
Yes, I just bought Short grain rice last week for Sushi, Mine is in a black and clear resealable plastic bag, it's 'Sun Rice Brand"- Sushi Rice.

pats3, Feb 21, 9:14am
Not about rice but that reminds me of the story about the girl who always cut the shank off the leg of lamb before she roasted it. Someone asked her why she did that and she said because her mother did.She in turn asked her mother who also said she did it because HERmother did. The girl then asked her grandmother why she cut the shank off the leg of lamb befofre roasting and the grandmother said it was because it was the only way she could get it to fit into the roasting dish - lol.

caro25, Feb 21, 9:33am
lol i read that on here as well somewhere lol

cookessentials, Feb 21, 5:45pm
Short grain is often hard to find. Th only place I have ever seen it is New World.