How do you organise your freezer?

Page 2 / 3
nfh1, Mar 1, 9:30am
That is a really good idea - I have just been using plastic carrier bags, which split and one New World bag is much the same as another.

lythande1, Mar 1, 6:12pm
No kidding. I was the one that opened it and discovered it had been switched off.
Took a good half an hour for my nose to recover.

korbo, Mar 2, 9:20am
was telling a friend about the baskets in the freezer and how i was going to reorganise ours.
She uses the cloth grocery bags, as they dont crack and break. so, I have red meat in a red bag, vegs in a green bag, chicken in a cream bag, and rest of stuff in a blue bag. quite a lot easy to grab handles and pull the bag out.just thought i'd pass this on.

valentino, Feb 21, 2:37am
When I originally got ours, we purchased extra baskets, great to sit just above the motor part and on the bottom . These baskets had those flip in-out handles, out is when they sit on top and in when one wants to lower them into the bottom of freezer.
Don't know if you can still get them now but very handy.

jessie981, Feb 21, 5:56am
Sold mine because bottom had 22, 2litre bottles of water cause I couldn't reach to get food. Small goods in basket & everything else thrown underneath.

dezzie, Feb 21, 6:09am
I have a massive freezer, but its not that full, but I use those plastic cube type storage boxes from the warehouse, vege in one, bread in another, etc, they are good to handle and you can stack them easily as long as they are not too full.No baskets, they were not there when I got it 2nd hand.

jag5, Feb 21, 7:47am
Baskets that sit in the bottom neatly and stack on top of each other.We have a HUGE freezer from when on the farm, and would have to pack in 1 whole beast, 2 -4 lambs, pigs, plus home gown produce.Tomatoes chopped and frozen in ice cream containers, ready made soup in same,brilliant for stacking.large zip lock bags for free flow vegies, then mince in one basket, schnitzel in one, offal in one, and so on all nice and tidy.I would make a list of the meat as it went in.what cuts and how many packs, then when I take one, I change the list.That way I knew what was in there all the time.

Chest freezers cost less to run than uprights by the way.

grannymum, Feb 22, 12:25am
What sort of baskets do you use Jag5!. Sounds very organised & tidy - thats what I hope mine will look like eventually!

fisher, Feb 22, 1:43am
Breads/Buns / Milks / Pies / Butters
Vegetables / Home and Bought
Packaged Meats / Ice Cream
Roasts / Bulk Chicken Pieces / Whole Chooks / Bulk sausages.
Dog rolls / Dog Venison / Pet Mince
Fish Bait / Ice

bappy, Feb 22, 1:47am
I keep a list stuck on the outside of the freezer, so I know what's in it.

lythande1, Feb 22, 2:54am
top drawer: mince, snitzel
2nd drawer:chops, sausages
3rd drawer: steak, mince
4th drawer: stewing meat, homemade stuff like pizzas
5th drawer: roasts, bread

2nd wee upright freezer:
Top: leftover meal things like soups, more bread
Bottom: Cat meat

If I had to have a chest freezer, I'd buy plastic storage boxes, the biggish ones, and stack them with stuff so I know whats where.

But nah, upright is easier.

purplegoanna, Feb 22, 3:15am
the huge part is filled to the brim with dog meat and chicken carcasses (we're raw feeders) and the lil side bit has all my meat and a bag of ice for drinkys.all my day to day stuff is in the small freezer under my fridge.

duckmoon, Feb 22, 6:45am
yuck, yuck, yuck.

jag5, Feb 22, 8:55am
I do still have some UFO's (unidentified frozen objects) but many these days.

For baskets, go to Payless Plastics or similar.huge range of plastic baskets and bins.

purplegoanna, Feb 22, 7:51pm
speaking of UFO's in the freezer, mum had 2 silver bars (big ones like pounds of butter) she kept them rapt in newspaper and then in a plastic bag in the freezer, looked like any old package until the freezer switch got turned off and every thing went bad.she proceeded to chuck EVERYTHING OUT!.in her haste yes she forgot the family silver! my brother also lost his forefinger in a car accident, the hopsital gave him the finger in a bag of saline and that lived for years in the freezer too.

245sam, Mar 1, 1:20am
We sold our original chest freezer, bought a vertical freezer and soon found that it wasn't suitable for bigger items such as turkey and larger pieces of meat so we bought another chest freezer and I do exactly as korbo's friend i.e. use the cloth bags, most of which I have bought from The Warehouse at various times when the different colours have been available - they work a treat and yes, they are strong enough to be lifted in and out of the freezer without splitting.I too used to use the plastic supermarket bags but the cloth bags are far superior.:-))

pericles, Mar 1, 1:27am
got rid of my chest freezer, ended up falling into the blardy thing, I'm short

fisher, Mar 1, 12:33pm
why did I have a vision of frilly knickers just then pericles. hahaha LOL::}

lythande1, Mar 1, 5:40pm
Really! Depends on the size I guess, mine has deep shelves, and of course they are adjustable.

lynja, Mar 1, 5:53pm
i love the idea of the different coloured recycle bags. think i see a job ahead of me. the birds always get a great feast when i clean out the freezer. Bread rolls etc lurking down the bottom of the freezer always look very unappealing after more than a couple of months!

kay141, Mar 1, 7:30pm
This thread encouraged me to give up treasure hunts and sort things out. I have not a lot of freezer space, the bit at the bottom of the fridge and a small upright with drawers. They are now organised, full and tidy. I'm not taking bets on how long that will last.

purplegoanna, Mar 1, 9:04pm
best idea ive eva seen is the guys in the fish shop up the road got someone to make plywood partitions in their deep freeze for different baits.keep meanig to get mrpg to make some for mine, then i can meat in one, veges in another and dog food in its own.at the moment its lucky dip and you just keep dipping until you find what you want.

otterhound, Mar 2, 8:58am
We always have heaps of homekill meat, all kinds. so I put all the pork in one old horse-feed bag, bacon and ham in another, hogget in another, beef in another, and mince in another one.At least I just have to pull out a huge bag and get what I want out of that, rather than rummaging round amongst everything.We also have a shipping container sized freezer with the bulk of our homekill meat in it, plus lots of horse/cow parts for hounds, 20 kg blocks of parmesan cheese, horse tails waiting to be sold, 100 litre drums of milk (again for hounds) and a couple of feed bags full of last years tomatoes!You just about need a packed lunch and a water bottle to venture into that one to find anything!

tarshlove, Mar 1, 1:53am

uli, Mar 1, 3:21am
I have 2 freezers:

One has all the "new" stuff in it.
The other is the one "we need to eat out of" :)

Apart from that everything is labelled and the newer things are at the bottom and the "must eat" items at the top.

Have tried a booklet . but epic fail! No-one ever crosses stuff out so you think you have all these things still in there while it was eaten years ago LOL :)