How do you organise your freezer?

Page 1 / 3
grannymum, Feb 21, 2:15am
The top baskets in mine are fine & neatly packed but the bottom part below them always ends up a mess.I like to put things in boxes eg one for meats, veges etc but the boxes dont last long.Love to hear how you do yours!

lythande1, Feb 21, 2:33am
I gave i to my son and bought an upright freezer. best thing I ever did.

The only thing my son ever put in the chest freezer was his dead pet once.
Then forgot to turn it on.
Went to the tip.

nzhel, Feb 21, 2:36am
We had an upright freezer after a chest freezer and then switched back. Found the upright not convenient at all for us and much prefer a chest style even tho it does get messy at times. Different things suit different folks!

valentino, Feb 21, 2:37am
When I originally got ours, we purchased extra baskets, great to sit just above the motor part and on the bottom . These baskets had those flip in-out handles, out is when they sit on top and in when one wants to lower them into the bottom of freezer.
Don't know if you can still get them now but very handy.

grannymum, Feb 21, 3:01am
Thanks for the suggestions all. lythande1 I had to smile regarding your sons dead pet, my parents went overseas for 4 weeks & there was a power cut.When hubby & I went to give house an airing, switch on hot water etc for their return the stench coming from the garage was horrendous & so was the job of getting rid of the contents.Made us retch & had to dump the freezer too. Mind you it was a relief to find out it was the freezer causing the smell as all sorts of horrible things crossed our minds before opening the door lol!

gilligee, Feb 21, 3:49am
I use ice cream containers for all storage in my chest freezer as they stack so well and easy to get at.

mebloodrunsblu, Feb 21, 4:28am
If you use sturdy juice containers eg, recycled 3Ltr Juice bottles, fill with water and put in the bottom of the chest freezer, buy doing this there seems to be many advantages.
One is ,no more reaching into the bottom of the freezer,everything is more accessible, and if you ever haveextended power outage, use frozen bottlesout of the freezer to keep fridge cool.
I also use this " freezer water "as my emergency water supply,
When the chest freezer is chocka, take some frozen waterbottles out, for more space,change water and replace as necessary.

grannymum, Feb 21, 5:08am
Great ideas!Thanks so much

jessie981, Feb 21, 5:56am
Sold mine because bottom had 22, 2litre bottles of water cause I couldn't reach to get food. Small goods in basket & everything else thrown underneath.

onekiwigirl, Feb 21, 6:07am
What a great idea re spare water at the bottom of the freezer! I love it! thanks for the idea.

dezzie, Feb 21, 6:09am
I have a massive freezer, but its not that full, but I use those plastic cube type storage boxes from the warehouse, vege in one, bread in another, etc, they are good to handle and you can stack them easily as long as they are not too full.No baskets, there were not there when I got it 2nd hand.

grannymum, Feb 21, 7:09am
Cube baskets sound good Dezzie - thanks

jag5, Feb 21, 7:47am
Baskets that sit in the bottom neatly and stack on top of each other.We have a HUGE freezer from when on the farm, and would have to pack in 1 whole beast, 2 -4 lambs, pigs, plus home gown produce.Tomatoes chopped and frozen in ice cream containers, ready made soup in same,brilliant for stacking...large zip lock bags for free flow vegies, then mince in one basket, schnitzel in one, offal in one, and so on all nice and tidy.I would make a list of the meat as it went in....what cuts and how many packs, then when I take one, I change the list.That way I knew what was in there all the time.

Chest freezers cost less to run than uprights by the way.

grannymum, Feb 22, 12:25am
What sort of baskets do you use Jag5?. Sounds very organised & tidy - thats what I hope mine will look like eventually!

duckmoon, Feb 22, 1:16am
vertical freezer:
top drawer: ice cream, samosas, mince pies etc
2nd drawer: bread, crumpets, etc
3rd drawer: milk
4th drawer: ice blocks, homemade freezer dinners
5th drawer: baking

fisher, Feb 22, 1:43am
Breads/Buns / Milks / Pies / Butters
Vegetables / Home and Bought
Packaged Meats / Ice Cream
Roasts / Bulk Chicken Pieces / Whole Chooks / Bulk sausages..
Dog rolls / Dog Venison / Pet Mince
Fish Bait / Ice

bappy, Feb 22, 1:47am
I keep a list stuck on the outside of the freezer, so I know what's in it.

lythande1, Feb 22, 2:54am
top drawer: mince, snitzel
2nd drawer:chops, sausages
3rd drawer: steak, mince
4th drawer: stewing meat, homemade stuff like pizzas
5th drawer: roasts, bread

2nd wee upright freezer:
Top: leftover meal things like soups, more bread
Bottom: Cat meat

If I had to have a chest freezer, I'd buy plastic storage boxes, the biggish ones, and stack them with stuff so I know whats where.

But nah, upright is easier.

purplegoanna, Feb 22, 3:15am
the huge part is filled to the brim with dog meat and chicken carcasses (we're raw feeders) and the lil side bit has all my meat and a bag of ice for drinkys...all my day to day stuff is in the small freezer under my fridge.

duckmoon, Feb 22, 6:45am
yuck, yuck, yuck...

kay141, Feb 22, 7:53am
Mine is organised badly. My version of a treasure hunt, though most is labelled.

jag5, Feb 22, 8:55am
I do still have some UFO's (unidentified frozen objects) but many these days.

For baskets, go to Payless Plastics or similar...huge range of plastic baskets and bins.

purplegoanna, Feb 22, 7:51pm
speaking of UFO's in the freezer, mum had 2 silver bars (big ones like pounds of butter) she kept them rapt in newspaper and then in a plastic bag in the freezer, looked like any old package until the freezer switch got turned off and every thing went bad...she proceeded to chuck EVERYTHING OUT!...in her haste yes she forgot the family silver! my brother also lost his forefinger in a car accident, the hopsital gave him the finger in a bag of saline and that lived for years in the freezer too..

tarshlove, Mar 1, 1:53am

korbo, Mar 1, 9:20am
was telling a friend about the baskets in the freezer and how i was going to reorganise ours...
She uses the cloth grocery bags, as they dont crack and break. so, I have red meat in a red bag, vegs in a green bag, chicken in a cream bag, and rest of stuff in a blue bag. quite a lot easy to grab handles and pull the bag out......just thought i'd pass this on.