Just got my first chest freezer :) yippeee

Page 1 / 2
tipsy_bl0nde, May 18, 7:25am
Finally some space :) Just had to share.

Does anyone have any tips on how to fill it up on a budget

lizab, May 18, 7:27am
scrunched up newspaper ;)

tipsy_bl0nde, May 18, 7:28am
hahaha i could do that and then just do one layer and it would look fantastic hehehe

lizab, May 18, 7:33am
actually, joking aside, I have heard that if your freezer isn't completely full, filling the gaps with newspaper actually makes the freezer run more efficiently.

tipsy_bl0nde, May 18, 7:37am
ok well at the moment i have 2 chooks, 2kg chicken drums, mince, saussies, steak, frozen veges and 3 tubs of ice cream (bless kiwi icecream outlet store :) )

gardie, May 18, 7:41am
Fill empty ice cream containers with water and pop them in the freezer - makes it more economical to run than an empty freezer.And don't worry - you can buy bread on special - (fills it fast lol), cook double portions and freeze one for an easy meal.Before too long, you'll be wondering how you ever did without it.We started with one small chest freezer, then two, then three.One expired the other day and so we brought a giant one but still have the other 2 small ones lol.Got no money now to put anything in it!

lilyfield, May 18, 7:47am
Now get your garden beds ready- and it will be full next summer

tipsy_bl0nde, May 18, 7:52am
i have a very large one :) bought it off my uncle for a bottle of bourbon. fair deal i think :) its big enough for me to sit inside it lol. my daughter 2 can stand in it and close the lid and lay down on the bottom. she thought it was so exciting :) i have bought 3 loaves of bread today 2 of which will go in too. i have a heap of chillybin ice blocks in there at the moment also. its great just got an extra fridge a few months ago and now extra freezer space the possibilities are endless :)

tipsy_bl0nde, May 18, 7:53am
any baking that is especially good to freeze? i have a great biscuit recipe but what can anyone suggest anything else?

vintagekitty, May 18, 7:58am
I know this is a little ot, and yeah for the great buy. BUT, I just cant help myself. I dont know how old your daughter is but I hope you have explained that she is not to hop in and shut the lid ever. Im sorry, and I know you have prob explained it to her.

tipsy_bl0nde, May 18, 8:00am
haha ofcourse vintagekitty she is very aware of what will happen. but try telling the father (whom put her in there) lol. its in the garage hidden away and it is so tall that if i try touch the bottom il go head first. but thanks for your concern :)

vintagekitty, May 18, 8:03am
good. I have a thing about chest freezers and kids. One of my neighbours children died in one playing hide and seek.

tipsy_bl0nde, May 18, 8:05am
oh dear ! i understand fully why you were so worried. we are thinking of putting a lock on the latch thats already there anyway so now i think that is a must. eliminate the risk anyway :) thanks

books4nz, May 18, 10:11am
Regarding freezing water in milk bottles, etc - doing that in clean bottles means you have water for your emergency kit, plus because they're solid ice, they'll help keep foods frozen for longer if there's a power cut.

toadfish, May 18, 6:41pm
I use a banana box, which fits perfectly 12 loaves (4x3)... I take the banana box to the store and that way they freeze better as they go in it straight from the bread tray and uncrushed.Then the banana box sits on the bottom of my freezer... never run out of bread and always buy it at a good price.I have brought over the last few years about 6 casserole dishes from op shops and garage sales for a few dollars each (I would never buy disposable packaging for freezing things).... I always have 2 or 3 meals ready to go into the oven.I pull them out frozen in the morning... set the ovens auto timer and come home to dinner cooked..... Usually the meals are Lasagne or Cottage Pie, but I also have in Icecream containers Soup (Various Types) and Nacho mince.I "double cook" frequently and put the extra meal in the freezer... Ice cream container and chinese takaway containers are good as they stack well.
I also keep at least 1 spare pack each of peas & mixed veg.... I have 1 of each in my upstairs fridge/freezer, as sometimes i don't have time to get to the shops and these are a great standby... especially with a cottage pie thats been heated through.
If I go to the supermarket in the evening I stock up on speciality bread, rolls or panininis at a couple of dollars a loaf or bag.. that way there is always something yummy to have with the soup.
Having a large freezer allows you to do all of the above.

samsnan, May 19, 4:02am
When I got my bigger freezer I went to the plastic shop and bought 4 good sized bins that stack 2 high on each other. 1 has beef in it-1 chicken-1 pork -1 lamb although with lamb the price it is never gets very full. The baskets I use for small containers of berries surplus gravys stewed apples etc. Makes it much easier to find what you are looking for rather than just throwing it in. Bread I just fit in around the bins or you could have another bin.

lythande1, May 19, 4:06am
Budget. Well, I buy meat in bulk about 4 times a year. But if you can't afford the initial outlay (cause you have it saved for next time), buy whatever is on special. Put veges in there too, you have got a vege garden right?

kaddiew, May 19, 4:32am
Everything I bake goes into the freezer - doesn't matter what it is: cakes (iced or uniced), fruit loaves, slices, muffins, bread, cooked biscuits, you name it. All defrost just fine.

tipsy_bl0nde, May 19, 4:41am
unfortunately no vege garden. i am in a rental property so i would hate to put so much hard work into it only to end up moving for gosh knows what reason. I also have baskets in the freezer that sit on the ledge at the top so i can organise it. there are 2 for the bottom and 2 for the top very pleased about this :) im making spag and meatballs for dinner tonight so i can freeze leftovers (which there always is)

crested, May 19, 7:10am
Its fantastic that we have so many people on Trademe that share their knowledge.Re Freezers, got 2 hubby thoughtthat 1 was packing uP so bought another)Use your crockpot double up quantities and put in freezer, cook up mince basic recipe and freeze then it can be Cottage pie, spag bol, even mince on toast.When I do a roast I usually bake at the same time, then freeze fruit loaves, scones, I still even have a Xmas Cakein the freezer.Its amazing what you an freeze......Have always had a big freezer, and now there is only 2 of us, it still makes economial sense to freeze.Enjoy your freezer.

lizab, May 19, 7:33am
actually, joking aside, I have heard that if your freezer isn't completely full, filling the gaps with newspaper actually makes the freezer run more efficiently.

gardie, May 19, 7:41am
Fill empty ice cream containers with water and pop them in the freezer - makes it more economical to run than an empty freezer.And don't worry - you can buy bread on special - (fills it fast lol), cook double portions and freeze one for an easy meal.Before too long, you'll be wondering how you ever did without it.We started with one small chest freezer, then two, then three.One expired the other day and so we brought a giant one but still have the other 2 small ones lol.Got no money now to put anything in it!

korbo, May 19, 8:04am
A tip a friend gave me and i am now using it....
buy or obtain extra cloth supermarket bags.
I put all packets of vegys in a green one.
Red meat like mince, saus, in a red one
Chicken bits in a yellow one
and pork and lamb bits in a fawny one.
I did buy mine from K Mart. many different colours.
What it means is that you just pull the bag out from under the baskets, (we dont have baskets anymore), and hey presto, there is what you want.
Icecream and desserts, cake etc, go into a box. just thought i'd pass it on.

books4nz, May 19, 10:11am
Regarding freezing water in milk bottles, etc - doing that in clean bottles means you have water for your emergency kit, plus because they're solid ice, they'll help keep foods frozen for longer if there's a power cut.

toadfish, May 19, 6:41pm
I use a banana box, which fits perfectly 12 loaves (4x3). I take the banana box to the store and that way they freeze better as they go in it straight from the bread tray and uncrushed.Then the banana box sits on the bottom of my freezer. never run out of bread and always buy it at a good price.I have brought over the last few years about 6 casserole dishes from op shops and garage sales for a few dollars each (I would never buy disposable packaging for freezing things). I always have 2 or 3 meals ready to go into the oven.I pull them out frozen in the morning. set the ovens auto timer and come home to dinner cooked. Usually the meals are Lasagne or Cottage Pie, but I also have in Icecream containers Soup (Various Types) and Nacho mince.I "double cook" frequently and put the extra meal in the freezer. Ice cream container and chinese takaway containers are good as they stack well.
I also keep at least 1 spare pack each of peas & mixed veg. I have 1 of each in my upstairs fridge/freezer, as sometimes i don't have time to get to the shops and these are a great standby. especially with a cottage pie thats been heated through.
If I go to the supermarket in the evening I stock up on speciality bread, rolls or panininis at a couple of dollars a loaf or bag. that way there is always something yummy to have with the soup.
Having a large freezer allows you to do all of the above.