Just got my first chest freezer :) yippeee

Page 2 / 2
tipsy_bl0nde, May 19, 7:31pm
thanks for the great tips :) muchly appreciated

lythande1, May 19, 7:33pm
So? We rented once, weren't there long as it turned out, but we put one in. It was just coming ready when we bought, but hey, why not, landlords like you to improve/keep nice their sections.

stevee6, May 20, 12:36am
Also, as you fill it, label and date everything(and I mean EVERYTHING). Every six months or so(I do ours midsummer and midwinter otherwise I forget), empty it completely, have a toss of what you seriously know you won't eat, and keep whatever is left in a top basket to use first.

olwen, May 20, 1:09am
I heard that it's a good idea to use containers of water (and that that's your disaster store)

beaker59, May 20, 1:18am
I am a big fan of stocking up on specials our supermarket has something most weeks eg last week it was rump steak at $8.99Kg I bought about 10 packs (sometimes I will buy one then try at home if good will go back and buy the 10 packs) this week it was Bolar roast for same price. Do this often enough and theres always variety in the freezer.

I rarely freeze what comes out of my garden and prefer to eat to the seasons and plan planting arrordingly eg plant a row of beans a week etc etc I do prefer fresh veg. I bottle fruit or make jam rather than freeze also.

lythande1, May 20, 4:06am
Budget. Well, I buy meat in bulk about 4 times a year. But if you can't afford the initial outlay (cause you have it saved for next time), buy whatever is on special. Put veges in there too, you have got a vege garden right!

kaddiew, May 20, 4:32am
Everything I bake goes into the freezer - doesn't matter what it is: cakes (iced or uniced), fruit loaves, slices, muffins, bread, cooked biscuits, you name it. All defrost just fine.

crested, May 20, 7:10am
Its fantastic that we have so many people on Trademe that share their knowledge.Re Freezers, got 2 hubby thoughtthat 1 was packing uP so bought another)Use your crockpot double up quantities and put in freezer, cook up mince basic recipe and freeze then it can be Cottage pie, spag bol, even mince on toast.When I do a roast I usually bake at the same time, then freeze fruit loaves, scones, I still even have a Xmas Cakein the freezer.Its amazing what you an freeze.Have always had a big freezer, and now there is only 2 of us, it still makes economial sense to freeze.Enjoy your freezer.

korbo, May 20, 8:04am
A tip a friend gave me and i am now using it.
buy or obtain extra cloth supermarket bags.
I put all packets of vegys in a green one.
Red meat like mince, saus, in a red one
Chicken bits in a yellow one
and pork and lamb bits in a fawny one.
I did buy mine from K Mart. many different colours.
What it means is that you just pull the bag out from under the baskets, (we dont have baskets anymore), and hey presto, there is what you want.
Icecream and desserts, cake etc, go into a box. just thought i'd pass it on.

floralsun, May 20, 9:41am
Instead of tossing anything out, add it to a compost bin - or for any meat that's too old to use, thaw it out when planting a tree or shrub, dig the hole deeper than the tree needs, place the thawed meat in it, add some soil then plant the tree. Great fertiliser :-)

lythande1, May 20, 7:33pm
So! We rented once, weren't there long as it turned out, but we put one in. It was just coming ready when we bought, but hey, why not,

Also pay attention to the vege shops, capsicums were 10c each in may last year and I froze quite a few for stews etc. Buy your veges in season and cheap and freeze whats suitable.

stevee6, May 21, 12:36am
Also, as you fill it, label and date everything(and I mean EVERYTHING). Every six months or so(I do ours midsummer and midwinter otherwise I forget), empty it completely, have a toss of what you seriously know you won't eat, and keep whatever is left in a top basket to use first.

olwen, May 21, 1:09am
I heard that it's a good idea to use containers of water (and that that's your disaster store)

klc1, May 21, 3:17am
I stew up fruit and then freeze it in containers, keeps us going all year.

floralsun, May 21, 9:41am
Instead of tossing anything out, add it to a compost bin - or for any meat that's too old to use, thaw it out when planting a tree or shrub, dig the hole deeper than the tree needs, place the thawed meat in it, add some soil then plant the tree. Great fertiliser :-)