Bacon and egg pies, how to make the best ones....

dollydot, Feb 9, 5:43am
I have a problem with my bacon and egg pies in that they are too flat.perhaps I have the pie dish to large?I use a rectangular metal one, a good family size but the last few don't puff up like some I see.I use plenty of eggs and a good amount of bacon and layer eggs, bacon twice. I just season with ground pepper and don't add peas or anything else after hearing a talk from some chefs on how to make an authentic b and e pie with just bacon, eggs and seasoning.They do taste great but are often only a couple of cms thick.Is it just quiches etc that rise up because you beat the eggs a little?Any ideas from anyone good at bacon and egg pies?

trickytash, Feb 9, 5:50am
you need more eggs simple as that... the more eggs the bigger the pie :)

rainrain1, Feb 9, 5:54am
x1
Layer puff pastry, cooked sliced potato, bacon, 1 dozen whole eggs, or just broken if you have to, salt and white pepper, more bacon, pastry top, paint with milk.....cook until it IS puffed up.. Your dish might be too large I wonder? I use a sponge roll size tin

ksr, Feb 9, 6:00am
MMM my mum adds a layer of chutney underneath the top layer of pastry - so good!

cgvl, Feb 9, 6:03am
I add a beaten egg in a little milk (little being about ¼ cup), add the salt and pepper to that. Then pour over the bacon and eggs already in the pie dish. Add the pastry top and then brush with any left over milk and egg before baking.
I put it into a hot oven ie 200-220C until cooked.
Also make sure you use either flaky puff pastry. although I use savoury crust pastry.

I make mine in several different sized dishes. My sponge roll tin uses 12 whole eggs plus another 2 beaten as above.

dollydot, Feb 9, 6:12am
Great ideas thanks.Yes, think my dish is definitely a little big, even with a good amount of eggs.Will try lots of these suggestions : )

motorbo, Feb 9, 6:47am
i always use beaten eggs, no whole eggs, sauted onion and bacon chopped up, delish, a whole egg bacon and egg pie is often dry, if you use beaten eggs you will get a moist pie!!!

ethelz1, Feb 9, 7:32am
I place pastry in bottom of tin then finely diced onion diced bacon 1/2 kilo for deep swiss roll tin.Add 12 eggs beaten with 2 cups of cream.sprinkle of cheese.Mix through then put pastryon top.You can use half milk and half cream if you like.Lovely big moist pie.Salt and pepper to taste

dollydot, Feb 9, 8:37am
Yes, beating the eggs is a good idea as they can tend to be dry and quiches are never dry.Many of the bacon and egg pies in cafes seem to be softer so seem to be made with beaten eggs also.I also don't put a pastry top on but just cover with a few pastry pieces cut from my heart cutters.Looks nice and less pastry to do damage! I have found the 40% less fatpuff pastry fine too.

wasgonna, Feb 10, 1:21am
I your dish is too big then the weight of the pastry top could be preventing the eggs from rising when cooking. If you have a small glass egg cup or spirit glass put in middle of pie upside down then place pastry over top this will give a gap needed. I prefer to beat some eggs and keep some whole as it tastes much better with a few whole yolks.

darlingmole, Feb 10, 5:53am
I have copied and pasted this recipe for your viewing and dining pleasure from Annebel's website.She says:

"If you're looking for love, you have to make this pie! On the strength of this pie, my husband proposed to me - it really is that good. It's perfect for a picnic or weekend
Prep time10 mins
Cook time 45-55 mins
Serves6-8

3 sheets (450g) ready-rolled savoury shortcrust pastry
250g streaky bacon, cut into 2cm pieces
2 medium potatoes, peeled, cooked and thinly sliced
3 tbsp soft herbs (eg parsley, basil, chives or spring onion tops), chopped
14 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 tsp salt
ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 200C/400F. Place a flat baking tray in the oven to heat - the pie will sit on this, and the heat will help it to crisp.

Cut a piece of baking paper to fit a 40 x 30cm (16 x 12 inch) baking dish or roasting pan. It should cover the base and reach about 3-4cm (1ý-1ý inches) up the sides.

Remove the baking paper from the baking dish or roasting pan and lay it flat on your bench. Dust it with a little flour and lay 2 pastry sheets on top. Join the pastry sheets by pressing them together firmly with a small overlap. Roll out the pastry to thinly cover the paper. Lift the paper with the pastry and lay into the baking dish or roasting pan, covering the base and 3-4cm (1 1/4-1 1/2 inches) up the sides.
Sprinkle the bacon over the pastry. Top with the slices of potato and sprinkle with the herbs. Break 8 whole eggs over the top.

In a mixing bowl, lightly whisk the remaining 6 eggs with the milk, salt and pepper. Pour this evenly over the whole eggs.

Roll out the remaining sheet of pastry very thinly and cut it into narrow strips. Arrange the strips in a lattice pattern on top of the pie, trimming off any excess.

Place the prepared pie on top of the heated baking tray and bake for 12-15 minutes until the pastry is starting to puff and turn golden. Reduce the heat to 180C/350F and bake until the pastry is golden and cooked through on the base (this should take a further 35-40 minutes).

Serve warm or at room temperature with a salad and pickles or chutney. It will keep in a covered container in the fridge for 2-3 days.

darlingmole, Feb 10, 5:54am
that's annebel Langbein

elliehen, Feb 10, 7:54am
I watched the Langbein one prepared on her TV show and she says the secret is to have both whole eggs AND beaten eggs.

motorbo, Feb 10, 7:58am
cheers Dolly, honestly if you have never made a bacon and egg pie with beaten eggs folks then please do try it, they really are nicer!!!

beastie3, Feb 10, 8:47am
Our cafe has one of the best B&Epies around and it is so simple!! Flakey Pastry then Layer 1 is 8 eggs - and no don't beat them!! Layer 2 is 8 pieces of bacon which has been very lightly cooked on the grill..Layer 3 is 8 more eggs Layer 4 is 8 pieces bacon and finally layer 5 is 8 more eggs. Break a few of the eggs but leave the majority whole. Place flakey lid on top and glaze with plenty of beaten egg -nothing else!! Oh and season with pepper only after the 2nd layer of eggs. Bake for no more than an hour & a half or it will dry out!!

baitcatcher, Feb 10, 9:45am
Hi I start mine in a very hot oven 220c for 20min then 190c for around 30min,make sure your filling is cold,(i put the completed pie in the fridge for around 20 min to set/rest the pastry,so it wont shrink)
It will puff up and stay up.
If you what to make one 60mm high or more you do need to blind bake the pastry.
I put slice cheese on the bottom to keep the bottom from going soggy.
Hope it helps.

no.21, May 20, 1:54am
Post Numer 21 Baby

guest, Mar 24, 3:45am
i make mine with bacon first then 12 eggs bacon on top again sliced tomatoe only 2 good sizes then 4 cups mixed veges cooked first then cooled down with cold water in a colander sprinkle over bacon and eggs it delicious