Got a heap of apples on tree, what to do with them

landylass, Feb 6, 8:40am
Usually the birds get them before they are ripe or sweet enough to use.They are quite floury apples but are ok for sauce.Usually I will make some sauce and freeze small containers, but what else can i do with them?

lx4000, Feb 6, 8:48am
Dutch Apple Cake

125g Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 C smooth WARM apple sauce

2 C Flour
1 tspn BS
1/2 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cin
3/4 tspn Cloves

2 Diced Apples
1 C Raisins
1 C Nuts of your choice

Mix butter, sugar and egg for a few mins.
SLOWLY mix in Warm apple sauce.
Add dry ingredients and mix in.
Add raisins, chopped apple and nuts.

Bake 180 45 mins

This is a winner in this house and goes sooo fast!!
I double it and freeze 1 :) Have made it with maca nuts and walnuts so far. I have even added speculaas spice and not added the cin and cloves. Both are winner on taste!!

Enjoy :)

cgvl, Feb 6, 11:28am
grate and add to muffin mix or into a pancake mix.

I use them even if a bit unripe as stewed fruit and in other deserts.

winnie231, Feb 6, 5:04pm
This is what I make bottles and bottles of every year.
Also great made with smoked garlic or extra hot with double the chillis.

Garlic and Apple Ketchup:
750g apples, 250g garlic, 1.5lt malt vinegar, piece root ginger-bruised, 3 chillies-split, 2 tbsp whole cloves, 4 tsp salt, 4 tbsp peppercorns, 500g treacle.
Chop apples, skin and cores included. Separate garlic cloves but don't peel. Combine all ingredients except treacle in large pot and boil gently approx 1 hour or until apples pulpy and garlic soft.
Rub through strainer or mouli and return to cleaned pot.
Add treacle and bring to the boil.
Boil 5 min and then pour into hot,clean bottles and seal.
Should be left several months before using.
It's worth the wait!!!

olwen, Feb 6, 6:18pm
My grandmother used to make apple jelly from the windfalls.She didn't worry about worms or the like, just cooked them up.It was pale amber, and everyone remarked on it.

I figure any jellies are too much work for me. :-)

harrislucinda, Feb 6, 6:45pm
orjuicethemforadrink

cookessentials, Feb 6, 9:34pm
You can stew some of them and then bag into the Glad sealable bags and use in the Winter for crumbles, apple pies etc.

smileeah, Feb 6, 9:35pm
Apple cider vinegar

juliewn, Feb 7, 3:59pm
Simmer some in a little water, with sugar if you want to add some, until it's a thick pulp.

Cool then spread out in a baking paper lined slice/roasting dish so it's about .5cm or less thick. Place in your oven with it turned onto it's lowest temperature, and slowly cook till the mix has dried enough and you have apple leather.. enjoy :-)

Add some other fruit to it when simmering if you want - berries, apricot's, plums, etc..

245sam, Feb 7, 8:04pm
My suggestion too - cook the apples, which I do quickly and easily in the microwave, then freeze to use for desserts such as this one.....

HASTY TASTY APPLE PUDDING
3-4 cups stewed apples (preferably unsweetened),
freshly grated nutmeg
50g butter
1 household tbsp golden syrup
4 thick slices bread - white or of choice - (cubed)

Place the apples in a greased shallow ovenproof dish, then sprinkle the apples with the freshly grated nutmeg. Place the dish of apples in a 180ºC oven to heat through.
Meanwhile heat the butter and golden syrup together, and as soon as the butter has melted, thoroughly mix the butter and golden syrup together, then add the bread cubes and quickly toss to coat them as evenly as possible with the melted mixture. Spread the bread cubes evenly over the warmed apple and return the dish to the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the bread cubes are golden brown and crisp.
Serves 4.
By basing the quantities required on:-
per person - 1 cup apple, 1 slice bread, 1 dessertspoon butter and a generous teaspoon golden syrup, this recipe can easily be increased or decreased according to the number of servings required.:-))

landylass, Feb 6, 8:40am
Usually the birds get them before they are ripe or sweet enough to use.They are quite floury apples but are ok for sauce.Usually I will make some sauce and freeze small containers, but what else can i do with them!

lx4000, Feb 6, 8:48am
Dutch Apple Cake

125g Butter
1 C Sugar
2 Eggs
1 1/4 C smooth WARM apple sauce

2 C Flour
1 tspn BS
1/2 tspn Salt
1 1/2 tspn Cin
3/4 tspn Cloves

2 Diced Apples
1 C Raisins
1 C Nuts of your choice

Mix butter, sugar and egg for a few mins.
SLOWLY mix in Warm apple sauce.
Add dry ingredients and mix in.
Add raisins, chopped apple and nuts.

Bake 180 45 mins

This is a winner in this house and goes sooo fast!
I double it and freeze 1 :) Have made it with maca nuts and walnuts so far. I have even added speculaas spice and not added the cin and cloves. Both are winner on taste!

Enjoy :)

winnie231, Feb 6, 5:04pm
This is what I make bottles and bottles of every year.
Also great made with smoked garlic or extra hot with double the chillis.

Garlic and Apple Ketchup:
750g apples, 250g garlic, 1.5lt malt vinegar, piece root ginger-bruised, 3 chillies-split, 2 tbsp whole cloves, 4 tsp salt, 4 tbsp peppercorns, 500g treacle.
Chop apples, skin and cores included. Separate garlic cloves but don't peel. Combine all ingredients except treacle in large pot and boil gently approx 1 hour or until apples pulpy and garlic soft.
Rub through strainer or mouli and return to cleaned pot.
Add treacle and bring to the boil.
Boil 5 min and then pour into hot,clean bottles and seal.
Should be left several months before using.
It's worth the wait!

olwen, Feb 6, 6:18pm
My grandmother used to make apple jelly from the windfalls.She didn't worry about worms or the like, just cooked them up.It was pale amber, and everyone remarked on it.

I figure any jellies are too much work for me. :-)

juliewn, Feb 7, 3:59pm
Simmer some in a little water, with sugar if you want to add some, until it's a thick pulp.

Cool then spread out in a baking paper lined slice/roasting dish so it's about .5cm or less thick. Place in your oven with it turned onto it's lowest temperature, and slowly cook till the mix has dried enough and you have apple leather. enjoy :-)

Add some other fruit to it when simmering if you want - berries, apricot's, plums, etc.

245sam, Feb 7, 8:04pm
My suggestion too - cook the apples, which I do quickly and easily in the microwave, then freeze to use for desserts such as this one.

HASTY TASTY APPLE PUDDING
3-4 cups stewed apples (preferably unsweetened),
freshly grated nutmeg
50g butter
1 household tbsp golden syrup
4 thick slices bread - white or of choice - (cubed)

Place the apples in a greased shallow ovenproof dish, then sprinkle the apples with the freshly grated nutmeg. Place the dish of apples in a 180ºC oven to heat through.
Meanwhile heat the butter and golden syrup together, and as soon as the butter has melted, thoroughly mix the butter and golden syrup together, then add the bread cubes and quickly toss to coat them as evenly as possible with the melted mixture. Spread the bread cubes evenly over the warmed apple and return the dish to the oven for 20-30 minutes or until the bread cubes are golden brown and crisp.
Serves 4.
By basing the quantities required on:-
per person - 1 cup apple, 1 slice bread, 1 dessertspoon butter and a generous teaspoon golden syrup, this recipe can easily be increased or decreased according to the number of servings required.:-))

bev00, Feb 8, 7:22am
apple season glut time