Your BEST Casserole recipes

Page 2 / 4
janny3, Aug 16, 12:08pm
have been making pumpkin/kumara dumplings 1 cup of mashed pumpkin, an egg and about 1 c of SR flour. Mix w/ a fork, adding flour until it's the consistency of thick, creamy mashed potatoes. Drop spoonfuls onto bubbling watery stew/soup or stock & place lid on. Leave covered for about 15 mins. If you are just cooking them in stock or watery soup or your unthickened stew gravy, the spoonfuls will drop into the bubbling/boiling mix but rise to the top as they cook. Pumpkin are my favourite. I never use salt b/c the flavour comes from the soup/stock/cooking liquid anyway.

janny3, Aug 16, 12:20pm
Rema sorry for the delayed reply too I also forgot to add, if you're boiling your dumplings in the stew, please be careful to have plenty of liquid for the dumplings to cook in. Otherwise drain what ever liquid your stew has (you want the flavour), add with some boiling stock or water to another pot & drop your spoonfuls of dumpling mixture into this. When cooked, remove the dumplings before returning the liquid back to the stew. You probably won't need to add thickening to the gravy by now either as it should've already thickened (from the dumplings). Once your liquid/gravy/soup is returned to the caserole, you can pop the dumplings on top of your stew, cover it & keep it warming until ready to serve. If you don't want pumpkin or kumara dumplings you can use mashed potato in them instead.

jenna68, Aug 26, 12:54am
xx... x

valentino, Aug 31, 8:56pm
z... zz

valentino, Sep 27, 1:03am
z... .

valentino, Oct 11, 3:26am
Just bumping this thread, unsure on time now allowed for threads to be kept.

Currently with some, now over 10 days and still being increased.

Being watchful all the same.

Cheers.

fruitluva2, Jan 3, 2:00am
saving from extinction

fetish, Mar 3, 7:13pm
x1
with the cooler weather looming on the horizon I thought there is no better time to start getting winter warmer recipes stockpiled for the chilly weather ahead. So please post away your fave casserole recipes that are your familys faves :) One my mum made for me when I was young that I still make is below, its not the healthiest as it tastes best when the chicken is floured and fried before adding to the casserole, as it then soaks up all the yummy juices . . don't be put off by the soup mix, I know its not 'good cooking' but when it comes down to childhood loved food its ok to slip now and then :)

fetish, Mar 3, 7:15pm
Hawaiian Chicken 4-6 chicken pieces, 2 tsp ginger, 2 tsp garlic, 2 packets of maggi creme of chicken soup, 2 cups water, 1 can pineapple pieces (in juice) 1 Tbsp liquid honey, 4 Tbsp sherry (dont leave this out) salt + pepper. Coat chicken in seasoned flour (flour with salt and pepper added just use a grocery bag and toss chicken) then fry in oil till brown, drain and put in casserole dish, saute garlic and ginger for a couple ofmins, add to the chicken. Prepare the soup using the water, pineapple juice, honey and sherry stir over low heat till thick, add pineapple and ground pepper, pour over the chicken and bake in oven at 180 for approx 1 hour. I doubled the garlic, ginger and sherry in writing this, but I often add more than that, totally up to your taste buds .
This is one of my all time fave recipes, and it came from a maggi recipe book from the 70's ! Its beautiful served with mashed spuds and greens

davidt4, Mar 3, 8:15pm
Somali Lamb Stew (Suqaar) and Pilaff (Bariis) 2 tab oil,
1 onion, finely chopped,
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped,
3 leafy stems coriander, finely chopped,
400g tin tomatoes,
1 kg lamb – shanks or leg,
salt,
1 tsp chilli powder,
1 c water,
1 large carrot in chunks,
2 med potatoes in chunks,
1 tsp cumin seed,
1 tsp curry paste or garam masala.

Fry oil and onion, add garlic and coriander. Add tomatoes, cook 5 min covered. Add lamb, salt and chilli, cook covered 15 min. Add rest of ingredients, cook covered over low heat 1 ½ - 3 hours until tender. (cont)

davidt4, Mar 3, 8:15pm
Somali Stew and Pilaff (cont)
Serve with pilaff made from:

3 tsp roasted cumin seeds
3 cloves garlic
10 cardamom pods, crushed
1 onion, finely diced
400g Basmati rice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp curry paste
½ c sultanas
½ c peas

Should be dry and fluffy, not sticky

valentino, Mar 3, 11:26pm
Beef and Peppercorn Stew. 1 kg chuck steak cut into 3cm cubes, 2 tsp cracked black peppercorns, 40g butter, 2 tbsp oil, 1 large onion thinly sliced, 2 cloves garlic sliced, 1 1/2 tbsp flour, 2 tbsp brandy, 3 cups beef stock, 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce, 2 tsp Dijon mustard, 500g baby potatoes, 1/4 cup cream and 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley. Toss the steak in peppercorns then brown in butter in pan over high heat. Remove from pan & set aside. Add onion & garlic to pan, cook, stirring until onion is golden. Add flour, stir until browned. remove from heat. Combine brandy, stock, sauce & mustard then gradually stir in onion mixture then return to heat and add steak and any juices, then simmer covered for 1 1/4 hours. Add potatoes & simmer uncovered for a further 30 minutes or until meat & potatoes are tender. Stir in cream & parsley & saeson to taste with salt & freshly ground pepper.

idgit1969, Mar 3, 11:40pm
Tomato Steak Casserole 2 lb Blade Steak, 1 large onion, 1 pkt Tomato Soup mix, 1/2 tsp mixed herbs, salt and pepper. Dice steak, coat with seasoned flour and put in casserole dish. Add onion and mixed herbs. Sprinkle soup mix over and add 1 1/2 cups of cold water. Cover and bake for 2 - 2 1/2 hours at 150C. For variation add a tin of pineapple pieces.

245sam, Mar 3, 11:41pm
Savoury Baked Steak 2 bacon rashers, 750g topside steak, 1/2 tsp dry mustard, 3 tsp sugar, 3 tbsp flour, 2 tbsp vinegar, 1&1/2 tbsp tomato sauce, 1&1/2 cups water. Trim the rind off the bacon and fry the bacon for a few minutes to draw off the fat. Drain and cut the bacon into 3cm length pieces. Cut the steak into even-sized pieces and put the steak and bacon into an ovenproof dish. Mix the remaining ingredients together until smooth, then pour the mixture over the meats. Cover the dish. Bake at 160°C for 2-2&1/2 hours or until the steak is tender. :-))

245sam, Mar 3, 11:44pm
Steak Pineapple Casserole 680g (1&1/2 lbs) beef steak, flour,
1 x 454g can each of tomato soupand pineapple, 2 or 3 onions (finely sliced), dash of Worcestershire sauce (optional). Cut the steak into pieces, then flour the pieces and place them in a casserole dish. Pour the tomato soup over and add the pineapple and its juice. Add the onions and Worcestershire, if using.
Bake at 180°C (350°F) for about 3 hours. Serve with boiled rice (1 cup uncooked rice = about 3 cups cooked rice) or mashed potatoes and vegetables of choice. :-))

245sam, Mar 3, 11:47pm
Argentine Steak (or Mutton) 450g-500g cheapest steak (or mutton pieces), 1 bacon rasher (chopped), 1 large carrot (chopped), 1 heaped tbsp flour, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1/2 tsp each ofcurry powder and ground ginger, salt and pepper, 2 tsp vinegar, 1 tsp Worcestershire or soy sauce, 1/2 cup each of tomato sauce orpuree and water, 28g (1oz) grated cheese. Combine the meat and all the remaining ingredients and simmer for 2-3 hours in an electric fry pan or in a casserole dish in the oven. Serve with peas and mashed potato or spaghetti or macaroni. :-))

fetish, Mar 4, 5:51pm
thanks guys for adding some recipes hopefully this will become another of those long threads that stay on here for years :)

pebbles9, Mar 5, 3:58am
love casseroles beef, chuck or gravy, hearty oxtail soup, and a selection of veges that i have, if i have a nice wine handy a splash of good red wine ( the rest for the cook) bay leaves, and put in the oven and go out tilafter school when i stir and thicken and turn down to 50 in the oven . . it seems to let the flavours out if it sits for while before serving

rkcroft, Mar 5, 4:08am
fruity beef casserole... . 2T oil, 1kg stewing beef (I like gravy beef), 2 onions chopped, 2 carrots peeled & sliced, 2 cloves garlic crushed, 1T tomato paste, 1 heaped T flour, 1/2 tsp chilli powder, zest of 1 lemon plus 1T juice, 1 1/2c beef stock, 1/2c plum jam. Heat oil in large oven proof casserole dish over med heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove & set aside. Saute onion till soft, then add carrots, garlic, tom paste, flour & chilli. Stir to combine & cook a min or so. Add the lemon rind & juice, beef stock & jam. Put meat back in, season with salt & pepper, place in oven 170°C. Cook for about 2 hours until beef is tender.

rkcroft, Mar 5, 4:14am
Tasty sausage & bean hotpot... . 2T oil, 1kg beef or pork chipolatas, 4 onions chopped, 1c beef stock, 2c favourite bought pasta sauce, 440ml can of Guinness or stout beer, 1/3c brown sugar, 2 bay leaves, 800gm can borlotti beans. Brown sausages, then set aside. Add onion cooking until soft. Add stock, pasta sauce, beer, sugar and bay leaves. Bring to boil. Add in sausages & beans. Transfer to oven & bake @ 180°C for about 40mins until thick. Stir in chopped parsley & serve.

rkcroft, Mar 5, 4:21am
Chicken bacon & mushroom casserole... 8 skinless & boneless chicken thighs, 1/4c flour, 2T olive oil, 200gm bacon chopped, 500gm mushrooms chopped, 1 onion chopped, 2 cloves garlic crushed, 800gm can tomatoes, 140g tomato paste, s&p, sour cream to serve. Toss chicken in flour, shake off excess. Brown with oil in frying pan. Place in crockpot. To the frying pan, add the bacon, mushrooms, onion & garlic, cooking until golden. Add to the chicken in crockpot along with the tomatoes & paste. Cook on low 4-6 hours or high 2-3 hours. Season well with s&p. Serve with sour cream

andrea1978, Mar 5, 7:44am
#3 and 4 sound sooo good How do you make the rice exactly? Would love to cook this :)

davidt4, Mar 5, 8:43am
#15 Somali pilaff Sorry, I ran out of space for the method. Just fry the onions in 1 tab oil with the curry paste and spices for about 5 min, add rice and stir until coated, add everything else and simmer covered for about 15 minutes until the rice is tender but not soggy. Leave off heat for 5 - 20 min before serving.

davidt4, Mar 5, 8:44am
#15 Sorry, sorry, sorry! I forgot to include the liquid... 1 litre of chicken stock or water.

bisloy, Mar 5, 9:08am
Pork and chickpea cassarole 1c chickpeas soaked overnight, washed and drained. Heat 2T olive oil in a pan and fry 3 chooped bacon rashers and 400g pork slices, cubed. Add 1 large red onion, sliced, 3 lge cloves garlic and 1 sliced green pepper. cook until soft. Add 1/2t paprike and 2t chilli powder. Mix 2T tomato paste & 1/2 a vege stock cube in 2c water. Add to pot. Stir through 425g tin chopped tomatoes and chickpeas. Put in low-mod oven for 3-4 hours. This is so nice - soft meat and crunchy chickpeas. Serve with bread.