I just got a catering job

rainbowpride, Jan 19, 8:50am
I work for a large company and they are always getting morning tea's bought in when the bosses come up from wellington or someone is having a farewell.I spoke to my boss today and offered to do the catering and I will slightly undercut what they were paying the cafe as we are saving to go to america and every cent counts and she is more than happy for me to do that so my first job is next week for about 30 staff.

I have done catering in the past and I am a baker by trade so now I have to sit down and plan what I am going to make it has to be easy finger food.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

jessie981, Jan 19, 9:16am
Pinwheel sandwiches, mini spring rolls, samoas with chilli dipping sauce, everyday savouries, mini muffins, cheese puffs, choice of scones/muffins i.e plain, savoury, sweet. Jam, cream & butter in separate dishes. Maybe a couple of slices for "sweet tooths".
Good luck with your venture.

elliehen, Jan 19, 9:20am
Little fritters - corn, courgette, smoked fish...

stasi21, Jan 19, 10:54am
look up some catering websites on the internet and look at their menus, it will give you some ideas and you can do your own take on the names of the dishes that they have

jaybee2003, Jan 19, 11:07am
A 'cheat' suggestion: The bought frozen packets of sausage roll strips, but instead of cutting them as usual, cut on the diagonal in thin slices. DIL served up these the other day [chicken ones would be great], they were delicious. Until she told me what they actually were, I was thinking - goodness - she's gone to a lot of trouble here - I must ask her how she did these. Would be very economical. Serve them with different dipping sauces for extra pizzaz.

valentino, Jan 19, 9:02pm
One would firstly check out what has been done in the past, use this as a guide for the real basic requirements then add your personal touch with a more plus factor.....

Once this is done, it would then be great simply to know these and then perhaps we can assist further in helping you.

Cafes usually mean good coffee, tea plus nice softish treats as such as muffins, cakes, club sandwiches etc etc.... If any hot small nibbles, then be nice to know what is expected or has been catered to before.

Hopes this makes sense.

Cheers and all the best.

r-mvz, Jan 20, 1:09am
How thin were the slices Jaybee?

rkcroft, Jan 20, 10:44pm
sushi makes fabulous finger food and is often welcomed by many.

punkinthefirst, Jan 21, 12:08am
Don't forget to check out the catering budget and the equipment available for you to use. No point in doing it if you're not making money! :-)

bedazzledjewels, Jan 21, 12:18am
I know this doesn't involve cooking, but platters of fresh fruit and platters of antipasto cover those who are watching what they eat.
Nothing worse than being faced with a ton of baked goods for some of us.

beaker59, Jan 21, 3:00am
miniature fish cakes, the soft spring rolls are good too. BAke a banana cake, as already said Sushi is an easy economically produced snack.

rainbowpride, Jan 19, 8:50am
I work for a large company and they are always getting morning tea's bought in when the bosses come up from wellington or someone is having a farewell.I spoke to my boss today and offered to do the catering and I will slightly undercut what they were paying the cafe as we are saving to go to america and every cent counts and she is more than happy for me to do that so my first job is next week for about 30 staff.

I have done catering in the past and I am a baker by trade so now I have to sit down and plan what I am going to make it has to be easy finger food.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

elliehen, Jan 19, 9:20am
Little fritters - corn, courgette, smoked fish.

jaybee2003, Jan 19, 11:07am
A 'cheat' suggestion: The bought frozen packets of sausage roll strips, but instead of cutting them as usual, cut on the diagonal in thin slices. DIL served up these the other day [chicken ones would be great], they were delicious. Until she told me what they actually were, I was thinking - goodness - she's gone to a lot of trouble here - I must ask her how she did these. Would be very economical. Serve them with different dipping sauces for extra pizzaz.

valentino, Jan 19, 9:02pm
One would firstly check out what has been done in the past, use this as a guide for the real basic requirements then add your personal touch with a more plus factor.

Once this is done, it would then be great simply to know these and then perhaps we can assist further in helping you.

Cafes usually mean good coffee, tea plus nice softish treats as such as muffins, cakes, club sandwiches etc etc. If any hot small nibbles, then be nice to know what is expected or has been catered to before.

Hopes this makes sense.

Cheers and all the best.

r-mvz, Jan 20, 1:09am
How thin were the slices Jaybee!

punkinthefirst, Jan 21, 12:08am
Don't forget to check out the catering budget and the equipment available for you to use. No point in doing it if you're not making money! :-)

bedazzledjewels, Jan 21, 12:18am
I know this doesn't involve cooking, but platters of fresh fruit and platters of antipasto cover those who are watching what they eat.
Nothing worse than being faced with a ton of baked goods for some of us.

pickles7, Jan 21, 6:38am
How has your job worked out !.rainbowpride.