I f you were going to buy a sandwich what filling?

Page 2 / 3
dbab, Nov 25, 3:02am
Chicken, cream cheese, walnuts, celery, chopped dried apricots and lettuce. Mayo optional.

cap, Nov 25, 3:34am
The key to me is really good, really fresh bread. Doesn't matter what the filling is if the bread is dry and horrible. Someone mentioned chicken and cashew nut and I would have to agree that is one of my faves. Brown Sugar Cafe in Otaki and Taihape do a gorgeous chicken and cashew nut croissant and the mixture is in a very mild garlic aioli and they also put lettuce in it. The soft crunch of the cashew nuts is such a wonderful thing. Last time we had one they had run out of croissants and used Turkish Bread and that to me was even better and of course made me feel slightly less guilty eating it (yes I know the fat of the nuts and the aioli but at least I wasn't eating a croissant as well! ). I also love a good BLAT with GOOD bacon.

juliewn, Nov 25, 7:10am
Hi Cap :-). . I agree with you about the fresh bread. .

A selection of wholemeal and wholegrain breads is good too - and not always available.

A cafe here had choose-your-own breads/pita/roll/etc. . with choose-your-own fillings - they were the busiest part of the shop...

Best wishes for your new venture Mike. .

scout_6001, Nov 25, 7:26am
I always go for the boiled egg and chives, boring aye lol.

carla8, Nov 25, 7:58am
I would like to see more vegetarian options for sandwiches in cafes. I am not a vegetarian but sometimes its nice to have that option especially when you are pregnant and trying to dodge ham and other meats! So a sandwich with a yummy dressing and lots of veges on it, lettuce, beetroot, tomato, avacado, sprouts, grated carrot, cucumber, pineapple, cheese etc. I also had a delicious sandwich at a cafe awhile ago and it was done with the crusts off like a club sandwich and it had thinly sliced lamb with a mayo type dressing and a thin spread of mint jelly and cucumber and cheese and it was soooooo yummy!

mike731, Nov 25, 8:13am
thanks heaps for your ideas guys i really appreciate i have printed out your ideas and will try out most them and fisher thanks heaps for all the recipes its awesome
hailz

akl439, Nov 25, 8:25am
You've just reminded me - it was "Sam Wiches" and they made those yummy roast beef sammies with gravy, cheese, coleslaw, etc. It wasn't Queen's Arcade it was the one further up that also had the vegetarian cafe further down called "Belly Button".

mybooks, Nov 25, 8:54am
Hot roast beef sandwiches are fantastic - vogel bread cut lengthwise, hot slices of roast beef, relish, mustard, pickle, etc. . then salad ingredients - made to order and just delicious.

pvilz, Nov 25, 9:51am
My favs: roast chicken and cranberry with smear of creamcheese... . also hot roast beef with gravy rolls are yuuum! !

I hate sammies with grated carrots... yuck! that ruins it :S

bananna15, Nov 25, 10:55am
i love cheese and onion sandwiches. my partner loves chicken, cranberry and brie.cold BLT/BLAT's are good too. how ever i am partial to a lovely slad bun filled with lettuce, carrots, beetroot, tomato, etc but i hate mayo, so it would be nice to have a honey mustard dressing (and no sprouts)

robyn35, Nov 25, 10:41pm
when we had our dairy/takeaway shop some of the best selling ones were the good old flavours, bacon and egg, cheese & pineapple, cheese & onion, cream cheese & salmon, salad without meat, ham & chutney or pickle, ham and mustard boring I know but thats what people wanted

skye7, Nov 25, 11:16pm
Have you considered making to order?

Hot roast sandwich

Love the idea putting a suggestion box on the counter

babyluthi, Nov 26, 2:44am
Perhaps think about some good old fashioned kiwi club sandwiches, they are rarer than hen's teeth thesedays. I was so disappointed to come home and not be able to buy when going out for a sandwich for lunch. Everything is just designer sandwiches. Such a shame. . I really missed them over the last almost 10 years. Oh and some good old fashioned kiwi salad rolls! In fact I wish someone would start off a old fashioned kiwi coffee chain, with good old fashioned kiwi sarnies, rolls, cheese rolls, salad rolls and baking!

babyluthi, Nov 26, 2:48am
Here, hear!

bigjules1, Nov 26, 3:01am
So many lunch bars, especially in industrial areas, cater more for men than woman. I prefer club sandwiches which are easier to eat and smaller rolls. My favourite sandwich filling, having said that, is savoury mince. Yum. Please what ever you do, don't use thick sandwich bread. So many lunch bars/bakeries use thick toast bread for sandwiches with waaaay too much filling.

naki45, Nov 26, 3:09am
Cheese & onion and Cheese & Onion, with tomato and ham. Making sure the cheese and onion is mixed nice and moist not dry. (I love nice cheese and onion sandwhiches! ;-)
Cream Cheese, chicken and spring onions. (smoked chicken is also nice with those)

Another fave at the moment is Bagels lightly toasted, and served warm with avocado and cream cheese in them.

naki45, Nov 26, 3:11am
Alsoa fan of Asparagus rolls that also hav a slice of ham and a slice of cheese on them, then toasted until lightly browned and cheese has melted.

lythande1, Nov 26, 6:04am
French bread salad rolls! It's not so much the fillings, its that disgusting squashy stuff they call bread in this country.

southerngurl, Nov 26, 6:42am
no dairy ever makes cheese and pineapple any more. . Or cream cheese, date and walnuts. . LOVE tHEM! !

dezzie, Nov 26, 6:46am
one I havn't seen for AGES was a crab stick roll-up, mayo on the bread, lettuce leaf and a crab stick and rolled up, but corner to corner instead of straight up, if you know what I mean.
and not a deep fried crab stick, just a thawed one.

rosielee3, Nov 26, 7:09am
Yum cheese and onion. Anything with smoked salmon in it is what i buy. Or chicken with brie etc.

darlingmole, Nov 26, 8:56am
hmmm well there was also this Pub/Bar place that did the sandwich thingo - can't think of the name but the street ran parallel to queen street but on the left hand side if you're going uphill towards K'Rd ... and you just got to choose the most amazing sandwiches!

darlingmole, Nov 26, 8:58am
yeah! am thinking most probs. It was very unusual (back in the late 80's) to have your bread cut length ways. I mean, were we trendy or what? !

mwood, Nov 26, 9:08am
On one of the very very rare occasions I have bought a sandwich I bought a Chicken & Mint Sauce and it was actually very good.

loafer1, Nov 26, 9:42am
My favorite is cottage cheese and sultana on dark rye bread.