Constructing a club sandwich help needed

Page 1 / 2
hezwez, Apr 19, 9:13am
Bumping this because I need to make heaps of sandwiches for afternoon tea on Friday but will be really short of time Friday morning to make them as I'm in a tourney all day. Can I make them Thursday evening and if so, how do I keep them fresh! TIA

cgvl, Apr 19, 9:38am
Yes you can but they may not be as fresh. The old method my mum and her cronies used when doing sandwiches for big do's in the 1960's, was to cover with a damp tea towel. Tea towel went over sandwiches and tucked under the plate. I have made and covered them with glad wrap but never more than a few hours ahead ie in the morning for the afternoon.

hezwez, Apr 19, 9:44am
Thanks cgvl. Maybe I'll get up at 6am. instead.I have a horror of presenting sammies with curled dry edges.

samanya, Apr 19, 9:52am
Just another suggestion .I love cream cheese & finely chopped, crystallised ginger.

elliehen, Apr 19, 9:54am
.and I like cream cheese, grated carrot and chopped dates.

hezwez, Apr 19, 9:55am
Thanks, love ginger but have none. Was going to have cheese/pineapple, egg/minted peas and cream cheese/gherkins.

elliehen, Apr 19, 9:57am
You could do a few pinwheels with cream cheese and gherkins.

kuaka, Apr 19, 10:06am
I find if you make the sammies too far in advance and the fillings are a little on the wet side, you end up with soggy bread rather than dry sammies.

lodgelocum, Apr 19, 10:10am
I do my club sandwiches exactly the same, seven years doing them that way in my cafes and many more years in my catering days.

gilligee, Apr 19, 10:16am
It would help to prepare all the fillings the night before.

elliehen, Apr 19, 10:25am
I'd leave out the salt from the tomato layer because salt draws outwater.

hezwez, Apr 19, 7:57pm
When I have been making in bulk (on the day) I layer thin tomato slices on paper towels and that draws off the excess water before making the sandwiches. Thanks all for your suggestions. Great idea to make the fillings in advance.

duckmoon, Apr 19, 9:17pm
+1
I mKe this into shapes like asparagus rolls

duckmoon, Apr 19, 9:20pm
If I was doing sandwiches for twenty five, I would do three loaves of bread in sandwiches and one for asparagus rolls.

I make the fillings the night before and can then do one loaf in fifteen minutes. So you shouldn't need a six am start.

duckmoon, Apr 19, 9:22pm
On the same theme, chicken roll, shredded chicken mixed with mayo, topped with sprouts, rolled on the diagonal like asparagus roll

purplegoanna, Apr 19, 9:49pm
the grated cheese you mix with a lil bit of mustard, lil bit of diced onion and a lil bit of hot water and quickly mix together with a fork sort of mashing it together, so it all sticks together then you can spread on bread like marg and it wont fall out of the sandwichs when being eaten.

purplegoanna, Apr 19, 9:50pm
oh and whilst im here.my all time fav club sandwich is drained crushed pineapple, cream cheese, ham & spring onion.YUMMO

asue, Apr 19, 11:21pm
Same - that's the way to go

sarahb5, Apr 20, 12:50am
I'd leave out the salt and the pepper - that's the reason why I never buy sandwiches because there's always too much salt for me and cafes, etc. always seem to use white pepper

purplegoanna, Apr 20, 3:02am
gotta be fresh black cracked pepper all the way!

hlblanchett, Apr 20, 3:13am
I make club sandwiches for my children's lunches.

I use sliced white bread on the outsides and sliced whole grain bread for the middle slice, one day, then change the bread order the next day.

The favourite lunch sandwich are cream cheese, salami, lettuce and Barkers Sundried Tomato and Olive Chutney.

jed, Apr 20, 8:39am
Try mixing cream cheese with grainy mustard for the ham layer.Have even mixed cream cheese with cranberry sauce.
Grated cheese and finely chopped onion mixed with a little hot water is also very good.

bigsexymack, May 14, 1:26am
hey guys,
Ok l need to know one how to do the eggs for in club sandwiches but then also how to construct a club sandwich.
I am doing some catering for a very small 25 people group and l am making up the club sandwiches and also baking up some muffins.
Does a club sandwich need to have 3 slices or could l just make up a usual sandwich but cut them into 4.
The fillings l am doing for this week are....
Cheese and Pineapple, Asparagus Rolls, Cream Cheese and Apricot, Vegemite and Lettuce, and lastly egg ham and mayo.
Also if you can help me with the recipe for the cheese and pineapple, and my other cream cheese and apricot.

Thanks in advance for all your help

bigsexymack, May 14, 1:28am
Oh l forgot to mention the people l am doing the baking are people who have cancer

marcs, May 14, 1:43am
I use 3 slices in each sandwich and put only one filling in between each. Either use butter or something else to make the fillings stick so that they don't fall apart. the combinations sound good. I also do egg and thinly sliced cucumber, Chicken, lettuce and Mayo.