Need new ideas for cauliflower

Page 2 / 2
ruby19, Jan 17, 8:10pm

malcovy, Jan 17, 9:35pm

rosathemad, Jan 17, 10:48pm
I'm sure it is - it sounds yummy! There was a lovely cauliflower soup recipe in Donna Hay mag last year - we've made it lots since I discovered it. I wrote it up here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/07/amazing-donna-hay-cauliflower-soup.html - definitely a highly recommended recipe. It includes a crumble topping made with tiny bits of cauli and parmesan cheese, which is tasty but I leave out for every day. It's also awesome topped with a bit of crispy bacon. :-)

I also quite like cauliflower chopped up with potato and cooked in curry spices - or in curry in general.

lythande1, Jan 17, 10:53pm
Try this: http://www.healthysimplerecipes.com/vegetarian-whole-food/vegetable-gougere.html

I sometimes add chicken and make it a one dish meal.

samanya, Jan 17, 11:00pm
This is my favourite .courtesy Digby Law
1 medium cauliflower
1 tab good curry powder
2 cloves garlic finely chopped
1 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped
salt to taste
2 tabs butter or oil
1 tsp cumin
cut cauliflower into large florets sprinkle with curry powder, garlic, ginger & salt; mix well.
Heat oil/butter in shallow pan, fry cumin for 1/2 minute, add cauliflower mixture & cook for 3 minutes stirring thoroughly.
Lower the heat, sprinkle a little water over & steam/simmer until cauliflower is just cooked.

ffloss, Jan 18, 12:20am
We have just made Piccalilli this week using up a large cauli. - Yum

shellie72, Jan 18, 12:43am
I dont know if these have been mentioned but my two faverite ways to have cauli are:
Boiled and mashed with cream cheese, salt and pepper.
Boiled, drained and placed inan oven dish, cover with Maggi gluten free cheese sauce and gluten free Crunchie Crumbs with a little grated cheese mixed in with it, grill till crumbs brown. Yummo :)

malcovy, Jan 18, 1:34am
That will be my tea tonight!

mjhdeal, Jan 18, 2:48am
Raw vegan cauliflower 'cheese.' Tastes even better after a couple of days.

"Cauliflower Cheese By Russell James

For the cauliflower
1 medium cauliflower, split into small florets (this will be about 4/5 cups)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch turmeric

- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, massage in by hand and leave to marinate for 10 minutes

For the cheese sauce
1 1/2 cups cashews, soaked 20 minutes
2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice
6 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch turmeric

1 spring onions (green onion), finely chopped
5 chives, finely chopped

- Blend all ingredients except onions and chives in a high-speed blender until smooth.

- Stir in onions and chives by hand.

To assemble
Stir cheese and cauliflower mixture together, sprinkle with chopped chives and serve."

from: http://www.rawfreedomcommunity.info/forum/showthread.php!t=6524

frances1266, Jan 18, 3:10am
Break the cauli into florets, put in roasting dish, drizzle with olive oil, squeeze over lemon juice and sprinkle grated lemon rind and roast until edges turning brown, yum.

samanya, Jan 18, 7:03am
Hope you enjoy .I love it, but of course it won't be to everyone's taste.
Digby Law'sVegetable cookbook is a stained, oft used addition in my kitchen.
He's long deceased, so I have treasured the few books I have of his .but I notice that they have been re-printed & are well worth buying.

malcovy, Jan 18, 7:10am
I have a couple of his ones and the vegetable one I have.I was outside taking photos and pottering that I didn't end up cooking.I most definitely will be making that recipe.We have a leg of lamb that I will be cooking tomorrow and the cauliflower will be perfect with it.

suzanna, Jan 18, 7:16pm
This is a great site. I make the cauliflower pizza alot with great success. http://www.examiner.com/low-carb-in-national/cauliflower-pizza-crust-worth-its-wow-gold!page=1

malcovy, Jan 18, 8:45pm

samanya, Jan 18, 9:55pm
Doesn't it just!
I love sushi & that will be definitely worth a try.

uli, Jan 19, 3:30am
Terribly rolled on those pictures.

I have done that one several times for low carb people and it is always well received.

Cool the cauli then roll it - then cool it again before cutting you will get a much better and more even result.

If everything fails and it will not come together re-cook briefly with a bit of gelatine, cool and it will work a treat!

Will keep in the fridge for days so make LOTS!

malcovy, Jan 19, 5:16am
Good idea about gelatine.It wouldn't last long in my fridge.Thanks Uli