Need new ideas for cauliflower

Page 1 / 2
lavender32, Jan 17, 10:34pm
Tired of cauli & cheese sauce.Do you think it's possible to maybe crumb flowerettes & lightly fry? Any ideas gratefully received.

rosathemad, Jan 17, 10:48pm
I'm sure it is - it sounds yummy! There was a lovely cauliflower soup recipe in Donna Hay mag last year - we've made it lots since I discovered it. I wrote it up here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/07/amazing-donna-hay-cauliflower-soup.html - definitely a highly recommended recipe. It includes a crumble topping made with tiny bits of cauli and parmesan cheese, which is tasty but I leave out for every day. It's also awesome topped with a bit of crispy bacon. :-)

I also quite like cauliflower chopped up with potato and cooked in curry spices - or in curry in general.

lythande1, Jan 17, 10:53pm
Try this: http://www.healthysimplerecipes.com/vegetarian-whole-food/vegetable-gougere.html

I sometimes add chicken and make it a one dish meal.

uli, Jan 17, 10:54pm
If you google our NZ low carb website - there is a thread about cauliflower with about 20 different recipes including cauli rice, cauli roasted and lots more - I cannot give a link here - as TM is worried we may talk to each other via the webpage and they could lose out on a dollar or two of auction money LOL :)

So you have to go and google and think for yourself!

bedazzledjewels, Jan 17, 11:21pm
Oh poster #1 - I couldn't live without cauli! They're a bit pricey right now though. Go to our website for lots of very tasty ideas - see previous post.

iriegirl, Jan 18, 12:17am
This is my fav cauliflower recipe, compliments of the BBC’s Hairy Bikers, and I don’t even like cauli much!

Aloo gobi
2 T oil
1 onion, finely chopped
4cm fresh ginger, grated
1 t mustard seeds
5 curry leaves
½ t ground turmeric
½ t ground fenugreek
2 green chillies, left whole
½ t chilli powder
½ t salt
3 potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
250g tomatoes, chopped
½ small cauliflower
1 t lemon juice
½ t sugar
2 t water
1. Heat the ghee or vegetable oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
When hot, add the onions and fry for 2-3 minutes, or until softened.
2. Add the ginger, mustard seeds, curry leaves, ground turmeric,
ground fenugreek, whole green chillies, chilli powder and salt. Stir the
mixture well and cook for two minutes, or until the seeds start to pop
and the spices smell fragrant.
3. Add the potatoes and stir well, then add the tomatoes, cauliflower,
lemon juice, sugar and water and bring the mixture to the boil.
Reduce the heat and simmer the mixture for 25-30 minutes, or until
the potatoes have cooked through and the mixture has thickened.

elliehen, Jan 18, 1:40am
Try another variety.I was given a Cheddar from a friend's garden - didn't taste any different...just looked 'cheesey', but it's said to contain 25 times the level of Vitamin A of white varieties. "This [orange] trait came from a natural mutant found in a cauliflower field in Canada (B. oleracea L. var. botrytis)."

There's also a green (Broccoflower) and a purple cultivar.With the current fad for cauliflower, it won't be long before you can get them in pink or blue ;)

lavender32, Jan 17, 10:34pm
Tired of cauli & cheese sauce.Do you think it's possible to maybe crumb flowerettes & lightly fry! Any ideas gratefully received.

rosathemad, Jan 17, 10:48pm
I'm sure it is - it sounds yummy! There was a lovely cauliflower soup recipe in Donna Hay mag last year - we've made it lots since I discovered it. I wrote it up here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/07/amazing-donna-hay-cauliflower-soup.html - definitely a highly recommended recipe. It includes a crumble topping made with tiny bits of cauli and parmesan cheese, which is tasty but I leave out for every day. It's also awesome topped with a bit of crispy bacon. :-)

I also quite like cauliflower chopped up with potato and cooked in curry spices - or in curry in general.

bedazzledjewels, Jan 17, 11:21pm
Oh poster #1 - I couldn't live without cauli! They're a bit pricey right now though. Go to our website for lots of very tasty ideas - see previous post.

elliehen, Jan 18, 1:40am
Try another variety.I was given a Cheddar from a friend's garden - didn't taste any different.just looked 'cheesey', but it's said to contain 25 times the level of Vitamin A of white varieties. "This [orange] trait came from a natural mutant found in a cauliflower field in Canada (B. oleracea L. var. botrytis)."

There's also a green (Broccoflower) and a purple cultivar.With the current fad for cauliflower, it won't be long before you can get them in pink or blue ;)

bev00, Jan 18, 10:21am
Interesting about the high levels of Vit A Elliehen.
I tried a yellow variety called Bouquet. very flavoursome.
A nice ideawith Cauli:
Cook till tender
Arrange florets in casserole dish
Brush all over with 2 beaten egg whites
Sprinkle over parmesan cheese
Bake 10-15 mins.

munrotti, Jan 18, 10:30am
Cauliflower Salad - Raw cauli florets mixed with apricot yoghurt. add some pinenuts.Sounds weird, but very nice.

gardie, Jan 18, 5:24pm
Have grown white, yellow and purple cauli this season with great success.They look so awesome lightly steamed with some brocolli all piled on a plate.I don't tire of the coloured stuff as much as the white - I think they have a better taste personally - they certainly don't look as bland on your plate.Maybe its all in my mind!

rainrain1, Jan 18, 6:32pm
break into florets and par boil, cool, then combine with quartered boiled eggs to make a salad.You can add celery, cold chopped new potatoes, toasted nuts, peppers, peas, or whatever takes your fancy really.Mix with your favourite dressing

kcng, Jan 18, 7:13pm
Cauliflower purée is really nice with fresh fish

suzanna, Jan 18, 7:16pm
This is a great site. I make the cauliflower pizza alot with great success. http://www.examiner.com/low-carb-in-national/cauliflower-pizza-crust-worth-its-wow-gold!page=1

timetable, Jan 18, 7:30pm
cauli salad is lovely. steam broc just enough to soften a bit. then when cooled add chopped bacon, sliced spring onion, diced capsican and nuts of your choice then toss in your fav salad, sprinkle over finally chopped parsley and chives and dig in!

richard198, Jan 18, 8:32pm
I love Aloo Gobi!
Also Cauliflower Pakora are good. (Chick Pea flour batter; deep fried)

pericles, Jan 18, 8:34pm
Many years ago, I used to make battered cauli deep fried

loren8, Jan 18, 8:56pm
we 1/2 cook a whole cauli, then flour/egg/breadcrumb it and cook in oil + butter.Crumbed Cauli is very yummy and super filling :)

rainrain1, Jan 18, 9:03pm
dunk raw cauli in your favourite dip at snack time

dbab, Jan 18, 9:07pm
That sounds nice.
I do mine with mayo and toasted sesame seeds.

elliehen, Jan 18, 9:14pm
I roast cauliflower florets with my winter salad - cubed roasted vegetable medley, with feta stirred through it before serving.

uli, Jan 17, 7:58pm