Cauliflower Soup

amazing_grace, Oct 26, 2:33am
I grew these amazing cauliflowers http://www.gardeningincromwell.blogspot.com and would like to make cauli soup, but I am really worried about getting that horrible amonia smell from overboiled cauliflowers.I have heard people talk about nutty tasting cauli cream soup.Does anyone have a good recipe and some tips for not getting the smell?

geldof, Oct 26, 3:15am
fresh caulis shouldn't smell.I just cook my cauli (in small florets) in chicken or vege stock.then puree and add cream or evap milk.i often add blue cheese for adult consumption, or grated cheese for the kids.. they call it macaroni cheese soup

kirinesha, Oct 26, 3:20am
Leek, Cauli and Cheese Soup

You can follow the same method with broccoli and blue cheese too! This is also lovely with a good sprinkle of cooked chopped bacon for a more hearty result.

Ingredients

1 large leek - chopped
1/3 cauli - chopped
500ml chicken stock
Salt & pepper
1 cup grated cheese
3/4 cup cream

Method

Place leek and cauli in pot and cover with chicken stock.
Cook until soft then puree with hand wand.
Season well (will definitely need salt and pepper!)
Add 1 cup grated cheese and 3/4 cup cream.
Stir well over low heat until cheese is melted, check seasonings again.

motorbo, Oct 26, 5:35am
ive never ever had a bad smelling cauli soup, goish its delish if you add curry powder and cream!!

rosathemad, Oct 28, 9:19am
I am addicted to a recipe that was recently in Donna Hay mag (the winter one, I think - I posted it on my blog here: http://www.mrscake.co.nz/2010/07/amazing-donna-hay-cauliflower-soup.html ) - it's sooooooooooo good, I'm actually sad the weather is getting warmer because I won't be able to get away with making it so often anymore!

I haven't had any problem with ammonia smells or anything. :-)

martine5, Oct 28, 9:29am
I have just had a look at your blog it is amazing, your soup looks to die for.Who on earth does that fantastic photography it looks like it rivals delicious which is my all time food mag.

rosathemad, Jun 29, 1:04pm
Aww, thanks martine5! Mr Cake takes some pretty nice photos (I think the ones on the Donna Hay post are all his) and though I'm sure I don't come anywhere near rivalling the fancy magazines hopefully they make the food look yummy!