Stuffed peppers

tigerlilynz, Jan 14, 2:22am
anyone have a recipe, thanks

ant_sonja, Jan 14, 2:48am
How about lamb mince, onion, garlic, brown off in a hot pan with some olive oil - season with salt & pepper. Add some fresh herbs, thyme, oregano, Parsley. Remove from heat and stir in a couple of tbsp's of tomato paste and some nice chunks of fresh Feta cheese. Use this to stuff your peppers and bake in a moderate oven for 30 minutes or so. Serve with a leafy green salad and Tzaziki.

tigerlilynz, Jan 14, 2:48am
thank you!!

ruby19, Jan 14, 3:05am
Stuffed peppers, made these last night yum!

I used nz sweeties, long peppers, and did not tie up with string just wrapped individually in foil.

2 tbsp olive oil
50g pine nuts ( I used alomds as it was what I had)
140g long grain rice
2 garlic cloves , chopped
350g vegetable stock ( vegata)
1 bunch spring onions sliced thinly
140g cherry tomatoes , halved
150g ball mozzarella , chopped ( I used edam)
140g gorgonzola( I used creamy blue)
handful each of parsley and basil , chopped
3 red and 3 yellow peppers
seasoning

string , for tying

Make the stuffing: heat the oil in a medium pan with a lid and fry the pine nuts until lightly toasted, then add the rice and fry until the grains are glossy. Stir in the garlic, then add the stock and bring to the boil. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, until the rice is tender.Remove from the heat, cool slightly and stir in the spring onions, cherry tomatoes, mozzarella, gorgonzola and fresh herbs. Season well and leave to cool.
Stuff the peppers: cut around the stalk from one pepper, remove and set aside. Make one slit down the length of the pepper and open out gently. Remove the seeds and membrane.
Spoon some filling into the pepper cavity, taking care not to overfill.
Take about a metre length of kitchen string and wrap the centre point several times around the pepper stalk, tying it firmly.
Top with the stalk and wrap the ends of the string several times around the pepper to secure the filling. Tie the ends in a knot.Repeat with the other peppers.
Barbecue the stuffed peppers over moderate heat for 15-20 minutes, turning gently until the peppers are evenly browned. Don't worry if the string chars and if the peppers split too much - wrap them in a piece of foil and finish cooking in the foil wrappers.

ant_sonja, Jan 14, 3:19am
no problem - you can add/change ingredients to your taste really. I also meant to say I simply cut the tops off the peppers, remove the inner seeds etc and they stand upright once stuffed in the oven. You can put the tops back on too for looks lol

veejay13, Jan 14, 3:25am
A simple but tasty method is to stuff the peppers with mashed kumara, top with mushrooms, tomatoes, onion sauteed in butter.Then stand the peppers upright in a casserole dish, add 2 - 3 Tblesp.water, cover and bake at 190C until heated through.

mkbooks, Jan 14, 11:59pm
Cream cheese mixed with nuts + chopped dried apricots + dried thyme
Just spoon into the capsi halves . Bake in moderate oven until chees all melted + browned

motorbo, Jan 15, 12:17am
no offence, but isnt that just too much cream cheese

rainbowpride, Jan 15, 4:23am
I use a very basic recipe
1 chopped onion
1 chopped capsicum
3 large brown mushrooms diced
1 tsp garum masala
2 tsp fresh ground pepper
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1tsp soy sauce

saute the onion and then the capsicum, add the garum masala and pepper and saute for a further 3 - 4 minutes then add the sauces and then add the mushrooms and cook for a few more minutes until mushrooms are soft .

I also added ricotta at the end with the left over mixture I rolled it like sausage rolls in some pastry sheets with a bit of mozerralla and some cherry tomato's they go down a treat.

esther-anne, Jan 15, 7:54am
Our favourite:-

Yummy chilli stuffed peppers.

4 large red or green even-sized capsicum.
300 – 500gms premium mince
Large onion – brown or red
4 medium size fresh tomatoes
Mushrooms to taste – I use a little over a cup
3 tbspns basmati or jasmine rice
Can of tomatoes in juice (I use Homebrand, chopped.They are cheap but just as thick and tasty as the expensive brands)
1 tsp.ground cumin
1 tsp. ground coriander
2 tspns ground hot chilli(I use the hot Mexican – we like this dish hot)
1 tspn piri piri
Approx 5 tbspns olive or other vegetable oil

Remove the stem/ core/flesh out of the capsicum and rinse out seeds. Salt inside very lightly and put upside down in colander to drain.
Chop onion reasonably finely
Chop mushrooms into smallish pieces
Peel and core tomatoes and chop into a dish with a little fresh chopped coriander and/or basil and add the can of tomatoes.

In a saucepan gently sauté chopped onion until soft and add spices stirring for a few moments to allow flavours to develop.Add the minced beef a little at a time and stir until lightly browned.Add mushrooms and stir for a minute or so.Add the basmati rice and stir,at the same time adding salt to taste.Put aside and allow mixture to cool.
Turn on oven to low/medium heat-I use about 170C

Stand capsicums on a tray or in a dish to catch any spills making surethat all will stand upright.Half fill each with the mixture,packing quite firmly.Into each one add a couple of chunks of fresh tomato and then fill up to the top with remaining mince mixture.If more mince is used then usually there is some left in the pot and I mix this with all the remaining tomato plus what has overfilled into tray you are using.

Using a deepish casserole dish, in the oven,heat the 3 remaining tbspns of oil until quite hot.Stand the capsicums in the hot oil and pour over a all the remaining mince and tomato mixture.Cover with foil and cook until peppers are tender-green ones seem to take a little longer than the red – an hour to an hour and a half.Serve on a bed of extra rice with a green salad and crusty rolls or as we do, on a bed of creamy mashed potatoes with green beans and any other favourite vegetable.

There are only two of us at home now and four large capsicums provide a very adequate meal for two days.