How can i use up tomato relish? Suggestions Please

Page 1 / 3
tipsy_bl0nde, Jan 11, 10:57pm
I made a beautiful tomato relish on sunday and i am just wondering what i can bake with it.

I have 6 jars in the cupboard but i ran out of jars so filled up a 2L container of relish and refilled the jar i had in the fridge.

TIA would love to hear your thoughts

elliehen, Jan 11, 11:12pm
Put the container in the freezer.There will always be a rainy day...

tipsy_bl0nde, Jan 11, 11:14pm
Partner and i are getting sick of just using it on cheese and crackers. Made some scone pinwheels the other day with feta and the relish. very yummy but would like to do something else. might try pizzas. still open to suggestions though :)

baryl10, Jan 11, 11:44pm
I put Tomato Relish in my Meat Patties they are very nice
they also freeze very well
happy cookingBaryl10

buzzy110, Jan 11, 11:52pm
All cold meats.

Get creative and be prepared to experiment with different tastes. How about cooked cold sausages, split lenghtwise down the middle and filled with relish? Or are you a vegetarian?

In which case there are a 101 and one pulse/legume creations that would go well.

Rice and relish are nice - salad or glutinous rice balls.

I've caught my DH stirring it into plain, unsweetened yoghurt. He looked a bit sheepish about that though.

fifie, Jan 12, 12:00am
Don't be in to big a hurry to use it up it will keep and you can use it heaps of ways throughout winter. Few ideas, Spread it on weiner snitchel before putting onions mushrooms, tomatoes cheese etc on to bake, use in sauces for making winter stews, casseroles,meatballs.pizzas, dips, sandwiches, burgers, patties, savoury pinwheels with pkt of fav dried soup mix then spread relish on roll up and bake,all cold meats, pastry strips spread with relish, grated cheese and baked yummy snacks..

tipsy_bl0nde, Jan 12, 12:01am
no i am not a vegetarian. although im a member of PETA (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals) little chuckle. :) i thought about doing stuffed sausages with maybe some mash and cheese as well. i am doing spaghetti bolognaise for dinner so i can use some of the relish up and because i love cooking with it.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jan 12, 12:04am
i am in a slight hurry. this relish isnt a good friend of the freezer it makes it a lot more watery. so trying to avoid freezing. giving heaps away but im still left with a lot :) swapped a container with the neighbour for some green beans :) yumm!

buzzy110, Jan 12, 12:04am
OMG. Relish and mashed potatoes. Another one of those danged treats that make me want to go on a diet holiday.

tipsy_bl0nde, Jan 12, 12:09am
hehe ive been using the relish as my tomato sauce at the moment. had sausages, corn, beans and mash last night for dinner with relish :) gives it a tasty edge

elliehen, Jan 12, 12:13am
If it has plenty of chilli in it, I've got family members who eat it with a spoon from the jar :)

tipsy_bl0nde, Jan 12, 12:17am
hahahaha it does indeed have a good heat to it. i think 6 chillis made it in. Thank gosh to the food processor getting it all really fine. would be bad for my daughter (2) to get a bit chunk of chilli wow that would be hectic.

wildflower, Jan 12, 2:58am
I haven't had it in years but it used to be great on the vegie flavoured meal mates, they made an awesome combo.

nabbed, Jan 12, 3:13am
cheese and relish on toast mmmmm........

ellebaby, Jan 12, 3:23am
use it as a pasta sauce to go with mince, serve the mince on some noodles and top with a garlicy cheese sauce. yummmmmm

kermitnz1, Jan 12, 3:27am
The texas savoury muffins I make use 1/2 a cup of relish. I just do a double standard cheese muffin mix and add 1/2C relish, 1 chopped red capsicum, some chopped ham or salami (or both), fresh parsley and spring onion. They are delicious and very filling. They also freeze well.

lizab, Jan 12, 3:35am
I always use it in bacon and egg pies. Put big dollops of relish all over the bacon and eggs before putting the pastry top on. Relish is also good in a beef curry.

rainrain1, Jan 12, 5:54am
Do this with it.....you can scoop out what you need as it doesn't freeze solid

cgvl, Jan 12, 8:15am
nice in a curry too, I add relish to many of my mince dishes for extra flavour.

korbo, Jan 12, 8:52am
dont eat it all now, imagine those warm sunny days we occassionaly get in june, keep some for then, on crackers or whatever.

noelee, Jan 13, 12:56am
Make a guacamole using tomato relish, crushed garlic, and avocados chill in the fridge yummy

petal-pickle, Jan 13, 1:47am
Tipsy...
sounds like time to trade some of the relish for something fantastic your friends/neighbours have an excessive amount of....or maybe get down to your local farmers market!!

keeley4, Jan 13, 2:57am
Cook up sliced mushrooms, cool and then stir in relish and sour cream to taste - really nice salad or side dish.

blindguy, Jan 13, 7:28am
plase may u share ur recipie with me please

elliehen, Jan 13, 8:08am
Nice in a winter 'toastie pie' too.