HELP - can I save my Tomato relish???

jan2242, May 18, 10:53pm
I left the pot for 10 minutes and it burnt on the bottom. I tipped it out carefully and put it all in a new pot but it still smells burnt. This is 10kg tomatoes that i so hope I can save. Please can anyone help? ? ? ? I am so angry with myself over this.

margyr, May 18, 10:54pm
taste it, if it does not taste too bad, just call it a char grilled relish. I hope it is ok.

jan2242, May 18, 10:56pm
It tastes bitter. I wondered about adding more herbs etc? ? ?

margyr, May 18, 11:01pm
oh dear, sorry cant help, perhaps some sugar, others may know, I have to go out for a while but will ring my sister who makes heaps of pickles etc when i get back if you have not solved the problem.

jan2242, May 18, 11:02pm
Thank you so much - that would be great.

fifie, May 18, 11:44pm
Googled it and came up with this for taking away the burnt taste in spaghetti sauce, maybe worth a read just scroll down page sounds odd but it seems to have helped, Good Luck. . Oops heres the link
http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf417112. tip.html

margyr, May 19, 1:58am
hi again, have just spoken to the sister who said she did not know of any way to remove the taste, i read the peanut butter idea out to her and as she said you have nothing to lose, so give that a try although if it has gone cold you will probably have to re-heat it so the peanut butter can melt through it, do this slowly and make sure you stir it often.

cookessentials, May 19, 2:08am
Again the almighty raw potato comes in to play. Peel 1 - 2 large potatoes and add for 1/2 to 3/4 of an hour to absorb the burnt taste. You can also use a little sugar (to taste) to take the acrid burnt taste away.

lizab, May 19, 7:40am
oh Jan poor you! ! ! Hope the above tips help, as I have no ideas for you, sorry! Hope you can salvage your relish.

jan2242, May 19, 9:23pm
Thank you all. An update is the relish is fine thank goodness. I added more sugar to it plus a little chilli powder. It seemed to do the trick. My taste buds had given up so got a friend in to try and and she said it was great. I wasn't keen to try the peanut butter - just sounded weird I guess, but if all else had failed would have. Many thanks to all for your great help.

lizab, May 20, 7:34am
phew! ! ! ! :)

margyr, May 20, 6:20pm
thanks for the update jan, hope you enjoy your relish.

margyr, Jul 9, 8:25pm
ok, well I badly burnt my spag bog the other night and it had black bitter bits in it, i added about a desert spoon full of peanut butter (smooth) and stirred it through, took away the burnt taste, had no taste of peanut butter which although I love my husband hates, so would def recommend trying the peanut butter. If anything apart from saving me from having to throw it out the spag bog was slightly richer than usual.

jan2242, Jul 9, 11:57pm
That is great and i will make sure to do this if it ever happens again. I was just too chicken to try it LOL.

margyr, Oct 14, 8:15am
yeah, it sounded strange, but my spag bog would have had to have been thrown out so I thought i would give it a go.