Tomatoes and Cucumber...

Page 1 / 2
fisher, Jan 5, 10:12pm
With the glut of tomatoes and cucumbers, we have been making refreshing salads to go with our evening meals..
Although the basic ingredients are the same, the dressings give it that taste difference.. Vinaigrette's can be made and shaken in a lidded jar...
Ingredients : you choose :
Peeled and sliced cucumber..sixths of tomatoes.. sliced red onions.. red and yellow capsicum diced.. capers.. feta cheese.. grated cheese.. olive oil.. mustard.. red wine vinegar.. balsamic vinegar.. sugar.. garlic.. chopped fresh spring onions.. parsley.. basil.. chopped fresh mint.. sumac.. shallots.. lemon juice..

Basic Vinaigrette:
Dress tomatoes, red onions, and cucumber with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Into Fridge to infuse while you prepare your meal.. Remix before serving.. Use crusty bread for mopping up juices and oil.

Red Wine Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar.. 1 tbsp mustard.. 1 tbsp honey.. 3/4 cup olive oil..pinch or tow of red chili flakes.. rock salt.. freshly ground black pepper..
In a medium bowl, add red wine vinegar, mustard and honey. Whisk together. Slowly whisk in olive oil, to allow mixture to emulsify. Stir in chili flakes, salt and pepper, to taste.

You can change about the dressing with the ingredients you like.. and add what you want to the salad.. Dressing will keep in the fridge till your next salad..:}

uli, Jan 5, 10:20pm
Don't forget cucumbers with greek yoghurt and garlic - you could add some dill to make it non - greek :)

ant_sonja, Jan 5, 10:29pm
Also a good time of year to make Gazpacho:-)

uli, Jan 5, 10:33pm
... and of course pickled or fermented cucumbers for winter use.

motorbo, Jan 5, 11:00pm
can eat apple cucumbers all day long!!!

cookessentials, Jan 6, 12:03am
I polished off a whole Lebanese cucumber last night, just sliced thinly lengthwise...it was our first one off the vine and it was delicious.

dbab, Jan 6, 3:38am
A quick easy snack or finger food is
slice of telegraph cucumber, slice of tomato on top, followed by a cube of feta cheese.
Very refreshing and tasty

ant_sonja, Jan 6, 3:45am
Finely sliced cucumber, with a dressing made of lemon juice, a pinch of sugar, a splash of cream, Salt & pepper and loads of fresh Dill - Yum!

uli, Jan 6, 6:40am
Keep it coming ... just got in with a basket full of cucumbers ... only maybe 40 or so at last count.

angel404, Jan 6, 8:15am
i love cucumbers, onions and tomatoes soaked in vinegar (i pref balsamic)

lennyb1, Jan 6, 10:20am
My husband likes them lightly sauteed in a scant tablespoon of butter: 1 cucumber, 2 tomatoes, 1 onion, couple cloves garlic, all sliced or 3-4cm diced, salt&pepper, sprinkled with chopped fresh dill tips to serve.

buzzy110, Jan 6, 10:24am
uli, I did whole cucumbers in my crock using salt, dill and grape leaves (the tanin keeps them crunchy) and was wondering if there are any other ways you pickle your cucumber.

I have rather a delicious Polish salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and vinegar and another process involving salt. I haven't been brave enough to seal and store as it is a totally uncooked recipe and I'm not sure if the vinegar will allow for fermentation or not. Do you do anything similar and seal?

jaybee2003, Jan 6, 11:33am
Happy New Year all:-)

I love Sweet and Sour Cucumber Salad:

Peel and slice cucumber, salt lightly, cover and chill for 1/2 an hour. Prepare dressing: 1 T castor sugar, 1 1/2 T Wine Vinegar, lemon juice to taste, and freshly ground black pepper.
Chop fresh mint leaves ready to add.
Drain the liquid from the salted cucumber, mix through freshly chopped mint and the dressing. Chill in fridge until ready to serve. Chives are a nice addition too.

ant_sonja, Jan 6, 7:02pm
Cucumber and (or) Tomato Carpaccio - treat like beef carpaccio or have it with the beef/or tuna..Play around with the dressings - I love simple food as it offers endless variations to suit your individual palate :-)

uli, Jan 7, 12:27am
I am not sure either - try it out buzzy ... but I would most likely put the polish salad into glass jars and then use the plastic lids which do no close completely (as opposed to the ones which "clamp down"). So if it still keeps fermenting it is not going to blow up - but the CO2 will just get out in between the lid and the jar.

buzzy110, Jan 7, 3:45am
Yes, I think I'll try one small jar this year and see how it goes.

fisher, Jan 5, 10:12pm
With the glut of tomatoes and cucumbers, we have been making refreshing salads to go with our evening meals.
Although the basic ingredients are the same, the dressings give it that taste difference. Vinaigrette's can be made and shaken in a lidded jar.
Ingredients : you choose :
Peeled and sliced cucumber.sixths of tomatoes. sliced red onions. red and yellow capsicum diced. capers. feta cheese. grated cheese. olive oil. mustard. red wine vinegar. balsamic vinegar. sugar. garlic. chopped fresh spring onions. parsley. basil. chopped fresh mint. sumac. shallots. lemon juice.

Basic Vinaigrette:
Dress tomatoes, red onions, and cucumber with olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Into Fridge to infuse while you prepare your meal. Remix before serving. Use crusty bread for mopping up juices and oil.

Red Wine Vinaigrette:
1/2 cup red wine vinegar. 1 tbsp mustard. 1 tbsp honey. 3/4 cup olive oil.pinch or tow of red chili flakes. rock salt. freshly ground black pepper.
In a medium bowl, add red wine vinegar, mustard and honey. Whisk together. Slowly whisk in olive oil, to allow mixture to emulsify. Stir in chili flakes, salt and pepper, to taste.

You can change about the dressing with the ingredients you like. and add what you want to the salad. Dressing will keep in the fridge till your next salad.:}

uli, Jan 5, 10:20pm
Don't forget cucumbers with greek yoghurt and garlic - you could add some dill to make it non - greek :)

uli, Jan 5, 10:33pm
. and of course pickled or fermented cucumbers for winter use.

motorbo, Jan 5, 11:00pm
can eat apple cucumbers all day long!

cookessentials, Jan 6, 12:03am
I polished off a whole Lebanese cucumber last night, just sliced thinly lengthwise.it was our first one off the vine and it was delicious.

uli, Jan 6, 6:40am
Keep it coming . just got in with a basket full of cucumbers . only maybe 40 or so at last count.

buzzy110, Jan 6, 10:24am
uli, I did whole cucumbers in my crock using salt, dill and grape leaves (the tanin keeps them crunchy) and was wondering if there are any other ways you pickle your cucumber.

I have rather a delicious Polish salad made with cucumbers, tomatoes, onions and vinegar and another process involving salt. I haven't been brave enough to seal and store as it is a totally uncooked recipe and I'm not sure if the vinegar will allow for fermentation or not. Do you do anything similar and seal!

ant_sonja, Jan 6, 7:02pm
Cucumber and (or) Tomato Carpaccio - treat like beef carpaccio or have it with the beef/or tuna.Play around with the dressings - I love simple food as it offers endless variations to suit your individual palate :-)

uli, Jan 7, 12:27am
I am not sure either - try it out buzzy . but I would most likely put the polish salad into glass jars and then use the plastic lids which do no close completely (as opposed to the ones which "clamp down"). So if it still keeps fermenting it is not going to blow up - but the CO2 will just get out in between the lid and the jar.