Quinoa - I'm in need of recipes

sarahb5, Jan 28, 8:54am
I bought some of this at the weekend and just by luck (because there were no instructions on the packet) cooked it like rice in microwave. I then added feta, pesto, cherry tomatoes, red onion and cucumber for my lunch. It was yummy but does anyone have any other ideas on what to do with it?

245sam, Jan 28, 9:28am
sarahb5, your quinoa lunch sure reads as though it would have been very yummy.
Here's some info' and a couple of recipes using quinoa, from:-

http://trademecooks.net.nz/viewtopic. php? f=26&t=605

"Quinoa (keen-wa) is a very ancient grain and is extremely good for you. Contrary to popular belief that it is mainly a carbohydrate, it actually has a higher protein content and is good for those with gluten intolerance. It should be soaked overnight in water (you will notice a scum form on the top). It should then be drained and well rinsed before cooking.
explanation posted by caroline66

Vanilla and peach quinoa pudding
In a pot put 60g rinsed quinoa, 40mls apple juice, 75mls water and half teaspoon of vanilla. Bring to boil, turn down and simmer for 7 minutes, or until the grain is soft. Add 1/4 can of peaches, stir through. You can serve with yoghurt or cream. Good for breakfast too.

Tangy quinoa salad
Like a tabouleh. Wash 1 cup of quinoa. Bring 2 cups of water to boil, add quinoa. Reduce heat and cook uncovered until all water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Cool slightly. Whisk grated rind of a lemon with 1/2 cup lemon juice and 1/4 cup olive oil, stir into quinoa. Cool completely then add 1 each of red and yellow seeded and diced capsicum with 1 cup chopped parsely. Add ground black pepper to taste. Cathy above 2 both posted by seighjeigh"

Quinoa is something that I have yet to experiment with but I do have a collection of recipes waiting for that experimenting to begin so do you have a preference re type of recipe e. g. sweet or savoury?
:-))

sarahb5, Jan 28, 8:24pm
thanks for that - I didn't actually soak it or wash it before I cooked it but it seems to absorb more water than rice so I sort of double-cooked it last nice. For today's salad I have added chorizo, parsley, red onion, smoked paprika and a dash of raspberry vinegar as it needed some a bit "sharp"

elliehen, Sep 29, 6:05pm
Have you seen the other current 'What can I do with Quinoa' thread?