Angus Beef

pogram0, Jan 3, 7:10am
I purchased two prepackaged pieces of Angus beef from Countdown just before Xmas.I had one that same evening for dinner and froze the other one - I defrosted it and had it for dinner tonight.Both pieces were as tough as leather and did not have the usual Angus beef flavour.How can we be sure we are getting what we pay for at the supermarket?Does anyone know whether the supermarket packages it or does the Angus beef processors pre-package it for the supermarket?It is very annoying paying for beef that does not live up to its name.

cookessentials, Jan 3, 7:34am
I would ask Countdown. I have bought Angus beef from there and it usually has a label advising that it is angus beef.

pogram0, Jan 3, 7:43am
Oh, it certainly had the label.On the underside of the label it mentions about the qualities of Angus Beef and the marbling of the meat.There was no marbling through the meat.

sjc72, Jan 3, 8:04am
Angus Pure is just marketing crap - the animal does not have to be a full Angus only a partbred crossed with anything. Even then when the quota is hard to fill we have heard that anything that is black goes through. Angus is the largest cattle breed in NZ and that gives them strong leverage for such programmes, it is nothing about the quality - you get good Angus and not good Angus, just as with any other breed. When buying beef you are probably better off thinking about the season as it is a fresh product. It has been very dry until recently throughout most of the country so the freezing works will have been struggling to source good quality prime beef. We sell a lot of beef to the freezing works and when there is a drought and a shortage of cattle, we are amazed at what gets classed as prime.

davidt4, Jan 3, 8:58am
Supermarket meat is very unreliable and often wildly overpriced for the quality.If you have a local old fashioned butcher, ask him or her to get in some Angus Pure, and be prepared to buy a decent quantity to make it worthwhile.If you can sweet talk your butcher into dry-aging the beef you will be in for a treat, but be prepared to pay accordingly.It's absolutely worth it.A dry-aged Angus Pure T-Bone or sirloin is wonderful.

cookessentials, Jan 3, 9:02am
honestly, take back the unused one and tell yjem how bad the meat is and ask for a refund.

jaybee2003, Jan 3, 11:17pm
What cut of beef were they?
How did you cook them?
Did you cut them up yourself? With the grain/Against the grain?
How long did you let it stand before eating?

All make a huge difference to the tenderness and taste of the meat, but won't outweigh how beef is aged, storage and handling, the stress the animal is or isn't under at the time of killing [ph levels], and as above, what they have been fed.

nzl99, Jan 3, 11:22pm
Gawd, I've had some very average Angus from Countdown, several times.Varying cuts... even the stirfry, mince and sausages.

Steaks cooked for 4 mins either side, covered and rested for 10... they are usually med/med rare depending on thickness.They should be a lot more tender than some I've had...

jen51, Jan 7, 11:44pm
countdown meat is crap

trish441, Jan 14, 5:12pm
Countdown meat comes in already packed.If you want a good piece of steak disregard the angus stickers and buy a piece that is marbled.Just because there is a sticker on it claiming it is angus dosent mean that it is a tender piece of steak.

Better still find a good local butcher that can source the meat for you.The prices are normally not that much different.I would rather pay a bit more and enjoy my meat.