It would be so much fun to open a cafe

Page 3 / 3
motorbo, Jan 2, 9:35am
have a fabulous holiday cookes, have you ever tried oysters with balsamic vinegar, i ask as ive never been a big fan, but had one the other day and the balsamic cleans your palate after it, very very nice! i do like mussels too when im in the mood but im not keen on fishy fish.

shop-a-holic, Jan 2, 10:59am
Uli, I didn't know you used your husbands name as your user name in disguise.

gardie, Jan 2, 6:03pm
We had a cafe for two years.We built it up wonderfully, increased the home baking range and sold for a profit.We were so ready to go by that stage.It is a lot of work and we were only open 5 days.We tried the Saturday morning thing but didn't work in our small suburb (Te Atatu Nth - as it was know then). A lot of our trade came from the office workers in the factories that were around.We had a wonderful vietnamese lady who worked for us and occasionally I would get her to make a salad or something for our dinner.Mostly we just wanted something normal.And waste can be a problem.At the end of each day we would put the leftovers onto the counter and sell them at half price - covered our costs.We also came from a big extended family and shared the love with them.Our chooks also ate well.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 7:21pm
Cant say I have.the very look of them puts me off and certainly not raw LOL

cookessentials, Jan 2, 7:26pm
I WILL elliehen, I will. Funnily enough, the Australian ones like Bowen are not stringy when you eat them. The ones here from Equador are a different matter! When in Noosa, I have a whole mango every morning, they are just so delicious and NOTHING like the ones you get here. Last Christmas, I got two Australian mangoes and made a beautiful "Mangomisu" from the Aussie "delicious" magazine ( which is one of my favourites.
I think any retail store can be a challenge at times. To me, customer service is paramount and I must say for the most part, my customers are fantastic.I very rarely have someone who is horrible. However, you still get the odd one that treats you like something on the bottom of your shoe, but they are few and far between. I get customers who are so amazed at the great service, I guess there are many businesses that do not give good service and some people expect nothing better.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 10:14pm
Thanks luckyduck, we are looking forward to it. There is a great restaurant there called "Ochre" which serves some amazing Australian menus such as wattle seed damper, crocodile, emu and Kangaroo.we will definately be trying that one. I see they do a gluten free and a vegetarian menu too.

http://www.ochrerestaurant.com.au/menu.html

uli, Jan 2, 6:22am
So how is it progressing vintage kitty!

cookessentials, Jan 2, 8:39am
13th up to Auckland overnight and fly out 14th away 10 days. Found a gorgeous place to stay 5 star right across from the sea.
http://www.seachange-beachfront-apartments.com/trinity_beach_accommodation.htmspecial Birthday celebrations for my boy

toadfish, Jan 2, 9:25am
lol - More boredom bumping. This is coming up 3 years now. I say let it die.,.,,

t.gypsy, Jan 2, 9:40am
well if you realise running a cafe isnt all roses and bees then should be fine.

if you can handle pleasing the customers even the silliest one rubbing your noses into the dirt you will be fine

as long you realise what you may like and want isnt what the public will want and willing to cater to what they would want.

prepared if you want to exceed the service of those customers to work long hours

most of all realise anything to do with hospo isnt about romantic ideas being all easy sweet sugar nothings.

dreamers, Jan 2, 7:49pm
There is a great Authentic French Restaurant in Cairns in town,worth a try.

clevercloggs, Jan 2, 9:04pm
Trust me, it ain't fun. Very long hours for little pay. Customers who walk in and then walk out again because you haven't got the food they are craving at the time. Huge food wastage and lots and lots of bills.
On the plus side, I met some neat people in my cafe days but wouldn't be tempted to do it all again.I would consider a place for breakfasts only in a touristy area to cater to families.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 10:14pm
Thanks luckyduck, we are looking forward to it. There is a great restaurant there called "Ochre" which serves some amazing Australian menus such as wattle seed damper, crocodile, emu and Kangaroo.we will definately be trying that one. I see they do a gluten free and a vegetarian menu too.

http://www.ochrerestaurant.com.au/menu.html