It would be so much fun to open a cafe

Page 2 / 3
t.gypsy, Jan 2, 9:40am
well if you realise running a cafe isnt all roses and bees then should be fine..

if you can handle pleasing the customers even the silliest one rubbing your noses into the dirt you will be fine

as long you realise what you may like and want isnt what the public will want and willing to cater to what they would want.

prepared if you want to exceed the service of those customers to work long hours

most of all realise anything to do with hospo isnt about romantic ideas being all easy sweet sugar nothings..

cookessentials, Jan 2, 7:19pm
Yes, I have someone who helps out when required. She steps in when we go to the gift fair in August as well.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 7:21pm
Cant say I have...the very look of them puts me off and certainly not raw LOL

cookessentials, Jan 2, 7:26pm
I WILL elliehen, I will. Funnily enough, the Australian ones like Bowen are not stringy when you eat them. The ones here from Equador are a different matter! When in Noosa, I have a whole mango every morning, they are just so delicious and NOTHING like the ones you get here. Last Christmas, I got two Australian mangoes and made a beautiful "Mangomisu" from the Aussie "delicious" magazine ( which is one of my favourites.
I think any retail store can be a challenge at times. To me, customer service is paramount and I must say for the most part, my customers are fantastic...I very rarely have someone who is horrible. However, you still get the odd one that treats you like something on the bottom of your shoe, but they are few and far between. I get customers who are so amazed at the great service, I guess there are many businesses that do not give good service and some people expect nothing better.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 7:29pm
Hi toeblister, a Happy New Year to you too. I will have the laptop with me as I have to be "here" for the website, answering queries etc and also available for Carol who is running the shop while we are away,so although on holiday, I will still be a around. Always happy to help out where and when I can and look forward to sharing more recipes and tips this new year.

luckyduck, Jan 2, 7:58pm
You will love it there. We stayed at Trinity beach a couple of years ago and had a great time. Have a great trip.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 10:14pm
Thanks luckyduck, we are looking forward to it. There is a great restaurant there called "Ochre" which serves some amazing Australian menus such as wattle seed damper, crocodile, emu and Kangaroo...we will definately be trying that one. I see they do a gluten free and a vegetarian menu too.

http://www.ochrerestaurant.com.au/menu.html

uli, Jan 2, 1:05am
So how did you go with "It would be so much fun to open a cafe" . "At least you would have nice meals each day." vintagekitty!

eastie3, Jan 2, 3:09am
Back on track.we have friends who own cafes here in Wellington and they do very well.However they have a long track record in the industry,have owned pubs,bars etc,know what they are doing and keep a very close eye on their businesses.They have never had a rose-tinted view of their industry which has no doubt helped them become such a success.

uli, Jan 2, 4:52am
oh eastie3 I didn't realize you were vintagekitty in disguise :)

toadfish, Jan 2, 5:15am
lol andI didn't realise the weather was bad in the Far North. Boredom bumping I call it (this post is a year old). Just ignore it ladies.

southerngurl, Jan 2, 6:10am
my BIL is trying to sell theirs. too much hassle, to much stress. They were both working 6 day weeks. Apparently its always busy but it makes for long days.

eastie3, Jan 2, 6:17am
oh piss off uli

cookessentials, Jan 2, 8:11am
MMMmmm, now THERE'S a thought VK!
It keeps me pretty busy thats for sure. Alot of hard work,a few sleepless nights, but hugely rewarding.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 8:23am
Do you like Saurkraut VK!

vintagekitty, Jan 2, 8:26am
eew, no, its bitter and sour. I like prawns and crayfish but not fish which is strange

cookessentials, Jan 2, 8:31am
How about prawns! hoping to try a good variety soon up in Cairns. They have banana prawns,Crystal Bay ( which are really delicious)
Staying at Trinity Beach which will be great.

cookessentials, Jan 2, 8:33am
As for a cafe' ( like any business) a cool head, be a little conservative, put some money away for a rainy day and if you are passionate about what you do, it can only be a success. I love what I do, it is my passion.

vintagekitty, Jan 2, 8:34am
when do you leave!

vintagekitty, Jan 2, 8:40am
That looks so lovely, have you been to Thursday Island!

cookessentials, Jan 2, 8:48am
Just looked up Thursday Island which looks great. Have you been!

cookessentials, Jan 2, 8:50am
Mangoes are the other things I am hanging out for.I adore them. When we are in Noosa, we have them every morning for breakfast. You can buy them fresh at Eumundi Market 3 for $5 and they are huge,sweet and juicy.

vintagekitty, Jan 2, 8:51am
No, I havent. I wanted to last time I was in Cairns but didnt have enough time. I have friends that have and ive seen their photos, it looks great. One day!

You are going to have such a good time, do you have someone who looks after the shop!

toeblister, Jan 2, 8:52am
cookessentials I wish you a very Happy New year and trust you will have a fantastic holiday with your husband. (Trinity Island has wow written all over it!)What we will do without you for 10 days.Thank you for all your help with my cooking over 2010. I'm sure I will be looking for your help on your return :)

elliehen, Jan 2, 9:05am
vintagekitty, the problem with owning a cafe is the wastage of good food.I couldn't bear to see food go to the skip or the pigs :(