Cooking rhubarb

Page 3 / 3
picxie, Jan 10, 8:21am
Bumping for jam recipe :)

kenrick69, Dec 31, 7:16pm
I chop boil add sugar then cool DUN! but hubby says his mum used to blanche then drain then cook to remove the 'poisons' I know some people eat the leaves like silverbeet. anybody do the same in blanching first!I just thought everyone cooked it the same - silly me!:8)

ibcreative, Dec 31, 7:54pm
It's the leaves that are poisonous, not the stalks so no need to cook twice as there's no poison to remove.

fauna1, Dec 31, 10:44pm
I hope no-one eats leaves 'like silverbeet', Leaves are very poisonous to humans, deaths have occurred where some leaf was left on top of stalk. Goats can eat with impunity so I suppose sheep are the same. Unless the sheep belong to you I would hesitate to feed them anything a bit unusual.

seniorbones, Jan 1, 5:17am
I was taught to not 'peel' otherwise it takes the colour out, chop up in 1inch size peices sprinkle with sugar and leave overnight then cook in the syrup that has created with the sugar, I also add apple and its yummy with cereal for just yoghurt for breakfast.

seniorbones, Jan 1, 5:19am
oh and forgot I would never ever eat the leaves.dont even put them in your compost, as everyone else has said they are poinson. ALso dont cut your stalks off the plants they need to be just pulled off. I have just chopped up a lot and put straight into plastic bags and frozen, I never blanch and I use them for lots of cakes or just cook with apple.

uli, Jan 1, 5:35am
Of course you can compost the leaves. The only poisonous thing are the oxalate crystals and some anthraquinone glycosides. And they will only "poison" you if you ingest huge amounts uncooked. They won't do anything at all to your compost :)

ferrit47, Jan 1, 9:44am
What about Dayshade !

kenrick69, Jan 1, 10:14am
Cheers for all the info guys I new I could count and you! I pop my leaves back under the plant and have leaves like sun shades! good luck everyone with ur gardens too:8)

uli, Jan 10, 8:23am
Jam recipe:
1kg of fruit
1kg of sugar
boil until the jam sets,
bottle and seal.

lindylambchops1, Jan 10, 8:24am
I like my rhubarb cooked in orange juice freshly squeezed and also sometimes I like to add dates.

kaylfrazer, Jan 11, 12:28am
Rhubarb champagne is easy and tastes great
http://saucysisters.blogspot.com/2009/02/rhubarb-champage.html
after years of struggling to keep up with rhubarb. we now don't have enough!

cookessentials, Jan 11, 8:32am
Rhubarb Fool

1 bunch rhubarb, trimmed
75g caster sugar
300ml thickened cream
2 tbsp icing sugar mixture
200g plain yogurt
1 tsp grated lemon rind

Chop the rhubarb into 3cm lengths — you will need 3 cups of chopped rhubarb. Combine the rhubarb with the caster sugar in a medium saucepan; cook, stirring, over a low heat, until the sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil, then simmer, stirring, for about 3 minutes or until the rhubarb is just tender; cool.
Beat the cream in a small bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Stir in the icing sugar, yogurt and rind. Swirl the cooled rhubarb mixture through the cream mixture, then spoon into 4 x 180ml)glasses. I like to use footed glasses, the look really elegant.

Refrigerate until ready to serve.

schnauzer11, Jan 11, 11:54am
Rhubarb Fool-made it last night.Cook chopped rhubarb with not much water and a fair bit of sugar,then let it completely cool.Whip some cream until quite thick.Plop the rhubarb in,then fold into the cream gently.Chill in the fridge before serving.

pam.delilah, Jan 12, 2:14am
just done some this way.Added some chopped stemmed ginger to it. Sooo nice