Rhubarb for a Diabetic

donnabeth, Apr 12, 3:29am
I want to make a dessert of poached rhubarb and ginger for a dinner party, but one of my friends has insulin dependent diabetes. She usually cooks foods that don't need any sweeteners rather than use artificial(and rhubarb simply cannot be eaten without sweetener!)

I'm prepared to discreetly cook her rhubarb separately, but I'm not sure what sort of sweetener to use or how much. To me Sucaryl and Equal leave an artificial flavour behind and I don't know anyone with a Stevia plant.

Can anyone offer a suggestion?

fatdx, Apr 12, 3:30am
Can you add some extra sweet fruit to hers for that sweet flavour eg dates, sultana etc?

cgvl, Apr 12, 3:39am
donnabeth add a sweet eating apple to the rhubarb. It will sweeten the rhubarb nicely and your other guests maybe could add sugar at the table if theirs is not sweet enough to their taste.
I'm diabetic and that is all I do, even DH is getting used to not having stewed fruit sweetened with sugar or artificial sweeteners.

joybells2, Apr 12, 3:48am
If you want to sweeten it with Sucaryl dont cook it with it in, add afterwards when cooked and its not bitter then.

lythande1, Apr 12, 4:32am
It doesn't matter so long as she knows in advance and can adjust her insulin accordingly.
Insulin diabetics can eat sugar you know.

nfh1, Apr 12, 4:50am
Why would you add sugar?I love stewed rhubarb, sometimes with apples or feijoas but never with sugar!

donnabeth, Apr 12, 4:52am
Thanks for your replies. Yes, she can have some sugar, but honestly, rhubarb takes A LOT of sugar to make it sweet enough not to zing your fillings. I usually have no problems making a dessert for her, but my problem this time is I want to use rhubarb and I want to make it work without asking her to increase her insulin dose.I will try mixing the apple and rhubarb as ginger goes well with apple too.

The portion will no doubt be small, therefore it must be perfect.

bedazzledjewels, Apr 12, 4:53am
There are other sweeteners too, like Spenda and xylitol.
I agree with Lythande - ask her what option she prefers.

susieq9, Apr 12, 4:53am
I use Splenda for sweetening if needed. Doesn't leave after bitter taste.

donnabeth, Apr 12, 4:57am
[quote=nfh1Why would you add sugar?I love stewed rhubarb, sometimes with apples or feijoas but never with sugar!

Maybe it's my rhubarb; I'll look into fertilsers to sweeten it next year. I can eat a slice of lemon(soaked in gin of course) more easily than a spoonful of unsweetened rhubarb.

nfh1, Apr 12, 5:20am
I love it without sugar!

No need to roll eyes though - it is allowed to have a different opinion.

elliehen, Apr 12, 5:24am
If you can get away with it, nfh1 ;)

I actually sweeten rhubarb and also tart apples with a handful of dates.Dates are also a friend of ginger.

nfh1, Apr 12, 5:26am
LOL - I will try that I love dates as well.

korbo, Apr 12, 1:56pm
do u use ground ginger or crystalised ginger.

margyr, Apr 12, 7:01pm
before you cook the rhubarb put it in the pot and cover with boiling water let this stand for about a minute and then drain and cook. This removes the zingy feeling, and will not need to sweeten the rhubarb.

lythande1, Apr 12, 8:23pm
Well, I don't put that much in it, my husband is a type 1 diabetic.
I'd ask her anyway, maybe she doesn't even like rhubarb, some people don't.

elliehen, Apr 12, 8:38pm
Was that question for me, korbo?I mentioned ginger, not for sweetening, but because it gives a 'zing' to any recipe with dates.A chopped lump or two of crystalised ginger (with dates) adds flavour to rhubarb and apples but minimal sugar.Ground ginger goes well with dates in baked goods.

gilligee, Apr 12, 8:53pm
Some people cook it in orange juice to avoid using sugar. It is a lovely combination.