Cooking rhubarb

Page 2 / 3
bev00, Jan 2, 2:27am
great ways with rhubarb

gingercrush, Jan 2, 2:32am
I love just dipping the stalks raw in sugar.

ourlotnz, Jan 2, 2:39am
How do you know when they are ready!I planted mine a few months back now and the leaves and stalks are huge.Do they need to be a certain colour! I have not grown rhubarb before. Thanks :)

dbab, Jan 2, 3:23am
Just realised this is a thread from last year!

sylvia, Jan 2, 8:38am
I use a mix of artificial sweetener and sugar, this cuts down on the amount of sugar you need but still gives it a sweet taste - I find rhubarb too tart without loads! Also just add water and bring to the boil, cover and turn off element and let poach - you can do other fruit the same way using this poaching method and it is delicious as it keeps it shape beautifully.

mardi5, Jan 6, 10:39pm
I do the same and bottle it for winter for fruit on breakfast cereal or deserts

fec2003, Jan 7, 2:33am
Doesn't matter if it's an old thread - there are people who haven't cooked rhubarb before! So whoever resurrected it - well done!

My favourite way to cook it is to cut it into 3inch pieces, rinse well, then place into a baking tin. Dredge with caster sugar (or for diabetics, a good quality powdered sweetener) and a 1/2 cup of water. Cover well with foil and bake at 160C for 25 minutes - a sharp knife should pierce it easily, but it should hold its shape. Just as it's cooling, sprinkle over some finely chopped crystalised ginger. Yummy as a pud on its own, with cream, or on cereal in the morning! I love rhubarb and this way it keeps its shape, making portion control much simpler! And it looks great with a little of the pink syrup drizzled on it as a glaze!

griffo4, Jan 7, 6:40am
l read a tip from Simon Gault and he said that he put about 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in at the end of cooking to take away the bitey taste
l need to pick some of mine it has gone mad and l have the large variety and some stalks weigh nearly 1kg if it is fed well but a nice tasty variety

ggmd, Jan 7, 2:50pm
Cut stalks into 2 inches, put in a roasting pan or oven dish, dot with un-salted butter and sprinkle with raw-golden castor sugar, roast in a hot oven @ 200c for 10-15 minutes, can be eaten hot or cold. I like it with panna cotta.

pam.delilah, Jan 7, 7:53pm
agree about cutting uprhubarb with scissors , rather than with a knife,, so much easier

pam.delilah, Jan 7, 7:56pm
sounds sooo nice, will try it next time I cook some up. Just did some yesterday, the pot method

cgvl, Jan 7, 11:14pm
I cook mine with a sweet apple in it. Don't use any sugar that way.

When is it ready. when the stalks are long enough to be picked and the sweetest stalks are the thin new ones.
I have rhubarb literally going to waste, for some reason we seem to have an abundance of it. Makes nice jam with either ginger, bananaor berries added. It also doesn't taste like rhubarb either.

sunshine78, Jan 8, 12:25am
can someone elaborate for me about cooking with the jelly.as in a packet of crystals!never heard of it but am intruiged.
TIA

buzzy110, Jan 8, 12:30am
It is BLACK NIGHTSHADE leaves they eat not the deadly variety. Potatoes, tomatoes and eggplant are all varieties of the nightshade family that can be eaten by most people without undue problems.

picxie, Jan 8, 2:55am
cgvl, can you give me your jam recipe please! We have lots and I would love to make jam with it!

anabelles, Jan 8, 4:31am
With my arthritic wrists I find chopping Rhubarb very difficult so lay it in a casserole and sprinkle with wateror orange juice or whatever. Bake in the oven till soft.
Let it cool till it can be cut and sweeten at that stage.

chooky, Jan 8, 7:07am
I just add a packet of jelly, I like blackberry the best. That gives it a nice colour and is also all the sugar added, dont add anymore. An eldery neighbour told me that hint many years ago and I have been doing it ever since.

ferrit47, Jan 8, 8:37am
Add Some Ginger & bit of Sugar.

cgvl, Jan 8, 9:04am
picxie I will look them out for you. can give you some quantities from my head but can't remeber how much if any water is added.

picxie, Jan 9, 12:05am
Thanks cjvl, much appreciated! I have found a basic recipe but one with ginger/bananas/berries sounds nicer!

mrsmcgoo, Jan 9, 4:49am
tut - don't boil the sheez out of rhubarb - put in a roasting pan and roast for about 20 mins - til firm but tender - that way it holds its shape and does not go slushy.Add sugar and voila. - also - always water base of plants not the leaves otherwise you get massive leaves and skinny stems.Also roooobarb love poo *ahem* .

you can make yummy coulis/sauce by stewing some roooobarb and strawbs together with sugar to taste - strain or not (up to you) freeze if you wish - yum on ice cream etc or as cheescake topping :)

poppy103, Jan 9, 7:54am
I cooked some last night with Sugar and Crystallised Ginger added to it and about a cup of water and simmered it very slowly till cooked.I also squeezed the juice of one lemon and added to it.Delicous result and off to enjoy with some home-made Greek yoghurt for supper.

sunshine78, Jan 9, 8:00am
Thanks chooky. Have added this to recipe book

nakinana1, Jan 9, 9:02am
My favourite way of cooking Rhubarb, is easy and quick, chop it into the lengths you like, boil in water (keep water well under the amount of rhubarb), add sugar required, depending on amount cooked, add 1 or 2 capfulls of Raspberry Essence, takes the tartness away and really yummy ! !ENJOY !

sclaredy_cat, Jan 9, 9:19am
I had a giggle at that too, people always infuse the two don't they! My daughter ate handfuls of the black nightshade berries once, hubby rang me at work in a panic. I rang the national poisons centre, who advised me that she would be fine. Their toxicity is a bit of a myth apparently. Unlike rhubarb leaves which I would never eat, but they do make a good pesticide!