Best way to cook Asparagus

clair4, Dec 23, 9:00pm
Please tell me the best way to cook fresh asparagus.Just bought a large bag for tomorrow.

ant_sonja, Dec 23, 9:22pm
depends on what you're serving it with and what you like? Easiest is to very quickly blanch the stems in boiling water 2-3 minutes or less depending on size. Serve on a warmed plate with fresh hollandaise sauce or simply season with salt, pepper, lemon juice & knobs of butter - yum! If you're having the spears alongside a BBQ then you can also grill them on the hotplate for a few minutes and again serve with accompaniments & sauces of your choice - garlic aoli to dip the pears in is nice. Another option is to quickly blanch them as mentioned above - leave to cool and serve wrapped in thin slices of Ham (serve with still warm new potatoes and loads of butter - divine!

clair4, Dec 23, 9:27pm
Thanks.Just plain to serve at a barbecue

lythande1, Dec 24, 1:29am
You can BBQ it but I personally would just put it in water. Tie it gently with cooking string and stand it in the pot stems down, tips poking out.
That way it cooks evenly,

gardie, Dec 24, 1:30am
I like stirfried.

seniorbones, Dec 24, 1:36am
if you youtube 'simon gault' he does it with lots of sugar and salt and lashings of butter, I bring the water to the boil in a large frypan only cook 2 mins, turn the timer on, I have found 3 is too soft, then if you wrap in acold damp teatowel it keeps it warm for quite some time. Yes it works! otherwise serve as soon as its cooked with hollandaise sauce or grated parmesan cheese over

holly-rocks, Dec 24, 2:16am
Hi, i have an Asian friend who makes the best asparagus! He looks them in a a wok with a bit of oil, fresh garlic, fresh grated ginger and fish sauce, he cooks them for ages ( like 15 mins ) then adds a drop of sesame oil at the end ( can add sesame seeds here too ). Sooooo goood and a change to the way i normally look it which is stir fried fast or steamed / boiled quickly with s&p, butter and lemon juice (:

duckmoon, Dec 24, 3:12am
hubby used to live on an asparagus farm...
he likes them microwaved...

If you want to BBQ them, then I put a 2 toothpicks through 4 or 5(one at the bottom, one below the spear) and put them on the hotplate

ant_sonja, Dec 23, 9:22pm
depends on what you're serving it with and what you like! Easiest is to very quickly blanch the stems in boiling water 2-3 minutes or less depending on size. Serve on a warmed plate with fresh hollandaise sauce or simply season with salt, pepper, lemon juice & knobs of butter - yum! If you're having the spears alongside a BBQ then you can also grill them on the hotplate for a few minutes and again serve with accompaniments & sauces of your choice - garlic aoli to dip the pears in is nice. Another option is to quickly blanch them as mentioned above - leave to cool and serve wrapped in thin slices of Ham (serve with still warm new potatoes and loads of butter - divine!

seniorbones, Dec 24, 1:36am
if you youtube 'simon gault' he does it with lots of sugar and salt and lashings of butter, I bring the water to the boil in a large frypan only cook 2 mins, turn the timer on, I have found 3 is too soft, then if you wrap in acold damp teatowel it keeps it warm for quite some time. Yes it works! otherwise serve as soon as its cooked with hollandaise sauce or grated parmesan cheese over

duckmoon, Dec 24, 3:12am
hubby used to live on an asparagus farm.
he likes them microwaved.

If you want to BBQ them, then I put a 2 toothpicks through 4 or 5(one at the bottom, one below the spear) and put them on the hotplate

bev00, Dec 24, 11:17am
chargrilled is nice

pickles7, Dec 25, 6:29am
I am cooking mine in the microwave tomorrow. We have had a lot of asparagus this season.

uli, Dec 25, 6:35am
I cook in very little water - then dump them boiling hot into a salad dressing made from vinegar, salt, pepper, olive oil and garlic and some chopped spring onion if I have it - they take that up and taste lovely when cool.

lyl_guy, Dec 25, 7:57am
I drizzle mine with garlic oil, and roast for a few minutes. Yummm!

grouch, Dec 26, 3:59am
We didnt have a big enough dish to cook them on Xmas Day so the SIL said to just wash and snap the thick end off, put in a supermarket bag with a little water sprinkled on them, tie off and microwave for a few minutes. She put a little butter over the top when cooked and a little salt. Yummy!