Best way to cook asparagus?

Page 1 / 2
dollmakernz, Oct 16, 5:37am
The only asparagus we've ever had in our house is tinned, my husband LOVES it! I don't even like the smell of it! I bit the bullet and bought fresh on special yesterday but have no idea how to cook it.
What's the best way to cook it please?
Thanks

nzdoug, Oct 16, 5:43am
I like raw but "El Dente" is good. a short boil.

nanasee1, Oct 16, 5:43am
Wash & snap the ends off - there will be a natural point where they break and the ends are tender. I microwave mine, put into a cup with a tablespoon of water, cover with plastic wrap and micro on HIGH for about 90 seconds. You can cook them in a fry pan with simmering water - about 8 minutes; or steam them. YUM!

nauru, Oct 16, 5:54am
Fresh Asparagus is just yummy, way better than the overcooked canned stuff. I snap the ends off, rinse & lay on a plate with just the moisture from the rinse, cover plate and MW 1 minute on high. We also like it raw in salads and in stir fries. Great included in wraps, sandwiches and sushi too.

harrislucinda, Oct 16, 5:57am
I just cooked mine slow with a bit of water and a squeeze of a lemon juice on special at NW so have more for thurs night

greerg, Oct 16, 6:20am
I usually steam it.

sampa, Oct 16, 6:46am
Hi dollmakernz there isn't really a best way, they're all good. :) Boil it (lightly) or steam it or grill it on the BBQ. all are good. Serve it in it's naked glory or get 'flash' and dose it with a dab of butter or some olive oil and a slurp of lemon juice. add a wee sprinkle of salt and pepper if that fits your taste buds. It's all yum and an eye opening adventure away from the canned stuff (which my hubby loves just like yours but he's happy to enjoy Springs bounty when it's on offer. :)

If you have leftovers make a yummy omelette or. well, so many things LOL. Hope he enjoys and you do too!

PS - don't over cook it to the grey/green stage, ideally you want it bright green and just so to bring out those lovely fresh flavours.

~enjoy

illusion_, Oct 16, 7:28am
snap any woody bottom ends off (as in post #3), drizzle on a little olive oil, salt and pepper them, then chuck them on the bbq, or into a pan on the cooktop. turn as the heat browns them and voila. While I like them steamed as well, bbq'd or fried like this is FAR better

sarahb5, Oct 16, 9:52am
I like mine just simmered until tender then served with butter, black pepper and a little lemon juice - maybe a dollop of aioli or Japanese mayo for dipping

nz_nicola, Oct 16, 8:41pm
I crumb mine ( usually a Parmesan cheese crumb) then bake or cook on the barbie ( on tin foil), serve with a little aioli on the side to dip them in, people go crazy over them

issymae, Oct 16, 8:44pm
used to love asparagus on scones with plenty of butter and pepper and salt- scones were made with fresh cream and the asparagus was out of dads vege garden on the farm; can't beat farm fresh

dollmakernz, Oct 17, 7:58am
I'm converted! I really liked it. Just boiled and salt, pepper and butter tonight.
Will definitely be buying it again and will try all of your suggestions.
Thanks so much for the advice :)

sampa, Oct 17, 8:17am
That's great! What did your husband think of it? Did he like it too?

dollmakernz, Oct 17, 8:35am
Yes he did like it, but the goon said he still likes the tinned gunk! That's sacrilege! LOL! I can't even handle the smell of the tinned asparagus, it reeks!

skyblue17, Oct 19, 10:54am
2 or 3 spears wrapped in streaky bacon and grilled or fried. Great with horseradish or garlic aoli. Do a whole pan full. it's the best.

karlymouse, Oct 19, 11:12am
Annabel advised tonight that snap them and then add one cup of water (for rather a large amount of say 3 handfuls of asp. and a knob of butter) book covered for 5 minutes.

karlymouse, Oct 19, 11:13am
An interesting aside is that a relative of mine who worked in a cake shop many years ago. they used to mash up tinned peas with salt and pepper and make rolls of them and it was 'poor mans asparagus'

dibble35, Oct 19, 7:39pm
I cooked them how she advised after watching her show last night, they were alright. i'm sorry to admit but I like the tinned ones better as well.

ruby19, Oct 19, 7:46pm
Made this tonight really tasty. I measured the orzo, but for the rest I just used the recipe as a guage. 

Creamy Orzo with Asparagus & Parmesan 

Ingredients:1 cup orzo 
1 cup asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces 
1 tbsp butter or margarine 
1/4 to 1/2 cup cream
 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
 Salt & Pepper, to taste 

Directions:Bring a large sauce pan of water (filled about halfway) to a boil over medium heat. Cook the orzo until tender, about 10 minutes.
After the orzo has been cooking for about 5 minutes, add the asparagus to the same pot (this will allow the orzo and asparagus to cook in the same pot and keep the clean-up to a minimum!).
Once the orzo and asaparagus are cooked and tender, drain and return to the pot.
Quickly add the parmesan cheese and butter. Stir thoroughly, allowing both the cheese and butter to melt.
Slowly add the cream to the mixture, while stirring. Continue to stir and add cream until you reach your desired consistency.
Season with salt and pepper.
I found it does need to be seasoned well with salt. Also I added my asparagus thicker parts in with the orzo, and added the finer parts a bit later.

samanya, Oct 20, 4:47am
Oh ruby, that sounds like my kind of dish, thanks.
I reckon a dash of Prenzel's Lemon Vinaigrette could be a 'goer' on that too
I have a 3 year old asparagus bed & it's starting to look great, but I have a problem . I keep eating it raw as I wander past, many times a day!

fey, Oct 22, 2:46am
Best way to eat asparagus?

Lightly boil (three minutes or so). Drain and leave covered to cool slightly.
Soft boil a couple of eggs.
Dip asparagus into eggy yolk like soldiers. mmmmmmmm.

uli, Oct 22, 3:59am
Asparagus season is under way - so bump for another year.

awoftam, Oct 22, 5:43am
Slice and cook pancetta. In a separate pan poach some asparagus and an egg. Lay asparagus on plate, sprinkle with the crispy pancetta, top with the (very) soft egg and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bellisima!

kay141, Oct 22, 6:08am
I have two eggs and use streaky bacon but the method is the same.

samanya, Oct 22, 6:54am
I made Annabel Langbein's asparagus, lemon risotto for dinner tonight. Awesome!
http://www.annabel-langbein.com/recipes/asparagus-spinach--lemon-risotto/327