Could NOT resist that asparagus at the stoopidmark

Page 1 / 2
charlieb2, Oct 5, 5:00am
-et tonight.....YUMO!!!!!!!

Lightly steamed with butter and black pepper.... mmmmmm

bedazzledjewels, Oct 5, 6:23am
I can't resist it either Charlie! Wipes butter off chin!

deus701, Oct 5, 6:38am
Go crazy! Have asparagus for dessert too!

i have an aspraragus ice cream recipe somewhere if interested

charlieb2, Oct 5, 8:05am
lol... dazz, indeed!!

I couldnt wait for it to have with dinner, so an entree is was......YUM.

books4nz, Oct 5, 9:14am
Was dinner here too - with fresh wholemeal bread - yum!

elliehen, Oct 5, 10:10am
Try it with a vinaigrette dressing and a chewy ciabatta :)

nik12, Oct 5, 10:27am
I got sucked in as well! I'll be having it tomorrow though, will be thinking of it all day... just lightly steamed with a bit of pepper on it.

vixen, Oct 5, 10:30am
Yum asparagus! Try roasting it with olive oil, garlic and pepper. Delish!

alewis, Oct 5, 11:09am
yuck

cookessentials, Oct 5, 6:00pm
We bought two beautiful bags from "Tender Tips" growers over on the coast on the weekend. First night was asparagus risotto second night was lightly steamed with a little butter and lemon juice drizzled over the top. Also have a local a few streets away that grow and sell it. Tender Tips sell the plants too which I am considering for our vege garden ( kept contained!) for some fresh spears next year.

chooky, Oct 5, 9:47pm
We had it last night too, just steamed. Yum.I even planted some plants in the weekend, got from plant barn. The hardest part is waiting the 2-3 years. So looks like I will still be buying for a few more years.!!!

cookessentials, Oct 5, 10:00pm
According to the tender tips people, you will get a few spears next year and they then clump each year,so keep them in check.

beaker59, Oct 5, 10:11pm
Chooky feed them well and resist the spears next year then year two will be a boomer, they like Chooky poo ;)

charlieb2, Oct 6, 12:07am
hee hee ali,,,

*hands ali some stuffed capsicum*

daleaway, Oct 6, 12:20am
Had some at a posh restaurant with a delicious sauce that seemed to me to be sweetened reduced balsamic vinegar. Really tasty.

cookessentials, Oct 6, 12:24am
Brilliant, thanks beaker

obviousas, Oct 6, 1:14am
Are they really good as a detoxificer?

Why do I ask? it is the after effects - the smell in the piss. I reckon there is some nutritionist or herbalist who knows.

purplegoanna, Oct 6, 1:29am
we have it steamed then on the plate with a soft/med boiled egg cut in half sitting/dribbling ontop of the asparagus then the trick is to carefully drop about 10drops of balsamic vinegar into the yolk! saw it on rick stein one day and hes right it fantastic, makes a nice entree.

cookessentials, Oct 6, 1:55am
Here is a bit of useless info for you obviousas

You may have heard the tall tale that "asparagus urine" is linked to higher intelligence. In fact, it's the result of a simple chemical reaction. Asparagus contains a sulfur compound called mercaptan. (It's also found in rotten eggs, onions, garlic, and in the secretions of skunks.) When your digestive tract breaks down this substance, by-products are released that cause the funny scent. The process is so quick that your urine can develop the distinctive smell within 15 to 30 minutes of eating asparagus.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 6, 1:58am
And it's the ability to smell it that varies from person to person...

cookessentials, Oct 6, 2:05am
Yes, apparently so...some people do not notice it at all.

winnie231, Oct 6, 4:27am
My german ex-MIL always kept the asparagus cooking water, chilled it & drank it as a tonic!

charlieb2, Oct 6, 4:40am
lol.. dont think the tablespoon or thereabouts of water I put in my asparagus would help very much!!! lol

spotswood, Oct 6, 6:09am
Fresh asparagus is always nice with hollandaise sauce too ! couldn't resist it ,had it tonite !!

obviousas, Oct 6, 10:58am
Thx! not useless. I know what to do if I camp in the outback. Have asparagus and then mark it around the tent to keep the snakes away. Sulphur keep snakes away.