Bread cases can anyone help

infinityjrc, Dec 19, 3:28am
Should the bread be stale or fresh?Is there anything you can do to stop the filling from making the bottom of he bread soggy?What fillings are nice without causing the bread to become too soggy?

caroline66, Dec 19, 3:33am
I use fairly fresh bread but freeze it slightly so it doesn't rip when you butter it.Cut into rounds, butter both sides then into the tins.Bake on a reasonably high heat but watch them carefully because they will burn easily!You can put a bit of grated cheese on the bottom to help reinforce the bottoms.Creamed corn and grated cheese on top then grilled are really yummy.Alternatively, make a prawn cocktail filling and serve cold.

caroline66, Dec 19, 3:34am
PS: Thin white bread is best.

goodstuff3, Dec 19, 4:41am
Uesd to make these all the time for functions - used sandwich bread (white, brown, seeded etc).Stacked about 8 - 10 slices of bread, cut off crusts (so still square), buttered ONE side off the bread and placed buttered side down in deep muffin tin, (pressed in to make cup shape), would cook 2-3 trays at a time in oven but change trays around so each one evenly golden.
Fillings, hot - creamed mushrooms:chicken and mushrooms: smoked fish in white sauce with parsley: corn' and cheese: cheese sauce with chunky ham, onion, tomato: spaghetti, cheese, bacon, pizza herbs
Fillings, cold - base of finely shredded lettuce topped with surimi or shrimpsor prawn in cocktail/seafood sauce: chopped smoked mussel with diced red onion: dollop of sour cream with sliced cold roast beef and tomato relish, diced red and green peppers, olives and feta cheese....
By not cutting the bread into rounds these become more timesaving and filling, although rounds like more ...genteel..........

camper18, Dec 19, 7:35pm
Dont put the filling in the cases until your ready to reheat in the oven. No problem with soggy bottoms then. Iv'e made thousands and never had a problem.

marywea, Dec 19, 9:06pm
If I need to do them ahead of time I use mashed potato with lots of additions, bacon, cheese, onion etc.

chooky, Dec 19, 9:16pm
I use to alway make these at a cafe I worked in.Used fresh sandwich bread, cut of edges and then rolled them flat with rolling pin.Never cracked or split.

fruitluva2, Nov 18, 1:17pm
Cream cheese with chopped sundried tomato and tinned asparagus mixed thru. Spoon into prepared toasted bread cases.