Xmas fruit mince pies, question please?

dna187, Dec 18, 11:07pm
when you make the xmas fruit mince pies, how do you make
the little tops as in like the criss cross thingys, that are similar to the one in the shops. advice please.

lx4000, Dec 18, 11:24pm
roll pastry out.
cut into strips.
milk or butter outside crust and lay over, lightly pressing in.
If you wish, twist as laying them over. Have fun and try different things out.
(barloo)

buzzy110, Dec 18, 11:26pm
Lattice I think is what you mean. I'd think they use a lattice cutter on commercial baked goods. I found one yesterday. It is full size. Just cut the whole thing then use a smaller cutter to cut out tops to size of tarts. Hardest part would be transferring cut lattice to tart and maintain shape.

Another fiddly way is to roll out pastry, cut into thin strips. Create a lattice from strip, pressing lightly where each strip intersects to stick, cut to size, etc.

Another really good idea is to let the commercial boys have their lattice and use a small star cutter and pop a star on top of each tart instead. Just a thought. It is what I like to do.

annie.nz, Dec 19, 12:04am
I've made lattice from little strips - as the others have said, cut thin strips, stick say 3 strips to one end of the bottom, then start weaving strips through at right angles to make a lattice.But I generally now just use solid tops.Just have fun with it.

dna187, Dec 19, 12:17am
hi so where would i buy a lattice cutter, as im making probably a zillion fruit mince pies, and dont fancy doing all the little strips on each one. thanks

dna187, Dec 19, 12:17am
oh yeah a star cutter, hmm, wonder where id get that.

dna187, Dec 19, 12:18am
oh yes, having to lift the lattice up and on to the pie might be tricky to do to each pie, having to make sure it doesnt change shape.

cookessentials, Nov 20, 6:10pm
These are the best lattic pie toppers, no fiddly cutting at all, ust place pastry over the top and roll over it with rolling pin and it's done.
http://www.norpro.com/store/search/product_name/latticeproduct #3258 is brilliant.