tomato (i use two)
chopped ham or crispy bacon or salami
boiled diced egg ( i use six)
capsicum if you like

dressing is

1/2 tin condensed milk
1/2 - 1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
malt vinegar
mix together til the consistency you like, add more mustard or vinegar until it tastes the way you want (gives dressing a bite)
\\mix all together, cover in glad wrap in the fridge.

knowsley, Nov 21, 8:15am
Bumping for the Xmas Grinches.

juliewn, Nov 21, 11:57am
One of our favourites.

Tangy Cucumber Salad:

Place in a saucepan and heat slowly until the sugar is dissolved:

1 cup white or white wine vinegar),
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt.

While that's heating, peel (or leave peel on) and score 2 telegraph cucumbers or 4 short green cucumbers.
Use a fork to score the skins, so a pattern is formed.
I sometimes peel half the skin off lengthwise, in strips, so the skin left on and the scoring gives an attractive look.

Slice the cucumbers as thick as you want them - I slice them so they're about .5mm thick.
Pile the slices into jars and once the dressing is ready and is still hot, pour that over the cucumbers carefully.

Leave the lid off until the contents of the jars have cooled, then place the lid on and chill till needed.

This keeps for about a week in the fridge - great for summer meals and barbecues, when it's in the fridge ready to use anytime you want.

I've sometimes added small florets of cauliflower, sliced capsicums, sliced courgette's, very thinly sliced shallots or onions,etc. too, so a bigger range of veges is included.

timetable, Dec 17, 6:38am
nigella's christmas red slaw, couscous and wild rice salad.

usualsuspect, Dec 17, 8:38am
carrot salad made with the tin of tomato soup.

wheelz, Dec 17, 9:17am
orzo salad.Giada's version.

pickles7, Dec 18, 12:08am
Bean salad#############Dressing

I buy cans of cooked beans for this.
I try and keep 2 cans in the fridge, all the time.
Dressing.Simmer, 1 1/4 cups of malt vinegar,
1/2 cup of brown sugar,
1/2 cup of water,
1 Tbsp honey,
1 Tbsp oil,
1 1/2 tsp salt,
2 tsp soy sauce,
pepper to taste.
cool.
Pour over drained beans, try and leave the salad in the fridge a while before using.

Quotepickles7 (467 )12:07 pm, Sun 22 Aug #57

mackenzie2, Dec 18, 3:40am
In case it is not answered, I will give you the one I make, break cauli into 50cent pce size bits, sit aside, Melt 30gms butter, add 2 Tbsp brown sugar and 1 tsp curry, off heat, cool a little then add 1/2 container of ETA mayo (has to be eta) stir, then add to cauli, If you want you can add chopped nuts or parsley just before serving, Really fresh tasty salad.

grandma, Dec 18, 5:59am
Your beetroot jelly recipe please.

gardie, Dec 18, 6:09am
Copper Penny salad sounds interesting too - I'd love to see the recipe if you care to share.

uli, Nov 22, 5:24am
bump for another Xmas

bedazzledjewels, Nov 22, 5:40am
A good thread to bump. It's reminded me to go and chuck some borage seeds around.

uli, Nov 22, 5:41am
Make sure you do not wrestle with a pig while doing it .

sossie1, Nov 22, 5:44am
depending on the state of the garden, i will be making a green salad with a strawberry dressing, new potatoes with mint, coriander and butter, a pasta salad with chorizo, marinated mushrooms, caramelised red onions, and tomatoes baked in the oven with herbs and lemon

uli, Nov 22, 5:45am
sossie1 - I will be around to your place. :)

mattdylan, Nov 22, 8:03am
What the heck is this beetroot jelly! Sounds awful

uli, Nov 22, 8:09am
Maybe this one - there are lot of followers of her recipes on the boards here LOL :)
http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/beetroot-in-jelly-1651

vonkrum, Nov 22, 11:40pm
Beetroot jelly is lovely.Food in a minute had a version which I use all the time.Try it, you just might be suprised and like it.Packet of Boysenberry jelly mix, hot water, 3 tblspn red wine vinegar and a tin of diced beetroot. Looks great in the bowl and tastes yummy.

vonkrum, Nov 22, 11:45pm
Jellied beetroot recipe:This is virtually the same as the Food in a minute recipe. Boysenberry jelly is the only difference.
1.Take one packet of Port Wine Jelly - (500ml).Empty jelly chystals into a jug and dissolve in 250ml of boiling water, stir until the jelly crystals are completely dissolved.
2.1 can of diced pickled beetroot - drained well, retain liquid - at least 250 ml -( if not add white vinegar to make up 250ml) Add this to step 1
3.In a Mould or Glass Bowl arrange the diced beetroot on the bottom and carefully pour over the jelly mixture
4.Place into the fridge until completely SET
5.When ready to use turn the jelly out of the bowl or mould onto a plate and carefully cut into slices.
6.This is a nice tasting and attractive looking relish; particularly good with cold meats and salads. Enjoy.

bedazzledjewels, Nov 23, 12:08am
I think I'll go to Sossie's place too!

elliehen, Nov 23, 12:11am
That's my kind of meal.You might need to avoid the potatoes and the pasta ;)

bedazzledjewels, Nov 23, 12:24am
Yeah, but at least there'd be no beetroot dessert thingy.

uli, Nov 23, 1:00am
Great recipe - easy and cheap - but not really food!

elliehen, Nov 23, 3:22am
Food - like beauty - is in the eye of the beholder.

usualsuspect, Nov 23, 12:18pm
THIS YEAR i amserving Waldorf Salad .for a change