Pastry Question

irish15, Dec 7, 10:35pm
I have just cooked some pastry savory thingys in a muffin tin. But I can never get the bottoms of the pastry or the sides to brown up, why? Even when I take a sheet of frozen ready made pastry, then put a couple of fillings on top then put into oven the bottom of the pastry when topping is cooked is pasty white. What am I doing wrong.

squeakygirl, Dec 7, 10:52pm
I find I have to put them in the bottom of my oven - might be worth a try.

margyr, Dec 7, 10:53pm
I always spray the tins before putting the pasty in, perhaps you need to cook them abit longer?? Not sure but the only time my bases have not been cooked is when they need longer to cook, perhaps turn your oven down a fraction so the tops dont cook so quick. Is your oven on bake or grill?

irish15, Dec 7, 10:58pm
Will try bottom of oven next time, yes I sprayed the tins, receipe called for 160o for 15mins heck mine were still in 35mins and they had risen up over the muffin holes so I could see the sides were still a whitey colour but filling (egg, bacon onion was cooked) Took them out and even though they were lovely the sides and bottom werent crisp. Yes bake. Would it be because I use the pastry sheets and dont roll them thinner? Receipe said to use the sheets as is?

maxwell.inc, Dec 7, 11:05pm
Pastry needs to be cooked hot and fast... 200-220 minimum... so if a recipe is calling for 160 then yes you will end up with slimy pastry.

Metal trays are a must and then cooked filling - 220deg oven for 15-20mins.. done.. crispy all round.

susieq9, Dec 7, 11:13pm
Agree with maxwell, and also put on bottom rack of oven. Have found this all successful.

maxwell.inc, Dec 7, 11:24pm
Depends what sort of oven it is.. Fan forced/Thermo-wave then it needs to go in the middle.. Top mount only bake element.. middle.. oven with element in the floor of the oven.. then yep down the bottom.

buzzy110, Dec 8, 12:03am
Yep. What maxwell said. Sometimes I even pre-bake them using a blind. Rather fiddly with multiple little cases but well worth the effort.

irish15, Dec 8, 12:18am
great ok will give another go. thankyou all for your advice :) Rae

irish15, Dec 8, 12:45am
the tray does that have to be in oven first? or you heat oven up to temp then put pastry in. Im thinking of a pastry sheet with filling ontop not the muffin one.

margyr, Dec 8, 1:10am
cold tray, hot oven.

irish15, Dec 8, 1:14am
one more question will it stick to the tray or do you put baking paper on the tray first?

maxwell.inc, Dec 8, 1:18am
I always use baking paper regardless.. ingredients are too expensive now days to "accidentally" get stuck to a tray.

irish15, Dec 8, 1:21am
great thanks for your help

buzzy110, Dec 8, 1:22am
Not sure now if you are still talking muffin tray or oven tray. If oven tray, well that is basically a no brainer for me. I always use baking paper all the time if only because then I do not need to wash the tray, but also it absolutely ensures that nothing sticks to it and I can easily slide the product off.

Actually, now I have a set of silicone baking sheets for putting on trays. They are absolutely brilliant. Don't know how I lived all these years without them. lol.

If a muffin tray, well I wouldn't bother with baking paper unless I was doing a baking blind and then the paper goes inside the pastry.

margyr, Dec 8, 1:24am
baking paper, prick the pastry, if it is puff when you get it out of the oven gently press it down. Some put a bit of baking paper on the top and then baking beans to hold it down, but i have found the gently pressing down to get the air out while it is hot to be ok.

whitehead., Oct 7, 4:57pm
i put the tray up side down and cook them like that you keep the bottoms flat by putting a small flat tray on top and removing it about 5 minutes before they are cooked then full and warm a larger tray