Is puff pastry the same as danish pastry

rod2, Mar 8, 8:32am
wanting to make danish pastries...

kuaka, Mar 8, 8:45am
No, I watched a trained pastry chef making Danish pastries, and to be honest, it looked simple enough, and was like making puff pastry, but I think from memory all the butter is put in to start with, and then it's just a case of rolling out, folding, rolling out, folding, rolling out, folding.I can't remember how many times it's done.(I haven't made puff pastry for about 50 years - when I was at school - but I think with puff pastry only a portion of the butter is used to actually make the pastry and then extra butter is dabbed on before the pastry is folded, so if you use a quarter of the butter to make the pastry then you use a quarter for each of the three foldings).I hope this makes sense.

jessie981, Mar 8, 8:47am
Check Google. Explains difference

books4nz, Mar 8, 8:51am

rod2, Mar 8, 8:59am
Checked google and I thought I could cheat and buy puff pastry.

elliehen, Mar 8, 9:09am
Go ahead and cheat.There's a pure butter Edmonds ready-rolled pastry called 'Butter Puff'.

lilyfield, Mar 8, 9:16am
but the end result will not be a danish pastry-nothing like it.

kuaka, Mar 8, 9:22am
oh I forgot, danish pastry has yeast in it.

kinna54, Mar 8, 9:56am
No. kuaka is on to it. Haven't done it myself, but like kuaka have watched others.
It is an acquired technique, (sadly one I didn't acquire lol, was toldi had leaden hands) Has a lot of butter, definitely has yeast.

buzzy110, Mar 8, 11:40am
Danish pastry and croissants are made with the same basic dough. "The dough is similar to baguette dough with a sheet of butter folded and rolled into the dough to create a rich, buttery, flaky, yeasty pastry. For Danish pastries the dough is enriched with sugar and eggs."

shaun16, Mar 8, 5:51pm
yep danish pastry has HEAPS of butter rolled into it, way more than other pastries and also some yeast and flavouring like lemon. also eggs and sugar as said above. nothing like normal pastry

rod2, Mar 9, 8:32am
wanting to make danish pastries.

kuaka, Mar 9, 8:45am
No, I watched a trained pastry chef making Danish pastries, and to be honest, it looked simple enough, and was like making puff pastry, but I think from memory all the butter is put in to start with, and then it's just a case of rolling out, folding, rolling out, folding, rolling out, folding.I can't remember how many times it's done.(I haven't made puff pastry for about 50 years - when I was at school - but I think with puff pastry only a portion of the butter is used to actually make the pastry and then extra butter is dabbed on before the pastry is folded, so if you use a quarter of the butter to make the pastry then you use a quarter for each of the three foldings).I hope this makes sense.

books4nz, Mar 9, 8:51am

elliehen, Mar 9, 9:09am
Go ahead and cheat.There's a pure butter Edmonds ready-rolled pastry called 'Butter Puff'.

kinna54, Mar 9, 9:56am
No. kuaka is on to it. Haven't done it myself, but like kuaka have watched others.
It is an acquired technique, (sadly one I didn't acquire lol, was toldi had leaden hands) Has a lot of butter, definitely has yeast.