Pastry for

virea, Jun 26, 2:49am
what pastry do you use for custard squares. I used puff and even punctured it enough to look like a sieve but it still puffed up.Flakey perhaps?

samsnan, Jun 26, 3:18am
When you take it out of the oven just put it on a cooling rack and carefully put an oven tray over it. The weight will take it down.

virea, Jun 26, 3:20am
thank you samsnan. will do that next time.

jessie981, Jun 26, 4:30am
Didn't the lady on Good Morning the other day put the roasting dish on top when she cooked it? Not sure as I only caught the end.

zappi, Jun 27, 2:15am
My nan always used to use the Sao biscuits for top and bottom and they then cut easily into squares.Iced with passionfruit icing.

virea, Jun 27, 2:49am
what pastry do you use for custard squares. I used puff and even punctured it enough to look like a sieve but it still puffed up.Flakey perhaps!

jessie981, Jun 27, 4:30am
Didn't the lady on Good Morning the other day put the roasting dish on top when she cooked it! Not sure as I only caught the end.

krazy_kat, Jun 28, 11:29am
Yip she did, pan on top while cooking.

lythande1, Jun 28, 7:38pm
That's the same thing. Yo either have the puff/flakey or standard.

rosathemad, Jun 28, 8:19pm
I usually use a teatowel to press it down after it comes out of the oven. :-) If you cooked it with a tray on top it would stay flat but the layers might not form so well, and I really like the flakiness.

margyr, Jun 28, 9:25pm
puff pastry, pricked baked, and then gently use rolling pin to flatten as soon as it comes out of the oven.

holdenss, Jun 29, 6:02am
Give it a extra fold or 2 before rolling out to take some of the flake out of It.

marcs, Jun 29, 8:51am
Why don't you put another tray on top while baking to hold it down so that it is flat and does not rise. Make sure you put a piece of baking paper on top.

lythande1, Jun 29, 7:38pm
That's the same thing. Yo either have the puff/flakey or standard.

holdenss, Jun 30, 4:25am
Freezing before baking also minimizes rise.

marcs, Jun 30, 8:51am
Why don't you put another tray on top while baking to hold it down so that it is flat and does not rise. Make sure you put a piece of baking paper on top.

kennymac, Jul 1, 5:42am
I use Huntley and Palmer cream crackers.Everyone assumes it is pastry.