10KG potatos question

rad_raspberry, Dec 7, 4:14am
just out of curiosity, how long would a 10kg bag of potatos last for a family of 2 adults, a 13 year old and a 7 year old. we seem to go thru a 10kg a week and i am wondering if thats normal? thanks

gardie, Dec 7, 4:32am
When we were on a very limited budget we used to go through a lot - I could make a few different potato dishes.These days, with only 3 at home, 10kg would last me 3 months - I hate peeling potatoes so we grow them now so I can boil them with skin on.Have them maybe 2-3 times a week.

10kg is a little over 1kg a day which is 4 large potatoes I'm guessing. - are you healthy?if so, then its not a problem.

nfh1, Dec 7, 4:34am
This seems like an impossible question to answer - how often do you have potatoes a week, what accompaniments - do you have large portions, small etc.We are two adults here who seem to eat a lot of potatoes but 10 kgs would last us a month.

I don't think there is a normal potato consumption amount, but I may be wrong, occasionally am!!

gerry64, Dec 7, 4:42am
I just bought 10kgs of really clean good quality desire spuds from Harris Farmers Market in the mall in Bathurst for $1.98 for the 10kgs-why are they so expensive inNZ -

maryteatowel1, Dec 7, 4:47am
250 to 350gms of potato a day is not too bad...a scoop of chips is between 300gms and 500gms...how much wastage do you get???

http://www.stuff.co.nz/taranaki-daily-news/news/3760375/Scoop-of-chips-far-from-standard

dezzie, Dec 7, 5:05am
I don't know the answer to that, but I'd be interested to know how the hell the growers make any money at all at those prices, are there still agricultural subsidies in aus?

uli, Dec 7, 5:17am
Funny question really - it depends how often you eat potatoes and how much per person.

It could be 1.5kg a day every day - or only 1 or 2 kg a week - if you eat rice, pasta and other stuff like pumpkin etc as well as potatoes.

lala2, Dec 7, 6:24am
We are a family of 6, 2 adults 4children aged 12-4. We go through a 10kg bag of spuds every 2wks, eat potates prob 5 times a week.

rad_raspberry, Dec 7, 8:17am
we have mashed potato every night, hubby has heeps of it and throws a wobbly if i try and give him less lol.

charlieb2, Dec 7, 8:36am
We are a similar family to you.. and I guess if we ate spuds every night of the week we'd probably do close to a 10kgs bag.. Mr is a Spud lover.....

So that would equal a large portion for him and smaller for me and our two boys...

I wouldnt say it was over the top...

charlieb2, Dec 7, 8:37am
If everyone is happy and healthy... then its not a problem really.

kuaka, Oct 4, 3:49pm
oh rad_raspberry - a fellow being!My hubby has 40 fits if he doesn't have his spuds and if we ever have rice (occasionally) or pasta (very rarely) he still wants his spuds with it.10kg lasts us about 10 - 12 days, on average.I buy a 10kg sack of spuds more than once a fortnight and there's just the two of us.