Desserts...

duckmoon, Nov 30, 8:16am
Right folks:
I am on desserts this Christmas - cooking for eight adults and six children (15-6 years);
because I work on christmas morning - need to be made the night before (or earlier).

I asked my sister in law today "what is your mother's favourite dessert" - she answered "anything with lemon"...

Ideas please.

duckmoon, Nov 30, 8:17am
PS: things I have cooked in the past;
chocolate mousse, nigella's chocolate cherry trifle, banoffee pie, pav (of course - its christmas!), a christmas pudding ice cream.

So, some new ideas would be great!

duckmoon, Nov 30, 8:19am
final comment:
We have a great strawberry patch - so strawberries which were growing 20 minutes before we leave for lunch!

245sam, Nov 30, 8:26am
duckmoon, here's a nice lemony dessert that should appeal to all age groups and it's not too rich/heavy for those who have only a little space left after the main course.....

LEMON DELIGHT
1 cup unsweetened condensed (evaporated) milk – WELL chilled
1 x 85g packet lemon jelly crystals
1 cup boiling water
½ tsp grated lemon rind
3 tbsp lemon juice
¼ cup sugar – I usually use icing sugar because it dissolves so readily

Dissolve the jelly crystals in the boiling water, then add the lemon rind and 2 tbsp lemon juice. Cool and allow to thicken slightly, but not set. Whip the chilled evaporated milk, then add the sugar and the remaining 1 tbsp lemon juice. Continue to whip until the milk mixture is thick and creamy, then add the cooled jelly and continue to whip until fluffy. Pour into tall glasses or a serving dish and chill well.
For an orange version of this use orange jelly crystals and orange rind and juice or make a 50/50 (orange and lemon) version using lemon jelly crystals and orange rind and juice, or orange jelly crystals and lemon rind and juice. You may like to reduce the sugar quantity when using orange rind and juice, depending on the sweetness of the oranges.
As with so many desserts, I believe that this one also benefits from being made at least one day ahead.:-))

lawman1, Nov 30, 8:38am
I have heard great reports about Annabel Langbein's strawberry cloud cake although haven't tried it myself yet.
Base:
150g plain sweet biscuits (made into fine crumbs)
1/2cup dessicated coconut
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
100g butter, melted
Mix altogether and line a 26-28cm spring form cake tin lined with baking paper.Refrigerate while preparing base.

Filling:
2 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 punnet strawberries
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla extract

Place egg whites, sugar, sliced strawberries, lemon juice and vanilla in a clean dry bowl of an electric beater. Beat on high for 6-8 mins until mixture is very thick and fluffy and hte sugar is dissolved. You should not feel any gritty sugar after this time. If you do beat for longer.
Spoon over chilled base, smooth top, cover with baking paper and freeze for at least 4 hours. Will keep in airtight container in freezer for up to a month.
Serve frozen

geldof, Nov 30, 9:34am
Is really nice.I added rose water to mine, and topped it with berries.

rubyjane11, Nov 30, 9:35am
lemon meringue pie

elliehen, Nov 30, 10:06am
Lemon Posset(serves 6-8)

600ml cream
2/3 cup sugar
100ml lemon juice
Grated rind of 1 lemon ( or 2).

Bring cream and sugar to boil in saucepan, stirring constantly.
Reduce to a simmer and continue to stir for 3 minutes.

Remove from heat and stir in the lemon rind and juice.

Pour into 6 or 8 small ramekins.

Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.

Serve with a few berriesor a berry couli.

cookessentials, Nov 30, 5:37pm
will bump the desserts thread for you

geldof, Nov 30, 7:45pm
REALLY nice!No one seems to make it now.I serve in shot glasses with a drizzle of limemcello.Makes heaps, is very rich, so actually works out quite economical.

pamellie, Nov 30, 9:46pm
What about Lemon and Lime Cheesecake?

suzanna, Nov 30, 10:07pm
Have to agree with geldof I do the same. Sometimes I serve as one of a taste plate of desserts which includes the possets, small piece ofshortbread, small square of rich chocolate brownie, strawberries which have been sprinkled with balsamic vinegar (some hours prior), small lemon curd tart topped with tiny star-shaped meringue. Sugared violets on the white serving plate add finishing touch...yes I know rich rich and rich but such a treat and there is never anything left. All these could be made way before and just assembled on the day. Merry Christmas now its the 1st December.

geldof, Sep 19, 11:00pm
Do you do out catering?lolwelcome at my place any day.