Real Clotted cream

Page 1 / 4
kiwitrish, Nov 27, 8:07pm
Really love this and have not been able to find it in NZ until the other day.There is a Christchurch company that sells it and post all over NZ.Going to order some on Monday.Yummy.

dreamers, Nov 27, 8:12pm
There is a recipe in the weekendpullout section of the NZ herald how to make it in the crockpot,looks very easy .

245sam, Nov 27, 8:14pm
Thanks for the info' kiwitrish, can you please give us more details - Company name, contact details, etc.
Although I don't need to be eating clotted cream, after enjoying it during our visit to the UK, I'm really pleased to know that it is available locally for an occasional treat.TIA.:-))

kiwitrish, Nov 27, 8:18pm
Here you go sam.Click on the Cornish page. http://www.countryfayre.co.nz/pages/50alform.html

245sam, Nov 27, 8:25pm
Thanks for that kiwitrish - it's very likely that we will be in Leeston next weekend so it's looking like a visit to the Cafe is a 'must do' and maybe we'll come home with some clotted cream too.:-))

nfh1, Nov 27, 8:26pm
No I will not look.

I will not look

Well perhaps just a little peak at the site - but not buying..............

kiwitrish, Nov 27, 8:42pm
Go on.You know you want to. lol

kiwitrish, Nov 27, 8:43pm
You must let me know what the cafe is like.I can't wait to make a real cream tea with the clotted cream.It will bring back happy memories.

245sam, Nov 27, 8:49pm
Will do kiwitrish, if we get there - we hope to be in Leeston for the weekend and will certainly check out the Cafe and its goodies if poss. but with other commitments it may be too full-on for us to do so this time however there's always another time.....and it's on the way to Ashburton where my Mum lives.Thanks again.:-))

socram, Nov 27, 9:00pm
Last time I was in Cornwall, I bought a book on "Clotted Cream".Just haven't yet got around to making it - yet.

Most of those people offeringcream teas in NZ should be prosecuted under the trades descriptions act...If it isn't clotted cream, it isn't a Devonshire/Cornish cream tea.You don't have butter on the scone (or Cornish split) either.

Thank you kiwitrish for that.

dreamers - I missed that aricle! Which section?Saturday's Herald?

nfh1, Nov 27, 9:08pm
Absolutely and the ones who serve them with that squirty cream stuff which disappears before your eyes!

rainrain1, Nov 27, 10:23pm
There were dairy cockys selling it down this-a-way, don't know whether she still does or not.....we were given a pottle to try, but we don't like it

dreamers, Nov 28, 12:22am
Socram, it is in the W section that has TV listings ,under the Q and A,s from Peter Gordon.

neil_di, Nov 28, 2:13am
dreamers... would you please share the method from the herald if it is not too complicated Thanks Di

dreamers, Nov 28, 3:31am
Here it is .
1 litre full cream milk,500 mls cream.invert saucer in slow cooker ,mix cream and milk tog in a container that can fit in the cooker but has a big surface area.put container on top of saucer and fill cooker to within 4cm of top of container [there is no mention whether to use warm or cold water ]put onto slow setting .next morning a crust has formed,leave to cool,put into fridge for 10 hours ,take crust and cream of the top and there is the clotted cream.use the left over cream to make scones

neil_di, Nov 28, 4:01am
Thank you very much..will give it a go :)

buzzy110, Nov 28, 4:09am
Just clicked onto that page but I can't find an ingredients list. Some company used to sell clotted cream through the supermarkets. It got a write up in Cuisine and all. I got all excited and nearly bought some till I read the ingredients label. Sadly if that additive filled load of tripe were clotted cream then south eastern English farmers must have all been food technologists for centuries.

Now I am always wary. I'm xing my fingers and hoping this is the genuine article. Would you let us all know when it arrives?

vintagekitty, Nov 28, 4:15am
Kemp Roberts used to manufacture it and distribute it around NZ, I dont know if they still do, they make the chocolate dipping sauces as well. its a little white pottle with gold foil lid. You used to be able to get it in the larger supermarkets as well

vintagekitty, Nov 28, 4:16am
I know you can buy it at the Otago Farmers markets as well

davidt4, Nov 28, 4:22am
I am trying this out today and I will report tomorrow after it has had its time in the fridge.

skydancing, Nov 28, 5:01am
I thought I read in a magazine lately that you just arent allowed to make and sell clotted cream in New Zealand? Something to do with pasteurisation? I could be wrong though.

seniorbones, Nov 28, 8:01am
No your right skydancing, I too ready something about why its no longer available. I like marscapone instead but adore clotted cream if its available.

cookessentials, Nov 28, 8:22am
http://curiouskai.blogspot.com/2009/10/diy-clotted-cream.html

Instructions on making your own..as near as you can get at least.

weezil, Nov 28, 10:00am
I emailed the place in post 1 and they emailed me the cost of their cream...180g pottle is $9.00 and their 500g pottle is $25.00...then postage on top of that..

trah, Nov 29, 12:39am
Bump to hear progress on davidt4's attempt.....